ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball v cuse 11-11

Do these final matches not count in the ACC standings? It’s confusing to me that they could post about an undefeated 14-0 ACC record when they still had 3 or 4 matches yet to play.

Reactions: Chaos
Do these final matches not count in the ACC standings? It’s confusing to me that they could post about an undefeated 14-0 ACC record when they still had 3 or 4 matches yet to play.

I'm not sure what the confusion is. Before tonight we had played 14 ACC matches and had won them all, so we are undefeated. Our ACC record was 14-0. With tonight's win we are now 15-0.

Why wouldn't the game count in the standings?

With tonight's results we can now finish no worse than 2nd in the ACC this year.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The way the ACC schedule is laid out, all of the teams play the round-robin 14-game schedule first. Then, there is some sort of formula to decide which 4 teams you will play twice. In one match, the commentary implied this is some RPI grouping, but it is hard for me to believe any formula would just coincidentally assign us Louisville and Georgia Tech.

If you were undefeated in the first 14 games, that means you beat every other team in the conference.

Reactions: ThePanthers
In one match, the commentary implied this is some RPI grouping, but it is hard for me to believe any formula would just coincidentally assign us Louisville and Georgia Tech.

It's not random. They have the best teams playing other better teams to try to juice their RPIs and help their tournament resumes. If you were picked to finish near the top of the league you got extra games against other teams picked to finish near the top. If you were picked to finish near the bottom of the league you got extra games against teams picked to finish near the bottom.

And extra Pitt - Louisville match draws attention and interest. An extra Pitt - Clemson match doesn't really interest anyone.

It's not random. They have the best teams playing other better teams to try to juice their RPIs and help their tournament resumes. If you were picked to finish near the top of the league you got extra games against other teams picked to finish near the top. If you were picked to finish near the bottom of the league you got extra games against teams picked to finish near the bottom.

And extra Pitt - Louisville match draws attention and interest. An extra Pitt - Clemson match doesn't really interest anyone.
Yes, that is obvious to everyone, but that is not how the announcer chose to explain it.

An extra Pitt-BC match doesn't interest anyone either, but it ends up on the schedule anyway. I think the point was just that Pitt doesn't get assigned the 4 best teams to play twice, and neither does Clemson get the 4 worst teams. There is some attempt to balance them at least a little.

Yes, that is obvious to everyone, but that is not how the announcer chose to explain it.

An extra Pitt-BC match doesn't interest anyone either, but it ends up on the schedule anyway. I think the point was just that Pitt doesn't get assigned the 4 best teams to play twice, and neither does Clemson get the 4 worst teams. There is some attempt to balance them at least a little.

Yeah, I think what happened was the league said, OK, here are the matchups that we want to guaranteed get played twice, the us, Louisville, Georgia Tech round robin for instance, and then after they did that they kind of let the chips fall. In fact maybe geography played a part, since we got Syracuse and BC twice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT