ADVERTISEMENT

WANNY picks. .....

My username I made after coming on here after they hired Wannstedt and in an interview he wants to be president of the burgh lol.

I still say though if we just kept him, he was recruiting well, and we would have taken over during all the scandals

I think Wanna proved that be wasn't going to get it done at Pitt, but knowing the cluster that was created by Steve's botch of a firing and then botch or a hiring, followed by his botch of another hiring, it would have been better to just keep Dave.

I think Wanna proved that be wasn't going to get it done at Pitt, but knowing the cluster that was created by Steve's botch of a firing and then botch or a hiring, followed by his botch of another hiring, it would have been better to just keep Dave.

Eh, this is an old argument. I think many would disagree, including me.

Nobody , in the history of F ups F’ed up worse than Smiley with the Wanny firing and subsequent clown show.....

Long term Pitt never recovered from its arrogance wrt Jackie...and more recently hasn’t recovered from the Wanny debacle...the institutional memory of the Pitt Athletic Department is, Sadly, stupidity.

If pederson had a brain, he would've waited one more season. At the time, pitt had an incoming top 15-20 class, and a boatload of players returning. I could've seen 10-2/11-1 that season, honestly, and I was a wanny doubter.

Reactions: BiggCliff412
He didn't have a brain.
Pitt didn't have improving on DW as the main priority, is the better answer. In fact winning was an anti-priority, if that's a valid term! As often the case, everything BUT winning seemingly was on their agenda. That's been true so often in our history, no wonder we got what has resulted most of the time.

If pederson had a brain, he would've waited one more season. At the time, pitt had an incoming top 15-20 class, and a boatload of players returning. I could've seen 10-2/11-1 that season, honestly, and I was a wanny doubter.

Steve was and is an arrogant assclown, with a very limited vision, and even lesser ability to raise money to pay for what athletics required. Even a few of his accomplishments were screwed up by his unwillingness to include others in the decision making process. Flipping the Pete for the upcoming season will be just another one of the costly mistakes Pitt has been required to fix/repair/pay to rectify. Hail to Pitt!

Wanny said Pitt has an advantage over PSU on both the OL and DL.

Is this true? I just don’t know the current state of PSU’s lines.

Neither team impressed in the trenches against smaller opponents week 1. Sort of comparing weaknesses, not sure how you'd really rank them this early.

If this is true, then UPS has a really weak line. Not saying ours is bad, but ours isnt a strength for sure, on either side from the looks of week 1. I think Camp looked to have a Donaldesque first step, but other than him I didnt see any terrors on the line. Weaver, Wheeler seemed decent, which is good, I didnt see any huge holes in the dline, but just no monsters, we arent Clemson.

Steve was and is an arrogant assclown, with a very limited vision, and even lesser ability to raise money to pay for what athletics required. Even a few of his accomplishments were screwed up by his unwillingness to include others in the decision making process. Flipping the Pete for the upcoming season will be just another one of the costly mistakes Pitt has been required to fix/repair/pay to rectify. Hail to Pitt!

To this day, nobody has copies his court-level luxury boxes which means it was a dumb idea. They should have been elevated like Stony Brook's and Everton's

Reactions: PITTLAW

Wannstedt was arrogant as well and wanted to do things his way (which he should have been allowed to do, since he was hired for the job). It was a bad marriage from the start in terms of personalities.

Lyke seems to know what she is doing, hire good people then trust them to do it their way, if they dont succeed, then find someone else.

Reactions: PITTLAW
He didn't have a brain.
If I Only Had A Brain PITT Football Would Be A Top 20 Program Today
Signed: Stevie P
Ruby-Slipper-4_1200.jpg

Lyke seems to know what she is doing, hire good people then trust them to do it their way, if they dont succeed, then find someone else.

I agree. The hires have been very good and there has been less bad news/drama than we are used to. I still think our development/fund raising is less aggressive than a lot of our peers though.

Neither team impressed in the trenches against smaller opponents week 1. Sort of comparing weaknesses, not sure how you'd really rank them this early.

I've read this a few time in reference to Pitt, and I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. I was relatively happy with the line play on both sides of the ball.

OL - no Bookser and rotated in a bunch of young guys - Pitt ran for 238 and a 6.4 ypc average. No sacks given up.

DL - 5 sacks and gave up 60 yards on the ground. Played 10 different guys on the DL. Little Vinnie took a beating all game.

Not sure what you expected.

Has anyone heard Wannstedt ever say a Pitt team was not as talented as an opponent.

I mean, it’s wonderful that he still supports Pitt but he is the definition of a homer. I think he would have said the same thing if Pitt had Duquesne’s OL and DL.

Thst’s Not to say Pitt’s OL and DL is worse than PSUs, just that DW is always going to show a bias towards Pitt.

Last edited:
I've read this a few time in reference to Pitt, and I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. I was relatively happy with the line play on both sides of the ball.

OL - no Bookser and rotated in a bunch of young guys - Pitt ran for 238 and a 6.4 ypc average. No sacks given up.

DL - 5 sacks and gave up 60 yards on the ground. Played 10 different guys on the DL. Little Vinnie took a beating all game.

I didn't look at the stats after the game and only had the angle of live viewing. Those numbers are better than it felt, so I appreciate you sharing it. I do think there too many plays where our line didn't get a push and the running backs made it happen themselves, but I have no evidence to back that up.

I didn't look at the stats after the game and only had the angle of live viewing. Those numbers are better than it felt, so I appreciate you sharing it. I do think there too many plays where our line didn't get a push and the running backs made it happen themselves, but I have no evidence to back that up.

I tend to go look at the stats after a game because often times you get into the thought process that every yard the other team gains seems like a lot. Every team is going to gain some yards. Can't hold them to zero, so I turn to the stats for perspective sometimes.

I will say I was impressed with Testeverde Jr. I thought he played good while taking a beating.

You are right, probably being too critical. The things I didnt like were:

-No real push from the dline. Most the pressure came from blitz packages.
-I had no issue with the Oline, seemed solid, just question the competition. Also, Pickett got out of several sacks himself.

Pickett is very good at the sprint out stuff, which was used frequently, so whatever the actual quality of the pass blocking will be (and it'll be nice to have Bookser back), I don't think he's going to be stuck in a collapsing pocket much.

Gave up 93 rushing yards on 23 carries, so ok, but not great against the run. Our rush defense statistics have been pretty bad under HCPN, but get covered up by NCAAF idiotic reporting of sacks as rushing yards. Sacks are and have been mostly a result of blitzing.

The OL did a pretty good job, though, IMO. Still, it was Albany, so we really don't know much. Pickett and the packages used didn't leave many opportunities for sacks.

My username I made after coming on here after they hired Wannstedt and in an interview he wants to be president of the burgh lol.

I still say though if we just kept him, he was recruiting well, and we would have taken over during all the scandals
Yeah, if we gave him another 6 years, we may have finally won the Big East!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

We couldn’t take over a weakened big east-
Or consistently beat Rutgers and uconn.

But sure- greatness around the corner!

Reactions: Jpripper88
Gave up 93 rushing yards on 23 carries, so ok, but not great against the run. Our rush defense statistics have been pretty bad under HCPN, but get covered up by NCAAF idiotic reporting of sacks as rushing yards. Sacks are and have been mostly a result of blitzing.

So do the rush defense stats for everyone else. In the NFL it's negative pass yards. Either way, they are negative yards and need to be counted somewhere.

So do the rush defense stats for everyone else. In the NFL it's negative pass yards. Either way, they are negative yards and need to be counted somewhere.
Sure, but there are lot better ways to capture your success against the run. It does affect everyone's rush stat in college, but not everyone runs a scheme designed on bringing pressure and thus leaving so many opportunities in the passing game when they don't make the sacks. The fact we have been so easy to throw on is another reason the total rush yards have remained "low".

We couldn’t take over a weakened big east-
Or consistently beat Rutgers and uconn.

But sure- greatness around the corner!

Yeah, so? We beat Rutgers both the last 2 years of his tenure, and both Rutgers under schiano and Uconn were actually good teams during those years.

Just maybe that is due to the shit QBs we had? Or just odds. I mean, really this is such a dumb point. Are you saying we werent Alabama? Duh...

Could you imagine if all colleges were run by you? Every coach would be fired every few years. You will always lose toss up games. If you think losing to an 8-4 Rutgers team is a horrible loss, its not... especially with shitty quarterbacks

Yeah, so? We beat Rutgers both the last 2 years of his tenure, and both Rutgers under schiano and Uconn were actually good teams during those years.

Just maybe that is due to the shit QBs we had? Or just odds. I mean, really this is such a dumb point. Are you saying we werent Alabama? Duh...

Could you imagine if all colleges were run by you? Every coach would be fired every few years. You will always lose toss up games. If you think losing to an 8-4 Rutgers team is a horrible loss, its not... especially with shitty quarterbacks

Pitt EASILY had the best recruiting classes in the watered down Big East. We were the Bama of the conference, from a recruiting perspective. Should have whopped Rutgers and Uconn every year. Dave wasn't good enough a coach on gameday, and it was also his responsibility to recruit a half decent QB. And he hired Cavanaugh, who stunk and scared every QB to death about making mistakes.

With that said, the cluster that resulted from his firing was worse than actually keeping him.

Yeah, if we gave him another 6 years, we may have finally won the Big East!
This is the major point. He had the best recruiting classes in the worst conference in America year after year. Yet he couldn’t win the conference with said talent. I’m a wanny fan to a large degree. But the bottom line is if he would have won more games he’d still be here.

And as far as the OL/DL statement? That’s spoken like a guy with a history of being a lineman. Yeah we hear games are won and lost in the trenches. But give me the better QB in college along with adequate linemen, and I’ll take my chances all day. Maybe that’s why Wanny always underachieved. He didn’t value QBs enough.

PSU has a better QB. He’s also a senior. I’d pick PSU. But at least we seemingly have a good QB. Wish we had a game in 2020 at Heinz Field. I’d pick Pitt in that one. Oh well, we will just have to beat them next year at their place.

Pitt EASILY had the best recruiting classes in the watered down Big East. We were the Bama of the conference, from a recruiting perspective. Should have whopped Rutgers and Uconn every year. Dave wasn't good enough a coach on gameday, and it was also his responsibility to recruit a half decent QB. And he hired Cavanaugh, who stunk and scared every QB to death about making mistakes.

With that said, the cluster that resulted from his firing was worse than actually keeping him.
Damn. You got your post in before I did. I totally agree. Good post.

Wannstedt was arrogant as well and wanted to do things his way (which he should have been allowed to do, since he was hired for the job). It was a bad marriage from the start in terms of personalities.

Nobody other than Nordenberg got along with Stevie. Dave unfortunately clearly clashed with SP, and it set Pitt football back for many years. As you may recall, Steve was not the guy that hired Dave, which no doubt played some role in their turbulent relationship. Hail to Pitt!

Nobody other than Nordenberg got along with Stevie. Dave unfortunately clearly clashed with SP, and it set Pitt football back for many years. As you may recall, Steve was not the guy that hired Dave, which no doubt played some role in their turbulent relationship. Hail to Pitt!

But steve also wanted to hire him at Nebraska so he obviously knew and respected Wannstedt. The relationship soured because Wannstedt finished 3rd in a crap conference with an all conference team full of Pitt players. And then giving the Big East to UfreakinConn was the nail in the coffin the following year.

But steve also wanted to hire him at Nebraska so he obviously knew and respected Wannstedt. The relationship soured because Wannstedt finished 3rd in a crap conference with an all conference team full of Pitt players. And then giving the Big East to UfreakinConn was the nail in the coffin the following year.

Perhaps, but what has Pitt won since? Kind of like when Steve arrived at Nebraska and fired Solich...they still have not returned to the level they were at when Steve arrived. Simply put, the guy is an arrogant assclown that has never won anything...other than a golden parachute from Nordenberg. Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT