ADVERTISEMENT

VB: #2 Nebraska swept by SMU; Panthers to rise to #1?

HOF Coach

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2012
Pitt-coach-Dan-Fisher.png

AVCA voters aren't as fickle as the football voters so I don't expect any sort of a huge shake up but I'd probably give Stanford the #1 vote on my ballot just because they have a top 20 and a top 5 win. It's not like Nebraska and Texas suddenly suck, either.

Reactions: jctrack
Have we been #1 before?

Explain SMU over Nebraska to me. There's rarely upsets in volleyball so if that were a football spread, I would have thought it would be like Nebraska -35

Have we been #1 before?

Explain SMU over Nebraska to me. There's rarely upsets in volleyball so if that were a football spread, I would have thought it would be like Nebraska -35
SMU was 26-7 last year and won the AAC. Lost in the second round of the tournament to Texas. Has never shied away from big games and are smack dab in the middle of a volleyball recruiting hot bed. People who follow the game have been waiting for SMU to start to shine. Would not be shocked to see them finish top 5 in the ACC.

Reactions: Chaos and jctrack
SMU was 26-7 last year and won the AAC. Lost in the second round of the tournament to Texas. Has never shied away from big games and are smack dab in the middle of a volleyball recruiting hot bed. People who follow the game have been waiting for SMU to start to shine. Would not be shocked to see them finish top 5 in the ACC.
SMU had a record crowd of over 6,300 (previous record was in the 3,000s) and the atmosphere was electric.

I watched the 2nd and 3rd sets. SMU was clearly the better team on this night.

Since the game was broadcasted on ACCN, I would think that a replay is available to watch today on the ESPN app.

Reactions: pittdan77
SMU had a record crowd of over 6,300 (previous record was in the 3,000s) and the atmosphere was electric.

I watched the 2nd and 3rd sets. SMU was clearly the better team on this night.

Since the game was broadcasted on ACCN, I would think that a replay is available to watch today on the ESPN app.
It's amazing that it's the same team that couldn't get a ball down against Hawaii a week ago. There is always some erratic play the first few weeks. A lot of teams are running with brand new pieces in their rotations. That can take a bit to come together.

It's amazing that it's the same team that couldn't get a ball down against Hawaii a week ago. There is always some erratic play the first few weeks. A lot of teams are running with brand new pieces in their rotations. That can take a bit to come together.
By the same token, Louisville did not look like "Louisville" against PSU.

I think their performance last night was an anomaly.

Louisville looked tired. That was their third game against a ranked team in five days. We'll see if they look better against Creighton next weekend.
Very, very tired...no gas left in the tank, for sure.

Another huge crowd, another electric environment for Womens Volleyball!

Seems like a great add for ACC WVOL.

That said, wouldn't SMU have been enormous underdogs still? Like I said, you dont really see upsets in volleyball.

Seems like a great add for ACC WVOL.

That said, wouldn't SMU have been enormous underdogs still? Like I said, you dont really see upsets in volleyball.
Yeah, it's a big upset for sure.

Volleyball has had a very defined top tier for a while but that gap is closing thanks to the popularity of the sport with younger girls. They're following the game and turning out. What really helps is that men are noticing that it's an exciting and well played game. Plus, it's the one sport that, at least in the US, is primarily a woman's game.

What really helps is that men are noticing

The booty shorts they wear sure help. I still never understood what purpose those served. Not that I'm complaining but if my daughter played, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with her wearing those. I mean I guess you could say swimmers and divers are more scantily clad but those uniforms do serve a purpose.

It is an athletic and entertaining sport for sure though I really dont watch until the NCAAT. I'm intrigued by this upset though. Would this be like Pitt beating Ohio State in football as a 28 point underdog?

The booty shorts they wear sure help. I still never understood what purpose those served. Not that I'm complaining but if my daughter played, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with her wearing those. I mean I guess you could say swimmers and divers are more scantily clad but those uniforms do serve a purpose.

It is an athletic and entertaining sport for sure though I really dont watch until the NCAAT. I'm intrigued by this upset though. Would this be like Pitt beating Ohio State in football as a 28 point underdog?
The "booty shorts" have nothing to do with a normal human being's interest in the game. The spandex shorts are preferred by most players for the comfort and mobility however more recently, a lot of defensive players are choosing to go with leggings. If you were still uncomfortable with that, your daughter would be permitted (under PIAA rules) to wear a long skirt so long as it's the same color as everyone's shorts and leggings. And before you ask, yes, I have seen this in games.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and PittMBA
The "booty shorts" have nothing to do with a normal human being's interest in the game. The spandex shorts are preferred by most players for the comfort and mobility however more recently, a lot of defensive players are choosing to go with leggings. If you were still uncomfortable with that, your daughter would be permitted (under PIAA rules) to wear a long skirt so long as it's the same color as everyone's shorts and leggings. And before you ask, yes, I have seen this in games.

So if they worse soccer-type shorts, would it hinder their ability? I just never understood why those shorts were a thing. Similarly, I dont understand why soccer players (and refs) wear long socks. Get a pair of socks that fit right above your shin guard. It doesn't need to go to your knee. Some of this is really just fashion over function. These players should be able to wear whatever they want. I'm not against the booty shorts, just always felt it was more of a fashion thing than function.

So if they worse soccer-type shorts, would it hinder their ability? I just never understood why those shorts were a thing. Similarly, I dont understand why soccer players (and refs) wear long socks. Get a pair of socks that fit right above your shin guard. It doesn't need to go to your knee. Some of this is really just fashion over function. These players should be able to wear whatever they want. I'm not against the booty shorts, just always felt it was more of a fashion thing than function.
Google is your friend:

"Volleyball is a game that requires a lot of movement, and spandex shorts allow for maximum mobility. The tight-fitting nature of the shorts allows players to move around the court freely, without any hindrance from loose clothing."

why do football players wear socks up to their knees?

Google is your friend:

"Volleyball is a game that requires a lot of movement, and spandex shorts allow for maximum mobility. The tight-fitting nature of the shorts allows players to move around the court freely, without any hindrance from loose clothing."

Shouldn't women's soccer players also wear those shorts then? Basketball players? All of those sports are athletic sports requiring a lot of movement. Again, I think its just a fashion choice and that's fine. There's no reason baseball players have to dress the way they do, which is really a ridiculous looking fit if you weren't so used to it.

Shouldn't women's soccer players also wear those shorts then? Basketball players? All of those sports are athletic sports requiring a lot of movement. Again, I think its just a fashion choice and that's fine. There's no reason baseball players have to dress the way they do, which is really a ridiculous looking fit if you weren't so used to it.
"Yes, you're right." - said no one

Reactions: vantheman1976
This is just another example of smf not understanding something, then proceeding to ignore everyone providing logical explanations.

Vb players dive and slide way more often than any basketball player. Vb players in the back row spend a lot of time crouching while playing defense. They don’t want clothes that will get bunched up.

Also the fit of baseball uniforms is very functional. Maybe the buttons aren’t functional at all. But the fit makes total sense.

This is just another example of smf not understanding something, then proceeding to ignore everyone providing logical explanations.

Vb players dive and slide way more often than any basketball player. Vb players in the back row spend a lot of time crouching while playing defense. They don’t want clothes that will get bunched up.

Also the fit of baseball uniforms is very functional. Maybe the buttons aren’t functional at all. But the fit makes total sense.

Why do the men not wear spandex shorts since it helps their performance so much?

Also, while I am at it, lets throw wrestling in the mix. Is wearing a onesie so necessary? Seems like they could wrestle just fine in UFC style shorts and a tank top.

Stanford swept at Marquette last night pretty handily, unfortunately the national consensus seems to be Stanford will be the new #1 come Monday since they have 3 ranked wins while we only have one. Good news is Stanford plays Texas next week so they may only hold on to that spot for one week

Stanford swept at Marquette last night pretty handily, unfortunately the national consensus seems to be Stanford will be the new #1 come Monday since they have 3 ranked wins while we only have one. Good news is Stanford plays Texas next week so they may only hold on to that spot for one week
I don't have a problem with Stanford being #1. I'm okay with Pitt not being #1 until the end of the season.

Why do the men not wear spandex shorts since it helps their performance so much?

Also, while I am at it, lets throw wrestling in the mix. Is wearing a onesie so necessary? Seems like they could wrestle just fine in UFC style shorts and a tank top.
Men's game is played differently. It's a faster pace and players don't go to the floor as often. In fact, many don't even wear knee pads.

You need to ask yourself is posting on this board is necessary if you're going to wonder how and why athletes are dressed the way they are.

Now that I think about it why do nascar drivers wear helmets? I don’t wear a helmet when I drive my car
"Now that I think about it, if our knees bent in the opposite direction, what would a chair look like?" - SMF

"Yes, you're right." - said no one
Actually I’ll defend him. Vball players could easily wear soccer shorts and be fine.

The Vball shorts are for fashion. Let’s not kid ourselves. Females wear the same stuff to the gym and I don’t understand it. I guess they want people looking at them. Throw on a tee shirt and soccer shorts and hit the treadmill.

Ribbons and bows in their hair is also a Vball thing I noticed but maybe that’s a youth level thing. I suppose that helps their game somehow too. Lol.

And the Vball shorts do nothing for me. Of course there’s not much a super tall female could do for me. And that topless pic of the Wisconsin team was gross. I’m not attracted to females on the bigger side. Not one attractive person in the lot.

And Elena Scott always caught my eye because she was incredibly talented, played a position flawlessly that we needed, and she was very pretty. She wasn’t tall and I barely noticed her shorts.

That’s todays FK rant.

Now that I think about it why do nascar drivers wear helmets? I don’t wear a helmet when I drive my car
And they barely ever hit a wall or another car…a lot less than mens Vball players hitting the floor…that’s for sure.

Actually I’ll defend him. Vball players could easily wear soccer shorts and be fine.

The Vball shorts are for fashion. Let’s not kid ourselves. Females wear the same stuff to the gym and I don’t understand it. I guess they want people looking at them. Throw on a tee shirt and soccer shorts and hit the treadmill.

Ribbons and bows in their hair is also a Vball thing I noticed but maybe that’s a youth level thing. I suppose that helps their game somehow too. Lol.

And the Vball shorts do nothing for me. Of course there’s not much a super tall female could do for me. And that topless pic of the Wisconsin team was gross. I’m not attracted to females on the bigger side. Not one attractive person in the lot.

And Elena Scott always caught my eye because she was incredibly talented, played a position flawlessly that we needed, and she was very pretty. She wasn’t tall and I barely noticed her shorts.

That’s todays FK rant.
I'll disagree. It's not a fashion choice at all. My kid sleeps in them because she says they're the most comfortable thing she owns. She also wears them for track. They made them wear regular shorts and she felt like she couldn't move her body the way she wanted for throwing. That's her opinion of the situation and she's the one that plays the damn sport 300 days a year.

The ribbons and bows are definitely for fashion but no more so than the eye black being used like goofy face paint or the six sweat bands on a guys arms or any of the other things male athletes do.

I don't know how anyone gets excited over volleyball shorts. It's pretty weird that he keeps bringing it up.

That’s todays FK rant.

Most of these uniforms (in all sports) are for tradition or fashion. The most functional uniforms are basketball and soccer. Shirt and shorts. Basketball can probably wear t-shirts as the tank tops arent all that necessary BUT its a sport that requires a lot of running so the lighter the clothes, the better. That said, soccer should probably wear more like cross country uniforms (ie tank tops) because its extreme running.

Wrestling, to me, is a tradition thing. Someone came up with the onesie look 100 years ago so its a wrestling thing. They can wrestle just as fine in a tank top and UFC style shorts.

Volleyball is basically the same as wrestling in that the booty shorts are more of a tradition. If they wore shorts like soccer or cross-country, they'd be fine.

Most of these uniforms (in all sports) are for tradition or fashion. The most functional uniforms are basketball and soccer. Shirt and shorts. Basketball can probably wear t-shirts as the tank tops arent all that necessary BUT its a sport that requires a lot of running so the lighter the clothes, the better. That said, soccer should probably wear more like cross country uniforms (ie tank tops) because its extreme running.

Wrestling, to me, is a tradition thing. Someone came up with the onesie look 100 years ago so its a wrestling thing. They can wrestle just as fine in a tank top and UFC style shorts.

Volleyball is basically the same as wrestling in that the booty shorts are more of a tradition. If they wore shorts like soccer or cross-country, they'd be fine.
While certainly ‘fashion’ plays some role in what high level athletes wear in competition- the most important input is functionality and maximizing performance.

You keep saying they’d be ‘ fine ‘ wearing something else. I’m sure while high level athletes could compete in almost anything- they are choosing uniforms and equipment that maximize their ability to perform.

I’m not sure why you are questioning this — perhaps write Dan Fisher and explain that you think his players would be ‘fine’ wearing soccer shorts.

That’s todays FK rant.
images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT