ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Portal and Pitt - What's Next?

I spent some time going through the 37 pages of posts on the Volleytalk.proboards thread on the transfer portal hoping to find some info on players who Pitt might be looking at — and vice-versa.

First, the defensive player we got from VT has gotten zero posts. That is surprising because most times when a top teams lands a transfer portal there is some comment about it.

Second, the strong consensus is that Pitt really needs a MB and three really good ones are reported to have taken visits. Alas, none have chosen Pitt.

The first one was a MB from Baylor. She apparently narrowed her list of schools to Pitt and two others but chose one of the other two.

The second was from UC Irvine. This one was really interesting because she apparently made her decision pretty much on the academics side of things. She was down to Pitt and Oregon, both of which offer a two-year Master’s program in her chosen field. Because it is such a difficult curriculum, she wants to redshirt this coming season to focus in academics and then play the following year. That was okay with Oregon but not Pitt, where Fisher needs someone for 2023. So she committed to Oregon.

I don’t know where the third one is transferring from, but I do know that she narrowed her many offers down to Wisconsin and Pitt — and chose Wisconsin.

So, we were finalists for 3 MBs, all of whom are supposed to be excellent players, but got none of them.

The portal closed on January 11 and reopens on May 1. Right now, there don’t seem to be many if any uncommitted top players left. Fisher might have to go to Europe or rely on Jepsen and Babcock at that MB position.
Thanks for your analysis.....good information. Fisher and staff have had a number of misses on the MB position and it's certainly a head scratcher. Just this week a new name has also emerged...Emma Monks from Michigan State. She not the elite talent you mention on the MBs we've missed but would be a good addition. Fingers crossed that when the spring portal opens in May new names will appear.

She is from VT. Don’t recall the name. I remember looking at their roster and being astounded that they have 11 players from West Virginia…and none from Virginia.

• Wow
Reactions: Chaos
Btw, Dalton just walked out during a timeout at a basketball game as they honor the team and she is on crutches. So must've had surgery for her injury.

• Wow
Reactions: Chaos
Hope she has a quick recovery and is at full speed by August
So it turns out that Julianna Dalton is on crutches due to a fracture of the neck of the femur which is the region just below the ball of the hip joint. I got this info from checking a Pitt thread on the volleytalk.proboards. Dalton reported this on her TicTok account. I checked. It's correct. I have no idea whether this is related to her injury a few months ago or is something new.

• Wow
Reactions: Chaos and jctrack
So it turns out that Julianna Dalton is on crutches due to a fracture of the neck of the femur which is the region just below the ball of the hip joint. I got this info from checking a Pitt thread on the volleytalk.proboards. Dalton reported this on her TicTok account. I checked. It's correct. I have no idea whether this is related to her injury a few months ago or is something new.
Wow, that's a tough injury. I'm really curious to know how that happened. Thanks for the update.

Has to be the same injury because if you look back on it she had something on her hip while on the sidelines.So it's a miracle she was able to get back into any of the games after the injury.Got to give her credit.You could tell she was hurting.

Has to be the same injury because if you look back on it she had something on her hip while on the sidelines.So it's a miracle she was able to get back into any of the games after the injury.Got to give her credit.You could tell she was hurting.
I agree that you are likely correct. Perhaps some surgical repair is more recent to explain the crutches. I don't know. By the way....she took a redshirt year at Washington State I think in 2021 before coming to Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT