ADVERTISEMENT

We have some incredibly stupid coaches

Trying to go tempo would just be inviting disaster. Fans are asking the QB & the offense to be something it's not right now. They had their chances in this game doing what they do and they didn't get it done.

I'm indifferent on Cignetti. The important thing right now is QB development and improvement on the OL. The offense is getting better. It just needs time. It should be better next year regardless of OC.

Imagine thinking a 3rd year P5 quarterback is incapable of running an uptempo offense. Absolutely clueless 🤣

High school offenses run uptempo when the situation dictates it, FFS.

Reactions: bobfree and 303vND
I am doubling down refuting the claim that the Duzz is light-years better than Dave.

Look, I know you are a Wanny hater and Petersen fanboy, but that claim by TD is bullshit and you know it.
Wanny had 3 winning seasons in 6 years. He never won a conference outright.

Narduzzi's conference record is 42-29.
Wanny's OVERALL record at Pitt was 42-31.

Imagine thinking a 3rd year P5 quarterback is incapable of running an uptempo offense. Absolutely clueless 🤣

High school offenses run uptempo when the situation dictates it, FFS.
I didn't say he was incapable of running it. I just said he's incapable of running it with any success. ...as in today, against FSU.

Now lecture me about what you saw that makes you think it would have been effective.

I mean if they want to turn a 17 point loss into a 31 point loss, have at it.

Wanny had 3 winning seasons in 6 years. He never won a conference outright.

Narduzzi's conference record is 42-29.
Wanny's OVERALL record at Pitt was 42-31.

Hahahaha. Talk about doctoring stats.

Narduzzi winning percentage: 57.66%.

Wannstedt winning percentage: 57.53%.

They're the same goof.

Narduzzi doesn't want any assistant upscaling him so he hires guys that won't steal the limelight. Major major ego problem!!! Alot of assistants won't come here since he's too difficult to work with. I'm glad some high ups were at practices this week evaluating. All the assistants on the offense side of the ball need shown the door.
Is Pitt willing to pay for an OC , or are they going take $850K and go dumpster diving?

I didn't say he was incapable of running it. I just said he's incapable of running it with any success. ...as in today, against FSU.

Now lecture me about what you saw that makes you think it would have been effective.

I mean if they want to turn a 17 point loss into a 31 point loss, have at it.

No wonder you like Narduzzi so much. You'd rather lose less ugly than try to win. 13-something left in the 4th, down 17, and consistently huddling up and snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds left on the play clock is loser ball. I don't give AF about losing by 31 or 17; I care about giving my team the best chance to win, however unlikely that may be.

He coached like a guy who was cognizant of last week's final and was looking for a moral victory. You wanna defend that?

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and 303vND
Is Pitt willing to pay for an OC , or are they going take $850K and go dumpster diving?

It will not be a young innovative coach, zero chance, nada. Every OC hire has been around the blocks a few times, except maybe Canada. It will be another crony hire who believes in balance above all things.

No wonder you like Narduzzi so much. You'd rather lose less ugly than try to win. 13-something left in the 4th, down 17, and consistently huddling up and snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds left on the play clock is loser ball. I don't give AF about losing by 31 or 17; I care about giving my team the best chance to win, however unlikely that may be.

He coached like a guy who was cognizant of last week's final and was looking for a moral victory. You wanna defend that?
No. I'm just grounded in reality and believe my eyes.

Pitt's offense with CV behind center has put up 24 points in the last 11 quarters. But sure, let's go full Leeroy Jenkins and go tempo to makeup a 17 point deficit against FSU in 7 minutes.

That's some Lloyd Christmas level of "so you're telling me there's a chance" type of hoping to win a football game.

That's fine, I get it. However, to effect the kind of change everyone on this board is bitching about getting rid of Cignetti is a waste of time. It is. The overall talent on this team is so low, especially with inept quarterbacking, no amount X's and O's is going to make the impact everyone thinks it is. Duzz owns this, no one else.
I actually don’t see that. They have 4 receivers who I think can be good. They have Bart ( at least until transfer portal day ) …..they need a big time back and 2 offensive lineman. Their scheme playcalling makes them look worse than what they are. Also in college football you have to always be developing all your quarterbacks on the roster including your back ups and I don’t think Cignetti wanted to develop any quarterbacks. He just wants them ready to play. That’s not a good sign for a program that needs a coordinator that is good at developing quarterbacks.

Reactions: pierre93
No. I'm just grounded in reality and believe my eyes.

Pitt's offense with CV behind center has put up 24 points in the last 11 quarters. But sure, let's go full Leeroy Jenkins and go tempo to makeup a 17 point deficit against FSU in 7 minutes.

That's some Lloyd Christmas level of "so you're telling me there's a chance" type of hoping to win a football game.

7 minutes? Try 16 minutes. They were doing at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th.

Narduzzi Ballwashin' Inc.

I love what Narduzzi has done for this program. But this has a been an unnecessary disaster of a season. I think at the very least we need a change at OC. If Duzz is too stubborn to change it might be time for Pitt to negotiate a buyout. I don’t like changing after one bad season. But these are different days and again it’s been a total mess. This team should have been able to win 6 games this year

I keep hearing how bad the Big East was back in Wannys day. That’s totally BS. A plethora of NLL players and even a handful hall of famers played in that era. Both Kelce brothers played in the infamous 45-44 and were coached by Brian Kelly. Teams like Rutgers UCONN Cincy Louisville and even USF stepped up big time and were better than the teams who left for the ACC were most of the time in the rankings and who they put in the NFL in that era

Reactions: Farnox and 303vND
Narduzzi doesn't want any assistant upscaling him so he hires guys that won't steal the limelight. Major major ego problem!!! Alot of assistants won't come here since he's too difficult to work with. I'm glad some high ups were at practices this week evaluating. All the assistants on the offense side of the ball need shown the door.
LOL. More Pantherlair myths being created.

Wannstedt was fired for off-the-field problems with the players he recruited as much as anything. Besides the fact he couldn't win the weak Big East.
Who were all these kids getting into trouble? A magazine says it yet didn’t name one incident. The Pittsburgh media never even reported any incidents. You know why it didn’t? Because it was stupid shit like public urination, public intoxication. Stuff college kids do.

There was that linebacker who put his hands on that female before the season but he was kicked out immediately.

How Pitt handled the Wannstedt firing then its hiring of coaches is just another example of why the football program has been irrelevant for 40 years.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
There was a bunch of bad stuff going on with Wanny's players, and it wasn't all stupid shit.

Reactions: gary2
Who cares who's better?

It's now about how do we can better now.

Narduzzi is NOT the guy for that right now.

Reactions: 303vND
Who were all these kids getting into trouble? A magazine says it yet didn’t name one incident. The Pittsburgh media never even reported any incidents. You know why it didn’t? Because it was stupid shit like public urination, public intoxication. Stuff college kids do.

There was that linebacker who put his hands on that female before the season but he was kicked out immediately.

How Pitt handled the Wannstedt firing then its hiring of coaches is just another example of why the football program has been irrelevant for 40 years.
You apparently weren't paying attention then. I'm not about to do your google research for you, but it is common knowledge what was happening then.

Wannstedt was fired for off-the-field problems with the players he recruited as much as anything. Besides the fact he couldn't win the weak Big East.

If Wannstedt beat UCONN and/or WVU, he would have still had a job in 2011. The off-field problems were convenient window dressing. The humiliation by WVU was the final straw

EDIT: and also telling Pederson to pound salt when he suggested changes since he thought Nordy had his back, which he didn't.

Again, off field issues were a nice reason to provide by the admin

You apparently weren't paying attention then. I'm not about to do your google research for you, but it is common knowledge what was happening then.
The author of the article didn’t give an example of a “serious” transgression because there weren’t any. Public urination isn’t serious. What do I know though? I only know the guy who was the head video coordinator for those Pitt teams and now is in charge of an NFL team’s video staff. I’ll take his word.

But let’s believe SI, which was already trending way down in 2010.

The author of the article didn’t give an example of a “serious” transgression because there weren’t any. Public urination isn’t serious. What do I know though? I only know the guy who was the head video coordinator for those Pitt teams and now is in charge of an NFL team’s video staff. I’ll take his word.

the article was perfect for Pederson & Nordy to save face for firing Wannstedt for poor results. People complain about Pederson & Nordy, but they moved on from a beloved yinzer alumni pretty quickly when things seemed to be going south.

You think Heather & the new admin will have as short of a rope? Doubtful. Guarantee Heather's end of season statement will be "We Love Pat, but we are obviously disappointed by the results of this season. I'll do everything possible to help Pat be successful again"

the article was perfect for Pederson & Nordy to save face for firing Wannstedt for poor results. People complain about Pederson & Nordy, but they moved on from a beloved yinzer alumni pretty quickly when things seemed to be going south.

You think Heather & the new admin will have as short of a rope? Doubtful. Guarantee Heather's end of season statement will be "We Love Pat, but we are obviously disappointed by the results of this season. I'll do everything possible to help Pat be successful again"
You are correct that she will say exactly that.
But actions speak louder than words. Behind the scenes she has to realize that sales and donations will plummet to near zero (as they should) if she doesn’t AT LEAST force Narduzzi to dump Cignetti immediately and then quickly find an up and coming modern Oc.

She can’t fire Narduzzi (nor does one single terrible season warrant that) … but if he balks and refuses this absolutely vital action, she needs to let him know he’s a lame duck who isn’t going to get squat for resources or assistance (this should be easy, given Pitt doesn’t want to give much of that to football anyway). Life will be made miserable for all involved. He can then decide to quit or negotiate a far more reasonable buyout if he wishes…or do what he should do and acquiesce.

Reactions: 303vND
You are correct that she will say exactly that.
But actions speak louder than words. Behind the scenes she has to realize that sales and donations will plummet to near zero (as they should) if she doesn’t AT LEAST force Narduzzi to dump Cignetti immediately and then quickly find an up and coming modern Oc.

She can’t fire Narduzzi (nor does one single terrible season warrant that) … but if he balks and refuses this absolutely vital action, she needs to let him know he’s a lame duck who isn’t going to get squat for resources or assistance (this should be easy, given Pitt doesn’t want to give much of that to football anyway). Life will be made miserable for all involved. He can then decide to quit or negotiate a far more reasonable buyout if he wishes…or do what he should do and acquiesce.

double edged sword. The empty seats and abandonment of the basketball program made it an easy decision to fire Stallings. But losing that much fan support does major damage to the program and makes it all the more difficult to rebuild as Capel has found out.

Yeah, she can wait until Acrisure is more of a ghost town and donations start to plummet and her hand is forced. But that will make it very difficult for the next person coming in to recover.

We all knew what was going on, and the public stuff was just the tip of the iceberg. He recruited some very sketchy kids.

double edged sword. The empty seats and abandonment of the basketball program made it an easy decision to fire Stallings. But losing that much fan support does major damage to the program and makes it all the more difficult to rebuild as Capel has found out.

Yeah, she can wait until Acrisure is more of a ghost town and donations start to plummet and her hand is forced. But that will make it very difficult for the next person coming in to recover.
As noted above, this is not a business as usual, ride it out for a few seasons while the checks still keep coming in… this is existential.

The conference situation is volatile. Everybody is jockeying for their future place in the inevitable fallout. Programs that have had their thumbs in their tails the last few years (like the one we played yesterday) realize this and have gone balls-in to right their ships. Just about every other that would find themselves on precipice seemingly have increased their focus, even freaking Duke.

Then there is … our program. There has probably never been a worse time to collapse like 1996. And not making desperate changes in the offseason (which begins when the gun sounds in the final game, though it really should have started already behind the scenes) will guarantee upcoming years will be even uglier than this one, as crazy as that likely seems this morning.

OC and most of not all offensive coaches need gone. Push out the slow dull witted pocket passers. Lyke should have already identified the best modern offensive coordinator that is in the G5 or FCS (aka someone affordable and willing to come here). Ideally one with a fr or so QB who odds lighting things up. She will be nothing less that totally deficient in her duties if this is not happening

Reactions: 303vND and pierre93
OC and most of not all offensive coaches need gone. Push out the slow dull witted pocket passers. Lyke should have already identified the best modern offensive coordinator that is in the G5 or FCS (aka someone affordable and willing to come here). Ideally one with a fr or so QB who odds lighting things up. She will be nothing less that totally deficient in her duties if this is not happening

that would be ideal in some multi-verse, but the reality is Heather may suggest (or by some miracle demand) a change at OC, and Narduzzi brings in another crony hire like he has done for all the other OC's and it will be someone who believes in "balance"

As noted above, this is not a business as usual, ride it out for a few seasons while the checks still keep coming in… this is existential.

The conference situation is volatile. Everybody is jockeying for their future place in the inevitable fallout. Programs that have had their thumbs in their tails the last few years (like the one we played yesterday) realize this and have gone balls-in to right their ships. Just about every other that would find themselves on precipice seemingly have increased their focus, even freaking Duke.

Then there is … our program. There has probably never been a worse time to collapse like 1996. And not making desperate changes in the offseason (which begins when the gun sounds in the final game, though it really should have started already behind the scenes) will guarantee upcoming years will be even uglier than this one, as crazy as that likely seems this morning.

She isn't happy and is very much involved. H2P

I keep hearing how bad the Big East was back in Wannys day. That’s totally BS. A plethora of NLL players and even a handful hall of famers played in that era. Both Kelce brothers played in the infamous 45-44 and were coached by Brian Kelly. Teams like Rutgers UCONN Cincy Louisville and even USF stepped up big time and were better than the teams who left for the ACC were most of the time in the rankings and who they put in the NFL in that era

It's amazing how all those teams were better, and yet none of them really were before the Big East got raided and after they ended up someplace else they all reverted back to pretty much exactly what they were before.

But yeah, sure, they all got really good all at the same time and then suddenly got really bad again right after. And it had nothing to do with the schedule.

that would be ideal in some multi-verse, but the reality is Heather may suggest (or by some miracle demand) a change at OC, and Narduzzi brings in another crony hire like he has done for all the other OC's and it will be someone who believes in "balance"
Probably. Doing one without the other would fit the definition of “half-assed” and that’s certainly been the ethos of this program since the 1980s. But if she’s the great AD everyone makes her out to be and wants to showcase her prowess in the sport that really matters, she’ll follow through to completion.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
The Wanny- Narduzzi comparisons roll on....

The immediate difference to me, is Wanny's franchise QB turned out to be a bum

Narduzzis went in the first round

Reverse Bostick and Pickett and Narduzzi never coaches at Pitt.

Both can be true. If the sketchy kids were winning enough games, I agree it all would have been tolerated.
Who were these sketchy kids? You mean the ones who stuck with the program after the dullards on lower campus gave them three coaches in three years? Are you saying Sheard was sketchy because some dude picked a fight with him?

Probably. Doing one without the other would fit the definition of “half-assed” and that’s certainly been the ethos of this program since the 1980s. But if she’s the great AD everyone makes her out to be and wants to showcase her prowess in the sport that really matters, she’ll follow through to completion.
She’s the one who by awarding this HC his last long extension trumpeted that she believed was a capable HC. Well the burden of proof is now squarely on her and Narduzzi’d shoulders. If he fails, she fails with him!

She’s the one who by awarding this HC his last long extension trumpeted that she believed was a capable HC. Well the burden of proof is now squarely on her and Narduzzi’d shoulders. If he fails, she fails with him!

I can never understand these big extensions especially since Narduzzi didn't have a lot of suitors after him. Although we aren't the only program to do this. Arkansas with Pittman, who wasn't really in high demand either, host of others as well

edit: and by "a lot of suitors", I mean "any"

I can never understand these big extensions especially since Narduzzi didn't have a lot of suitors after him. Although we aren't the only program to do this. Arkansas with Pittman, who wasn't really in high demand either, host of others as well

All of these buyout clauses are dumb. A lot of schools paying people not to coach.

In total agreement… All that was important was that he have 4 years remaining and no more. Lyke pulled the same stunt with Capel…she may have lucked out on that one. . There were plenty of signals ahead of 2021 that this HC had some significant “ developmental needs” as they say in the HR world.

Who were these sketchy kids? You mean the ones who stuck with the program after the dullards on lower campus gave them three coaches in three years? Are you saying Sheard was sketchy because some dude picked a fight with him?
That's not the whole story, but you probably know that. Nevertheless, he should have been smart enough to realize that when the spotlight is on you because of who you are, you probably shouldn't throw someone through a glass door.

Like I said, tip of the iceberg.

Throwing a guy through a window and continuing to pound on him while cops are present isn't serious?

You seem to be one of those guys who has lying eyes, because you refuse to believe what the news reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT