ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: RJ Davis, Elijah Taylor, Timberlake, and September 21st weekend

There’s the whole pitt staff watching Davis right now. Capel shooting the sh!t with Coach K...and looks like Ewing down the row watching Davis too.

EEDD7GVXsAA8T_e

One other thing. It seems that Davis is the #1 priority based on the above pic and the fact that their first visit during this period is with Davis. Wouldn’t this tell us a lot about how they feel about X leaving?

It certainly says they are a priority recruit

It doesn’t say anything about x
well I didn’t want to say it, but since you insist on being the contrarian, i will. Its been said in certain forums through certain sources that they are preparing for X’s departure. Whether he leaves or not remains to be seen. But the threat is real, the staff is preparing, and Davis being priority #1 is telling. And if they are fortunate enough to play them together, all the better.

well I didn’t want to say it, but since you insist on being the contrarian, i will. Its been said in certain forums through certain sources that they are preparing for X’s departure. Whether he leaves or not remains to be seen. But the threat is real, the staff is preparing, and Davis being priority #1 is telling. And if they are fortunate enough to play them together, all the better.
And my reply is the same

It says nothing about x

And my reply is the same

It says nothing about x
Their top player is a soph PG, yet their top priority, in spite of their other significant needs, is also a PG. Didnt they teach you how to count in pill filling school? Because you’re having a hard time adding things up in this situation.

But you just like to argue. I get it.

Doesn’t matter that much any more. Depends on how they see a kid developing and how he projects. Steven Adams wasn’t ready either. I realize with him being a 7 footer this isn’t apples and oranges but the point remains. It only takes a few teams to see something in him.
You acknowledged this in your post but draft evaluation really is a very different equation for backcourt players. Nobody's going to draft a guard with a wonky shot with the intention of turning him into a NBA-caliber shooter. With the 1s, 2s and 3s, the NBA scouts are looking for polished gemstones with room for some physical development, not diamonds in the rough.

I would assume the coaching staff has a greater insight into X’s situation than any of us do .

Maybe not having a pg in the program isn’t such a bad idea, they could always convert a 3/4 into one !

The majority of these kids with pro potential aren’t interested in 4 yrs of college or a college degree . If X intentions are to stay at Pitt only until he’s ready to be drafted the staff needs to have his successor ready .

Great guard play trumps bigs in college ball .

Reactions: Drew1208
You acknowledged this in your post but draft evaluation really is a very different equation for backcourt players. Nobody's going to draft a guard with a wonky shot with the intention of turning him into a NBA-caliber shooter. With the 1s, 2s and 3s, the NBA scouts are looking for polished gemstones with room for some physical development, not diamonds in the rough.

Fultz, Simmons, and Ball disagree.

ETA: Not saying X is comparable to either 3.

One other thing. It seems that Davis is the #1 priority based on the above pic and the fact that their first visit during this period is with Davis. Wouldn’t this tell us a lot about how they feel about X leaving?
I think they feel X may very well leave. But if he does stay it would probably only be one more year. So either way they would feel RJ is a priority

Why make the point if they aren’t really comparable players at all?

Because there’s a discussion about X and there’s a discussion about NBA drafting priorities. NBA teams will overlook bad shooting if players excel in other areas.

Their top player is a soph PG, yet their top priority, in spite of their other significant needs, is also a PG. Didnt they teach you how to count in pill filling school? Because you’re having a hard time adding things up in this situation.

But you just like to argue. I get it.

Going into last season- nobody had x pegged as a starter nevermind a pro.

He’s a really good player.

But he’s not even the most talented or important player- that’s Trey.

And who are you he guards we have behind them?
Nothing proven.

So it’s not a surprise at all that we are targeting another ball handing guard.

No conclusions need drawn beyond that.

Going into last season- nobody had x pegged as a starter nevermind a pro.

He’s a really good player.

But he’s not even the most talented or important player- that’s Trey.

And who are you he guards we have behind them?
Nothing proven.

So it’s not a surprise at all that we are targeting another ball handing guard.

No conclusions need drawn beyond that.
Yeah and we all turned out to be wrong including every rating service.
I'll concede and say both guards are equally as important.
But obviously Capel prioritizes the PG position and that's smart.
If X makes some sort of pros next year that's a great thing, if he stays, that's a great thing.
Win, win.

Reactions: Tonyt66
I think they feel X may very well leave. But if he does stay it would probably only be one more year. So either way they would feel RJ is a priority

This. There are absolutely rumblings that they believe he is going after this year, but it is 99% he goes at the latest after his junior year, the kid has come and said he is not going stay four years.

So, yeah, when you recruit kids in these situations you tell them they can play together, while knowing in the back of your mind its a good chance he will be the starter day one cause X is likely to go.

Again, whether he is "ready for the NBA or not" is not even remotely the driving factor as to whether HE decides to go or not.

Because there’s a discussion about X and there’s a discussion about NBA drafting priorities. NBA teams will overlook bad shooting if players excel in other areas.

This was basically a Darryl Morey, Sam Heinke sort of philosophy: draft athletes with long arms, the shooting will come later. But since for a lot of those players, the shooting hasn't come, I imagine NBA teams may reevaluate that theory.

Seems like Kentucky might not have room for Omoruyi; looks like they’ll land Ware and Todd in the frontcourt and haven’t been up to visit Cliff in the live period.

Gotta think that’s good news for Pitt.

This was basically a Darryl Morey, Sam Heinke sort of philosophy: draft athletes with long arms, the shooting will come later. But since for a lot of those players, the shooting hasn't come, I imagine NBA teams may reevaluate that theory.

Sure. I just think there's still enough evidence that NBA teams will take players with deficiencies if they excel in other areas. Take Andre Roberson. He can't shoot worth a lick but his defense makes him a key cog on some of those excellent Thunder teams.

Sure. I just think there's still enough evidence that NBA teams will take players with deficiencies if they excel in other areas. Take Andre Roberson. He can't shoot worth a lick but his defense makes him a key cog on some of those excellent Thunder teams.

Yeah, they will draft them, I'm not really arguing.
Andre Roberson though was exactly the problem with having a non shooter on the floor. Teams would literally leave him wide open outside the three point line and double freely. It was sometimes downright weird to watch, and a major problem for the Thunder.

Reactions: Tonyt66
The last year Durant was in OKC Robertson was almost the reason they almost won the west with his 3 point shooting against golden state he played very well

This is like the 3rd time I've noticed Vader posts dominating the board for the better part of a week.

Well done Sir.

Reactions: DnTanna07
I would assume the coaching staff has a greater insight into X’s situation than any of us do .

Maybe not having a pg in the program isn’t such a bad idea, they could always convert a 3/4 into one !

The majority of these kids with pro potential aren’t interested in 4 yrs of college or a college degree . If X intentions are to stay at Pitt only until he’s ready to be drafted the staff needs to have his successor ready .

Great guard play trumps bigs in college ball .
Even more so in pro ball.

Fultz, Simmons, and Ball disagree.

ETA: Not saying X is comparable to either 3.
he sure isn't. I like X, he's a good player, but he's nowhere near the college player or talent that any of those 3 were--and of course if he was, he'd already be on a NBA roster.

Their skill sets were elite at the college level, and they are all considerably bigger/taller than X.

Reactions: Ski11585
The questions for me with Davis are:
  1. If X does play for Pitt his junior year, can we find 20 minutes a game for Davis? (Maybe 10 at the point and 10 at shooting guard?)
  2. Would Davis be happy coming off the bench as a freshman or is he so good that it's wiser for him to go to a school where he'll play more minutes?
Assuming RJ has pro aspirations, I think he can get to the NBA if he plays 15-20 minutes a game as a freshman on a good team and then 28-32 minutes on a good team as sophomore. But may be he wants more exposure, or maybe he's not willing to sit. Or maybe he's not quite good enough to be a P5 starter as a freshman, so this is all moot.

Aren’t these all good problems to have...imagine having to bring a player of Davis caliber off the bench!

youre missing the point...When they send the entire staff on day 1 to a PG’s open gym, and then have an in home visit later in the evening with the same PG, it tells me that the PG position is their #1 need for 2020.

Possibly, but it could just as easily mean that they think RJ Davis is the best prospect they're in on irrespective of position. Most likely scenario is a little of column A and a little of column B.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT