ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo article on BeverageGate

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...lahoma-state-trouncing-and-internet-loses-it/

Pitt just cant get out of its own way. Its nice to offer the kids a $1 drink to stay but under normal circumstances, how many students would be enticed to stay for that drink? 100? Its just not a big enough incentive and not worth the embarrassment. Even still, at 49-14, with the probability of loss at 100%, there was no need for the students to stay and thus,a very stupid decision to put it on the scoreboard. I could swear that that is not on the scoreboard for EVERY game. With all the stuff that WaPo is reporting on these days, its strange to see a quote from EJ Borghetti.

And I still believe ESPN should not have gone out of their way to embarrass Pitt. Sure, Pitt put itself out there with stupid scheduling and no-showing on gameday but you'd be hard-pressed to find situations where ESPN embarrassed a program as bad as that.

Reactions: Mikefln
Whose was the mastermind of that free drink idea?

I mean the person in the athletic department who introduced this at a meeting.

They've been doing it for 2-3 years to get students to stay till the end of the game. Other schools do the same thing.

I sorta remember after a game about 2 years ago they were giving not only a drink, but a snack to students who stayed as well. Not that they were the greatest snack ma (like I think funyuns was one of them)

Pitt has done nothing wrong here. They've been doing this for a few years at the request of the students and have had that message up towards the end of every home game.

Just like everything else social media and the bitch about everything crew on this board make a mountain e out of a mole hill.

I still blame SP for most of it. And well, Nordy for hiring him. Twice. And the Board. Blaming them since the 80's.

I do blame ESPN for things, but not for this.

Reactions: Mikefln
Pitt has done nothing wrong here. They've been doing this for a few years at the request of the students and have had that message up towards the end of every home game.

Just like everything else social media and the bitch about everything crew on this board make a mountain e out of a mole hill.

I don't have problem with Pitt giving it for free. But someone needs to have enough brains to look at the score notice that 99% of the students already left and say "don't put it up today". I don't blame ESPN, I blame Pitt for this.

Last edited:
Why do you need to advertise it. Don't the students already know, they have been doing it for awhile.

I have problem with Pitt giving it for free. But someone needs to have enough brains to look at the score notice that 99% of the students already left and say "don't put it up today". I don't blame ESPN, I blame Pitt for this.

Of course you do.

Whose was the mastermind of that free drink idea?

I'm think it was Barnes. Remember when he first arrived and talked about how he was going to convince students to stay because they love free pizza. That was probable the start of what eventually led to the free drink.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT