ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Earl Grant's initial presser

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
at C of C

He would win the press conference for sure. I do like guys that win the press conference because to me that shows salesmanship and personality which you need on the trail. Of the very weak pool of mid-major candidates, he intrigues me the most but as I've said, the fact he has spent his entire career (besides the 4 years at Wichita) scares me for 2 reasons:

1. Can he recruit the I95 corridor? We cant build a sustainable program with Carolinas and Georgia players. A few guys, yea, but Pitt has to recruit I95 and Ohio.

2. What happens if Clemson, SC, Georgia, GT, etc open up next year or the year after?

If Grant wins a game or 2 next week, which is possible, he probably becomes a front-runner.

By the way, when he said his program will be built on defense and rebounding and talked about toughness and tenacity, I got goosebumps.

1) As long as the search is conducted by the university above board and there are legitimate candidates interviewed, I just don’t care about winning a press conference.
2) Maybe I am thinking about the wrong person, but I thought he was from Charleston. If that is the case, Don’t know he’s going to consider putting in as a) he might be in a good place and b) this whole fiasco is a bad look for Pitt.
3) As big a footprint as the ACC has, Just go get the best players who fit your style and expectations.

Except for his couple years as an assistant at Wichita St, Grant's entire life has been in the deep south. I'd bet anything his idea of dream job is a major conference school in the south.

In addition to the schools you named, think also about FSU. This was Hamilton's 16th year in Tallahassee. He has made the Sweet 16 once at FSU. He's only had two other teams reach the NCAA round of 32. He's had 7 NIT teams, only one of which made it the NIT Final Four. He's had 3 teams get no post-season. Hamilton is the very definition of mediocre, and he is 69.

And then there is Wake Forest. Manning has 3 losing teams in 4 years. Wake would be crazy to risk its program on a coach who has 4 losing teams in 5 years. Keeping a time loser is more than enough bad risk.

But then again, he might be thrilled to get an ACC job now, and come to love it.

That's the reason you interview a number of people.

Grant would be a great hire. But he's from Charleston, has lived and coached in that area (the Carolinas) for a while, and I doubt he'd consider moving to Pittsburgh to coach Pitt. Unless the money was extremely impressive.

Ron Sanchez. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: PantherO
Grant would be a great hire. But he's from Charleston, has lived and coached in that area (the Carolinas) for a while, and I doubt he'd consider moving to Pittsburgh to coach Pitt. Unless the money was extremely impressive.

Ron Sanchez. That's all I'm saying.

Just took the time to watch Grant speak in the clip above when he accepted Charleston job. Hire him now! How a person presents himself is not necessarily a barometer of how well he can coach. But, I think it shows his character and how well he would represent both the University as well as himself to prospective parents and their kids during the recruitment process.

Just took the time to watch Grant speak in the clip above when he accepted Charleston job. Hire him now! How a person presents himself is not necessarily a barometer of how well he can coach. But, I think it shows his character and how well he would represent both the University as well as himself to prospective parents and their kids during the recruitment process.

I watched the a bit of the SoCon Championship and at the end they showed him and a player hugging and crying. He comes across as a hugely passionate dude that would bode well recruiting. Problem is there is like no way he'd be at Pitt for more than 4 years. He'd either be fired for doing a bad job or leave for anothet job in the south, even if its a lateral move. But maybe he makes BK his Associate HC and if we have success and he leaves for the south, BK, who would be more seasoned, just takes over

He makes a great appearance and would be a great representative for Pitt. But College of Charleston is also a great place. And I think he graduated from there. I think it would be hard to pry him away, unless he could stay at a major program in that area (Clemson, USC, for example).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT