ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT U20 Olympic Qualification

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
They might finally do it. Strong group. Check this pass from Paxton Aaronson.

Not nearly enough "oooooooooooooooooooo"-s in that dude's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal call.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The US really could have been up a lot more than 1-0 at the half, but the Costal Rican goalie made a couple really nice saves. On the other hand, right after the US made it 2-0 the Ricans missed a PK that would have gotten them back in the game.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The US really could have been up a lot more than 1-0 at the half, but the Costal Rican goalie made a couple really nice saves. On the other hand, right after the US made it 2-0 the Ricans missed a PK that would have gotten them back in the game.
The US was better than CR but they didn't clearly dominate. Their play out of the back was the worst I'd ever seen. Never seen so many "near steals" and misplays out of the back. They're in the U20 World Cup, great, they always make that. But the big game is next as its for Olympic qualification. They'll need to beat Honduras in Honduras in front of a rabid sell-out crowd in a game where they'll probably be a slight underdog. Honduras kept us out of the last 2 Olympics and now they have us at their place. Its going to be a big ask for the US as we never win road games in Central America on any level. They'll certainly have to clean up their play in the back.

Overall, not impressed with this team. I see Aaronson working his way to the full team eventually and maybe Quinn Sullivan but there arent any future stars. I've said before there is a big drop off after the Pulisic/McKennie generation. I get that that's the best generation we've ever had but this generation doesnt look much better to me than what was between Donovan/Dempsey and Pulisic/McKennie. The announcer speaks highly of Diego Luna, who RSL set a USL/MSL record transfer fee for their purchase from El Paso. He had a nice game vs Nicaragua but didn't so much vs CR.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The 2nd half was a snooze fest. Looked like HS boys soccer. But man, did Costa Rica find themselves another Navas? Sure looked like it last night. Lol.

The US was better than CR but they didn't clearly dominate. Their play out of the back was the worst I'd ever seen. Never seen so many "near steals" and misplays out of the back. They're in the U20 World Cup, great, they always make that. But the big game is next as its for Olympic qualification. They'll need to beat Honduras in Honduras in front of a rabid sell-out crowd in a game where they'll probably be a slight underdog. Honduras kept us out of the last 2 Olympics and now they have us at their place. Its going to be a big ask for the US as we never win road games in Central America on any level. They'll certainly have to clean up their play in the back.

Overall, not impressed with this team. I see Aaronson working his way to the full team eventually and maybe Quinn Sullivan but there arent any future stars. I've said before there is a big drop off after the Pulisic/McKennie generation. I get that that's the best generation we've ever had but this generation doesnt look much better to me than what was between Donovan/Dempsey and Pulisic/McKennie. The announcer speaks highly of Diego Luna, who RSL set a USL/MSL record transfer fee for their purchase from El Paso. He had a nice game vs Nicaragua but didn't so much vs CR.
I’m hearing a lot of hype for Luna. Invisible last night but it happens.

The 2nd half was a snooze fest. Looked like HS boys soccer. But man, did Costa Rica find themselves another Navas? Sure looked like it last night. Lol.
That was horrible. From the play on the field, to the field to the stadium. It looked like Woody Hills high soccer vs Gateway at the Wolvarena?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That was horrible. From the play on the field, to the field to the stadium. It looked like Woody Hills high soccer vs Gateway at the Wolvarena?
Wolverina is a good example. I was thinking Hershey Park Stadium myself. All very similar. But by concacaf standards that wasn’t too bad. Haha.

I was actually thinking of what WPIAL stadiums it reminded me of and was thinking WH. It reminded me of one of those old 1920s river steel mill town concrete stadiums that hasn't been touched in 70 years or so. Would be an embarrassing venue for a HS and we have to play a road game in that place to qualify for the Olympics. Bring on UEFA.

I was actually thinking of what WPIAL stadiums it reminded me of and was thinking WH. It reminded me of one of those old 1920s river steel mill town concrete stadiums that hasn't been touched in 70 years or so. Would be an embarrassing venue for a HS and we have to play a road game in that place to qualify for the Olympics. Bring on UEFA.
You’ve just described HersheyPark Stadium, the place where the PIAA hosts almost 20 games each year for boys/girls football and soccer championships. It might be a huge concrete jungle but it is a good experience for the students as they get to do Chocolate World and take it all in with their teammates. With all this being said, I bet it’s exactly what old Wembley stadium was like.

Concacaf, folks…
The Dominican Republic and Guatemala reached the semi and will both be in the U20 World Cup and the winner will be in the Olympics.

Dominican Republic vs Guatemala
USA vs Honduras

lol.

Cowell is one of their best players. And he just got concacafed. Complete bullshit if anyone saw it.

Concacaf, folks…
The Dominican Republic and Guatemala reached the semi and will both be in the U20 World Cup and the winner will be in the Olympics.

USA vs Honduras

lol.

Looks like Guatemala - Mexico went to penalties, where the Mexican PK takers missed four of five.

Cowell is one of their best players. And he just got concacafed. Complete bullshit if anyone saw it.

That must have happened well after the game ended, because I watched it to the end and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, NINE Coast Rican players were suspended for the incident, two for six games and seven for three games.

Concacaf, folks…

USA vs Honduras

lol.
The DR side has me curious. I wonder if those were players from other countries who had DR ancestry. Soccer isnt big at all there.

Figures we get our "Olympic Qualifying Ghana" again while the DR/Guatemela winner gets to go.

The DR side has me curious. I wonder if those were players from other countries who had DR ancestry. Soccer isnt big at all there.

Figures we get our "Olympic Qualifying Ghana" again while the DR/Guatemela winner gets to go.
I’m in charlotte and will try to find a good establishment tonight to watch the match. I mean, there isn’t anything else anyone would be watching here. No one in a non MLB market would be watching a baseball game. What kind of a dork would be requesting a U20 game in a bar though? I’ll probably get a few strange looks.

Reactions: USN_Panther
9pm tonight they play for Olympic qualification. If they win, here are some players who would be eligible to play. Maybe SMF will get his olympic wish.

9pm tonight they play for Olympic qualification. If they win, here are some players who would be eligible to play. Maybe SMF will get his olympic wish.

Honduras 2
USA 1

No way our softies can win a crucial game like this on the road in Central America. The grass won't be cut to their liking and people will hurt their feelings by calling them mean names

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Honduras 2
USA 1

No way our softies can win a crucial game like this on the road in Central America. The grass won't be cut to their liking and people will hurt their feelings by calling them mean names
Biden voters? ;)

Keep in mind that if we qualify for the Olympics almost none of those guys will be released by their club teams to play.

And if they are it will be because they aren't considered important players at their club.

Keep in mind that if we qualify for the Olympics almost none of those guys will be released by their club teams to play.

And if they are it will be because they aren't considered important players at their club.
Yeah I get that and that was my original thought too. But then guys like Richarlison played for Brazil last year.

Yeah I get that and that was my original thought too. But then guys like Richarlison played for Brazil last year.

Yeah, we had this discussion before the last Olympics. There will be a couple players released, but most will not be.

Remember that SMF was certain that Neymar was going to be playing for Brazil and that Messi might be playing for Argentina.

Sp
Yeah, we had this discussion before the last Olympics. There will be a couple players released, but most will not be.

Remember that SMF was certain that Neymar was going to be playing for Brazil and that Messi might be playing for Argentina.
maybe it was from that discussion but those countries feel a lot differently about the Olympics than everywhere else in the world. Uruguay counts their olympic gold medals and they are represented on their crest with stars. I think Uruguay has 5 stars? Olympic soccer predates the World Cup.

I never said Neymar and Messi were playing in Tokyo. I did say Neymar played in Rio.

Sp

maybe it was from that discussion but those countries feel a lot differently about the Olympics than everywhere else in the world. Uruguay counts their olympic gold medals and they are represented on their crest with stars. I think Uruguay has 5 stars? Olympic soccer predates the World Cup.

Agreed. But that's part of the point. Does anyone think that Gio Reyna grew up fantasizing about playing in the Olympics? Or Yunis Musah? Or Ricardo Pepi?

Agreed. But that's part of the point. Does anyone think that Gio Reyna grew up fantasizing about playing in the Olympics? Or Yunis Musah? Or Ricardo Pepi?
Yeah but Pulisic publicly campaigned to play. So I think someone might want to. I dunno. But Reyna by then is going to be an expensive player in Europe and he won’t be playing. I could see someone like Pepi.

Yeah but Pulisic publicly campaigned to play. So I think someone might want to. I dunno. But Reyna by then is going to be an expensive player in Europe and he won’t be playing. I could see someone like Pepi.
The Olympics are very American so yes, I do think some of those guys absolutely thought about playing in the Olympics. Was it their lifelong goal? Probably not but I'm sure they thought about it growing up and thought they'd like to do it.

This game is incredibly one sided as the score shows. But it could be 5-0. It was really fun to watch as a US fan. Their patterns of play and movements are 2 steps ahead of Honduras all over the pitch and Honduras has shown no ability to close the US’s time and space on the ball. I don’t know what the Honduras coaches are going to do at halftime because they are completely outmatched in every facet. And I hope the US coaches don’t change their tactics because there’s no possible way Honduras hits them for 3 counter attacking goals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT