ADVERTISEMENT

Visits and HS recruiting

I don’t know what “struggling” means? Like literally can’t bring in one? No, there aren’t many teams that should be struggling.

This cycle’s transfer portal, Pitt brought in a guy that was a 3* coming out of high school, and a once 5* that has played horrible the last two years and isn’t listed in 247’s Top 24 transfer QBs.

Do I think that’s “successful” or evidence of a competitive advantage that somehow proves the transfer portal is the future and high school recruiting can not be worried about? No.
I think its safe to assume that Jurkovec left off their list is a mistake on their part.

I think he's listed as #7 on On3. I don't know who evaluates the QBs on 247, but I have a lot of respect for Mike Hugeunin. at On3. He was spot on from day one about what PItt was getting in Slovis & Mumpfield. He thinks Jurkovec is a fairly big upgrade over Slovis.

I think its safe to assume that Jurkovec left off their list is a mistake on their part.

I think he's listed as #7 on On3. I don't know who evaluates the QBs on 247, but I have a lot of respect for Mike Hugeunin. at On3. He was spot on from day one about what PItt was getting in Slovis & Mumpfield. He thinks Jurkovec is a fairly big upgrade over Slovis.

Maybe. I think ranking PJ has a .89 or .90 type college QB would be a fair ranking.

Yeah, so what?

So I don’t think the QB room they got from the portal is evidence of some great competitive advantage that FCJ and Pitt have in the portal compared to the rest of college football. It’s not an overly impressive haul.

If the evidence for its impressiveness is comparing it to the QB room last year, that seems odd because they are the ones that created the sh*tty room. It’s only by this coach staff’s failure of high school recruiting, that this staff looks like it has some type of competitive advantage in the portal.

Reactions: DanMarinoFan1970
So I don’t think the QB room they got from the portal is evidence of some great competitive advantage that FCJ and Pitt have in the portal compared to the rest of college football. It’s not an overly impressive haul.

If the evidence for its impressiveness is comparing it to the QB room last year, that seems odd because they are the ones that created the sh*tty room. It’s only by this coach staff’s failure of high school recruiting, that this staff looks like it has some type of competitive advantage in the portal.
I never said they had a great competitive advantage in the portal. I said they improved the room, which was certainly necessary.

Also, FCJ didn't build the last QB room. He's building his now, so I guess we'll see how it turns out. PJ was about as good as Pitt was going to do in the portal, Veilleux is a building block, and the HS recruit is a lottery ticket. Sucked to lose Minchey like they did.

I think the QB room is going to be the most difficult to manage in this new era. Everyone bolts at the drop of a hat.

I never said they had a great competitive advantage in the portal. I said they improved the room, which was certainly necessary.

Also, FCJ didn't build the last QB room. He's building his now, so I guess we'll see how it turns out. PJ was about as good as Pitt was going to do in the portal, Veilleux is a building block, and the HS recruit is a lottery ticket. Sucked to lose Minchey like they did.

I think the QB room is going to be the most difficult to manage in this new era. Everyone bolts at the drop of a hat.

I’m not necessarily saying you did. But you responded to my discussion with the posters saying Pitt does.

Pitt got two years out of Addison. One year was pretty damn good. The next was elite. In the end, one season was taken. Do I think that makes a huge difference in the overall direction of programs? Not really.
Uh, yes. Because with Addison, Pitt likely has back to back top 15 finishes, which obviously helps with a bunch of other important things.

Uh, yes. Because with Addison, Pitt likely has back to back top 15 finishes, which obviously helps with a bunch of other important things.

No WR is worth 2 whole wins.

And the recruiting momentum never existed coming off an ACC Championship and a preseason Top 25 ranking.
The class was dead in the summer. The season itself didn’t sap any momentum. There was none to begin with.

You are right. Addison would have put up big numbers and also opened things up more for everyone else on the offense. We would have had double digit wins. He might have helped us recruit higher level WR’s because of his production. That would be an easier selling point to HS seniors and transfers when our coaches are out recruiting.

Reactions: FireballZ
Mid level and lower programs such as ours are in the early stages of nothing less than a 180 degree shift. The transfer portal (before it had that term) was originally to be the way to fill in gaps, and high school recruiting was indeed the source of most of a team’s starters. The flip side is rapidly becoming true. For programs such as ours, more and more starters are going to be filled by transfers (guys from programs at levels above ours who fell through the cracks), while high school recruiting (with lesser stars with less buzz, as our class this week) will source the depth that fill in the gaps. Some of the latter will develop well and emerge, for sure. Most will not.

No WR is worth 2 whole wins.

And the recruiting momentum never existed coming off an ACC Championship and a preseason Top 25 ranking.
The class was dead in the summer. The season itself didn’t sap any momentum. There was none to begin with.
Fact Duzz sucks at recruiting

Mid level and lower programs such as ours are in the early stages of nothing less than a 180 degree shift. The transfer portal (before it had that term) was originally to be the way to fill in gaps, and high school recruiting was indeed the source of most of a team’s starters. The flip side is rapidly becoming true. For programs such as ours, more and more starters are going to be filled by transfers (guys from programs at levels above ours who fell through the cracks), while high school recruiting (with lesser stars with less buzz, as our class this week) will source the depth that fill in the gaps. Some of the latter will develop well and emerge, for sure. Most will not.
Why are we mid level? When I was a kid Pitt was top level , Thanks for your future answer

Multiple reasons. Three in no particular order---

Administrations terrified of getting NCAA sanctions and far far more focused on academic reputation than sports reputation.

Population flight from Western PA with a corresponding major drop in the numbers of quality HS recruits developed in the region.

A small fan base relative to the large state schools that populate the Big Ten, SEC, etc.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT