ADVERTISEMENT

Week 10 ACC Bowl Standings (and how PSU going to Orange Bowl helps Pitt)

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
First, the NY6 bowls:

Peach: Alabama vs Texas A&M
Fiesta: Clemson vs Michigan
Orange: Louisville vs Wisconsin
Sugar: Auburn vs Oklahoma
Rose: Ohio State vs Washington
Cotton: Nebraska vs Western Michigan

Citrus: Florida State

Russell Athletic: Virginia Tech

Tier 1
Music City: NC State
Belk: North Carolina
Pinstripe: Miami
Sun: Pitt

Tier 2
St. Petersburg: Georgia Tech
Independence: Wake Forest
Military: Syracuse
Quick Lane: Boston College

- There are 2 wildcards for Pitt: Notre Dame getting to 6-6 so they can jump Pitt and all other 7-5 teams for a Tier 1 bowl.....and the Big Ten getting the Orange Bowl which is why I bring up Penn State

- With the current rankings, Wisconsin would get the Orange Bowl as the highest ranked B10/SEC team not in the Rose, Sugar, or CFP. However, that is misleading because Texas A&M will not go to the CFP over undefeated P12 champ Washington. Washington is not a conference champion yet so if they win it, heck even with a loss at 12-1, they get the spot over A&M. This knocks the Aggies to the Sugar and makes Auburn, Florida, and LSU available for the Orange. Still with me? With Nebraska looking at a few more losses and Wisconsin with at least another loss in the B10 champ game, the ACC's best hope for the Citrus Bowl is for #12 Penn State to beat Iowa, Rutgers, IU, and MSU to finish 10-2 with a ranking between 7-9 probably. There is a better chance that Nebraska or Wisconsin take some losses and get jumped by Auburn, Florida, or LSU. PSU is probably the safest B10 bet for the Orange Bowl right now.

- Pitt really needs PSU or another B10 team to get the Orange so the ACC gets the Citrus and a Tier 1 spot opens.

- Even if the ACC gets the Citrus, Pitt better go 8-4 because if they go 7-5 and ND goes 3-1 down the stretch (wins over Navy, Army, and either VT or USC), 6-6 ND is jumping ANY 7-5 ACC team for Tier 1.

- So, in a nutshell, Pitt's best hope for a Tier 1 bowl is probably 2 more wins and a 4-0 finish for Penn State. If PSU loses a game, chances are better an SEC team gets the Orange, and we head to Detroit.

I still think we are going to Sun if we get to 7 wins.

Only if ACC gets Citrus and ND goes 5-7.

I'd rather go to St Pete than see the Peds in the Orange Bowl

Me too but we don't travel well enough for St. Pete. They will take GT. They dont travel well either but the thought will be that their fans are more likely to drive than ours are to fly.

I'd rather go to St Pete than see the Peds in the Orange Bowl

Here's all that matters on this subject despite all of the diatribe in the OP:

Pitt played the nits. Pitt BEAT the nits.

What the nits do or don't do from here on out is completely out of Pitt's hands and control. So it's total nonsense for Pitt to concern themselves with it one way or the other.

Penn St. has fallen into a favorable schedule and is taking full advantage much like Iowa did last year. If they win 9 or 10 games and face another 9 or 10 team win in a bowl match up (such as Florida State or Oklahoma) they will get beat by 20 plus and people will understand that a favorable schedule got PSU the 9-10 wins, so it will be ok. The fact that Pitt beat them makes me feel ok with whatever PSU does the rest of the way.

NC St. is going to have a tough time getting to 6 wins. If we can win 7 games we are going to Pinstripe or Sun.

Pitt is not going to Detroit. Most likely Belk , Sun, some of the conferences can't fill the commitments so the bowl games may look differently than in the past. Pitt will have more than one option

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT