ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 team

gourdt

Walk-on
Nov 9, 2009
I just saw that the team we play in week 2 had 2 players retire due to injury. DE Buchholtz and CB Jordan Minor. Buchholtz was to be part of the starting rotation at DE. Minor is a 4star 2018 kid who never played a down. He has a heart condition so is stepping away.
I think the D side of the ball could be their Achilles heel this year. Hopefully we can take advantage of it.

Lots of losses are hard to replace.We've been having an amazing camp with nothing but positives on both Offense and Defense, and they have been losing players left and right. I can see us running at them the entire game, getting their D very tired, and then Pickett will work his magic. 3rd downs will be huge for us that game. If we do good on 3rd downs, I can see us beating them by a touchdown.

I just saw that the team we play in week 2 had 2 players retire due to injury. DE Buchholtz and CB Jordan Minor. Buchholtz was to be part of the starting rotation at DE. Minor is a 4star 2018 kid who never played a down. He has a heart condition so is stepping away.
I think the D side of the ball could be their Achilles heel this year. Hopefully we can take advantage of it.
I know you read it that way which leads me to an off topic rant, what the hell is with the usage of the word "retire" now being used in the sports pages for kids quitting college football? The word is quit. Sure miss the days when a word's definition was used properly..

I know you read it that way which leads me to an off topic rant, what the hell is with the usage of the word "retire" now being used in the sports pages for kids quitting college football? The word is quit. Sure miss the days when a word's definition was used properly..

You can retire from a job or retire a loan or you can retire the side in a baseball game. You can retire to your quarters or retire to deliberate a verdict. You can even retire your troops if you’re losing a battle.

Ok! I guess it's just PC now. The way I seen it posted online was retired, so that's the term I used. I was just trying to post relevant news for the upcoming season.

Buchholz was probably most complete D-lineman, but team played without him quite a bit last year in 2nd half of season. It would be a lot more damaging for team to lose either Windsor or Givens given the lack of experienced backups at DTs. The Ends are still in decent shape, but margin for absorbing injuries is smaller.

Big ?s are middle of the D with those tackles and the mic LB still TBD. Don't think any PSU fan is sweating the secondary despite the losses of Haley, Campbell, Apke and Allen. That was probably the deepest stable on the roster and is helped by getting Reid back. Oruwareye is also very good under the radar player. Not as highly touted as some of the others but I believe actually grades out as one of the best pro DB prospects in the conference heading into the season.

Reactions: pittdan77
Just a guess, but I think retire infers that the injured athlete retains his scholarship and can continue his education. Maybe comes to practice and helps out the coaches.

Quit infers leaving the team, perhaps leaving school and doing something else with the immediate future.

Reactions: pittmeister

Hate to see kids have injuries or conditions that may affect the resr of their life. Glad they chose wisely, regardless of what school they attend.

You can retire from a job or retire a loan or you can retire the side in a baseball game. You can retire to your quarters or retire to deliberate a verdict. You can even retire your troops if you’re losing a battle.

And when the tires on your car wear out, you just retire.

"leave one's job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment " ...definition 1 applies to usage on a sports team...retirement in this sense requires a slaired compensated job... subsequent definitions to the word such as you use, do not...
the thing about it, and in my never ending quest to become and old curmudgeon, is that this usage just came about from nowhere and is not an accurate portrayal of what occurred....

Well this would be the post that would queue the purple exclamation posts about his favorite team in Central PA. I do miss some of his insight, especially for week 2 game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT