ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT ~ Cost of a Wedding

My brother and sister-in-law own a bridal registry and gift store in Atlanta, called Fragile. One thing I give couples more credit for today is making more intelligent decisions on bridal registries. No longer does everyone register for expensive sets of china and silverware that they almost never will use.

Today, most people register for more practical every day dishes and china, good appliances, knive sets and items like that. Before it went bankrupt trying to expand way too fast, Bed Bath & Beyond had developed a good bridal registration business.

Registering for gifts to help pay for honeymoons also has become fairly big. The last wedding I was invited to, the couple was honeymooning in Lake Como, Italy and their bridal registration agency specialized in honeymoons. You could gift them a one-day payment of their hotel room or rental car, a tour while they were there, part of their airfare, etc.
A lot of couples live together for years and don't necessarily need a blender because they already jointly bought one.

We bought a house about 2 months before the wedding so we did as for some home goods but we also took cash. It helped with the variety of expenses we had at the time - some home reno, furniture, honeymoon, etc. - Cash is always a good gift.

Well yeah but in these days, it is a 50/50 prop that the marriage lasts more than 10 years.
The 50/50 rate is for all marriages but it's more working class people who skew the numbers downward. I know that the higher you go in education level, the lower the divorce rate gets. Probably because it takes longer to attain higher education and those people tend toward being a W2 worker. So comfortable life but not outrageously poor or rich.

So you have longer to develop your own sense of self, possibly know your partner longer before marriage, and there's often major financial downside to divorce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT