ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Signing Day

121rum

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2019
The Volleyball twitter account is posting everyone that is signing. I don't know much about Volleyball recruiting, does anyone have insights on the players who are getting signed?

The Volleyball twitter account is posting everyone that is signing. I don't know much about Volleyball recruiting, does anyone have insights on the players who are getting signed?
Best nugget I can find is PrepVolleyball has a top 30 team recruiting rankings article published today ( behind a paywall) and one of PItt’s signees - Ryla Jones - is among the 3 players they have on the front page of the article..

Volleyball prep rankings are like shrouded in secrecy behind paywalls..

Best nugget I can find is PrepVolleyball has a top 30 team recruiting rankings article published today ( behind a paywall) and one of PItt’s signees - Ryla Jones - is among the 3 players they have on the front page of the article..

Volleyball prep rankings are like shrouded in secrecy behind paywalls..
PItt also did a press release on the class

Ryla Jones seems to be the headliner

Reactions: Pitt MD
It certainly is not as heralded a class as the current freshman class, but Fisher was limited by the scholarships available. Ryla Jones is a MB from Maryland who played a prep year at Flint Hill, VA this year. She has an older sister who plays in the Big 10 and a twin sister in the Class of 2025. Interestingly, Pitt lists her at 6’2 but other sites list her at 6’4.

With Babcock, Stafford and Bayless all freshmen, an outside hitter wasn’t a position of need. The other signees are a librero ftom Nebraska who also served over 1,000 aces in high school and a setter from Kentucky.

In volleyball, lots of players commit early and I believe Fisher already has two 2025 verbals.

The other signees are a librero ftom Nebraska who also served over 1,000 aces in high school
This is the player I'm most excited about but three positions of need for sure.

I'll say this, PSU quietly put together a really good class, IMO. The #1 setter in the country is the highlight of that class. Schumacher-Cawley is recruiting really well.

Reactions: imrealangry
The two 2025 verbals are Abby Emch (Ohio) & Samara Coleman (Texas).

The thing that has me most intrigued about this class is supposedly Kiara Dinn can reach 10 feet. It's gonna be tough for her to forge a path to playing time with Haiti there at setter, but it's interesting thinking of the possibilities of how to use her athleticism. She sets & attacks for her high school team, so who knows?

The two 2025 verbals are Abby Emch (Ohio) & Samara Coleman (Texas).

The thing that has me most intrigued about this class is supposedly Kiara Dinn can reach 10 feet. It's gonna be tough for her to forge a path to playing time with Haiti there at setter, but it's interesting thinking of the possibilities of how to use her athleticism. She sets & attacks for her high school team, so who knows?
Coaches dream about players that can play opposite and then set across the back row. Not saying that's how they'll use here but they could run a legit 6/2 if she's good enough.

This is the player I'm most excited about but three positions of need for sure.

I'll say this, PSU quietly put together a really good class, IMO. The #1 setter in the country is the highlight of that class. Schumacher-Cawley is recruiting really well.
The PSU class is #1 in the country I believe. They have the #1 overall player in Izzy Starck the setter, plus the #4 overall player as well. So I’d say it’s not so quiet

The PSU class is #1 in the country I believe. They have the #1 overall player in Izzy Starck the setter, plus the #4 overall player as well. So I’d say it’s not so quiet
Does anyone know where Pitt's class ended up this year? Last year it was in the top 10. With Fisher's success with top 10 finishes over the last several years it seems this should translate to top 10 recruiting classes.....wondering what others think about this.

Does anyone know where Pitt's class ended up this year? Last year it was in the top 10. With Fisher's success with top 10 finishes over the last several years it seems this should translate to top 10 recruiting classes.....wondering what others think about this.
I’m not sure if they do end to end class rankings in volleyball like they do in football or basketball. So it might be considered “unranked” which really just means not in the top 10 or so. We’ve only ever had one top ten recruiting class in my knowledge and that was this year. But if others have more knowledge than me on this feel free to correct

I’m not sure if they do end to end class rankings in volleyball like they do in football or basketball. So it might be considered “unranked” which really just means not in the top 10 or so. We’ve only ever had one top ten recruiting class in my knowledge and that was this year. But if others have more knowledge than me on this feel free to correct
If it's anything like football, I would assume having a small class hurts your ranking.

Thank you for correcting me. I'll be honest, I had no idea what the rankings were but I hadn't seen much on the internet about it other than their own hype.
My dad is (sadly) a bigger PSU volleyball fan than Pitt just because of their history (he’s one of the weirdos who went to neither school and roots for both) and he’s been raving about PSU’s next two classes for a while. I believe Patrick Ewing’s daughter is in their 2025 class and she’s a top 10 player in the country

• Wow
Reactions: imrealangry

We definitely had a top 20 ranked class in 2019. That was the class with Valeria & Chiamaka.

My dad is (sadly) a bigger PSU volleyball fan than Pitt just because of their history (he’s one of the weirdos who went to neither school and roots for both) and he’s been raving about PSU’s next two classes for a while. I believe Patrick Ewing’s daughter is in their 2025 class and she’s a top 10 player in the country
So far, she is committed. To be fair, they've been doing it pretty well up there for along time. The B1G has a better reputation because they've won so many championships. The ACC is a Johnny-come-lately but it's steadily improving.

So far, she is committed. To be fair, they've been doing it pretty well up there for along time. The B1G has a better reputation because they've won so many championships. The ACC is a Johnny-come-lately but it's steadily improving.
My daughter and I watch Alexis Ewing at the Capitol Hill Classic last February. She plays for the Virginia Juniors. She just warmed up and looked very athletic but didn’t play in the match at all (Pittsburgh Revolution was giving them all they could handle). Not sure how good she is…..but I wonder if some are ranked higher because of who their dads or moms are.

Which brings up a question for Mike412. Have you seen Lane Kiffin’s daughter play for Mater Dei? If so, is she a high level player?

Reactions: pittdan77
My daughter and I watch Alexis Ewing at the Capitol Hill Classic last February. She plays for the Virginia Juniors. She just warmed up and looked very athletic but didn’t play in the match at all (Pittsburgh Revolution was giving them all they could handle). Not sure how good she is…..but I wonder if some are ranked higher because of who their dads or moms are.

Which brings up a question for Mike412. Have you seen Lane Kiffin’s daughter play for Mater Dei? If so, is she a high level player?
Fisher is really good at recruiting California. That would be interesting. It would really be a motherlode if Pitt could win a national championship. Fisher would be able to get whoever he wants in the world. It could strengthen this program for the next decade.

I suspect this is true to some degree. I don't know in her case but I would be interested to see her play.

I suspect this is true to some degree. I don't know in her case but I would be interested to see her play.
Yeah, obviously difficult to tell, but with her there is certainly a lot to work with. I would assume it’s a lot like basketball where taller prospects will get scholarships because “you can’t teach height.” My daughter’s high school team has a 6’4” girl who was maybe the fifth option on the team. She cannot hit very well yet and smaller players from opposing teams will hit right through her blocks. She is committed to James Madison for 2025.

Yeah, obviously difficult to tell, but with her there is certainly a lot to work with. I would assume it’s a lot like basketball where taller prospects will get scholarships because “you can’t teach height.” My daughter’s high school team has a 6’4” girl who was maybe the fifth option on the team. She cannot hit very well yet and smaller players from opposing teams will hit right through her blocks. She is committed to James Madison for 2025.
Yeah, they do tend to recruit size at some of the smaller schools. Guess they figure they can always teach them how to play middle if they can move a little. There were some smaller women on the floor last night that were doing an outstanding job. One of the outsides for Wright State wasn't that big but she was athletic and could jump.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Yeah, they do tend to recruit size at some of the smaller schools. Guess they figure they can always teach them how to play middle if they can move a little. There were some smaller women on the floor last night that were doing an outstanding job. One of the outsides for Wright State wasn't that big but she was athletic and could jump.
Those type of girls are fun to watch. Here in Wilmington, NC they tend to thrive in beach volleyball and there is always multiple D1 beach players in any given year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT