ADVERTISEMENT

Carlton Carrington wins MIAA Championship as he buries #15 Mt. St. Joseph and Amani Hansberry in OT

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
I was looking forward to this game because Hansberry stole the MVP award from Carrington for the regular season MVP in what was complete non sense. Carrington averaged 10 points per game more than Hansberry and 10 points per game more than Jahnathan Lamothe for the entire season, but Hansberry played on the best team in the regular season and was given the Baltimore Catholic League MVP award over Carrington who finished 1st team.

The playoffs are a different story however. Just like with Michael Jordan... When Charles Barkley won the regular season MVP over Jordan which was a joke, Barkley was buried by Jordan in the NBA Finals in the same year. History tends to repeat,

With Carrington scoring 24 points tonight, 30 per game for the tournament, and scoring 6 of his teams total 9 points in overtime, Carrington helped guide his team to a MIAA Championship over the #15 ranked team in the entire country. Carrington's stats for the entire season, one of the most dominant seasons in Baltimore Catholic League history.

26.4 PPG
7 RPG
6 APG
2 SPG
49% FG
38% 3P
86% FT

Hansberry and his team fall to 35-4 on the season. The 2 National powerhouse schools have a chance to meet again in the finals of the Baltimore Catholic league playoffs, which is set to take place next week.

On a side note, Jaland Lowe has his FB Marshall team rolling as his team enters the regional quarterfinals tomorrow. Lowe is averaging 26 points per game in the playoffs coming off blowout wins. They will be a considerable favorite until they meet powerhouse Ellison in the Regional Finals in Texas.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty good replacement for our current #11. The jersey number fits.

Reactions: cabe23
Looks like a pretty good replacement for our current #11. The jersey number fits.

They are different players but both add a lot of value to stuffing the stat sheet. Carrington was quite good last night. He has really worked on his dribble drive to the basket and it is much better than last summer. He missed some really easy layups yesterday that he would almost always make but they just rolled out. His midrange game was very tough yesterday and he made some really nice passes. His passing game is highly undervalued Nationally.

The best part of this game was when Hansberry blocked Carrington and the MSJ student section started chanting your to small to Carrington in overtime. Carrington then scores 6 points in overtime right after that including a jumper against Hansberry and wins the game for St. Francis.

They are different players but both add a lot of value to stuffing the stat sheet. Carrington was quite good last night. He has really worked on his dribble drive to the basket and it is much better than last summer. He missed some really easy layups yesterday that he would almost always make but they just rolled out. His midrange game was very tough yesterday and he made some really nice passes. His passing game is highly undervalued Nationally.

The best part of this game was when Hansberry blocked Carrington and the MSJ student section started chanting your to small to Carrington in overtime. Carrington then scores 6 points in overtime right after that including a jumper against Hansberry and wins the game for St. Francis.
Where do you see him playing next year and which player from this year's team do you think he will most resemble?

Reactions: Drew1208
Where do you see him playing next year and which player from this year's team do you think he will most resemble?
On this team Burton because I think he'll play alot of 3. Similar size....midrange
Good ft shooter

I don't think they're really the same but closest on this roster

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Point Forward is my preference although he can play SG. He has played backup point guard this season in high school and in the EYBL last summer.

There really isn't a player on the current Pitt team he plays alike. Burton may be the closest if I had to pick just one player off this current team, but their games are quite different.

Its an off day if Carrington makes less than 2 threes in a game unless he doesn't shoot that many in a game, like the game above.

If he had better shot selection and didn't have to do so much with 1 on 1 isolation as the go to scorer, his 3 point percentage would be above 40 right now as a high volume shot taker. He is a go to scorer instead of a spot up shooter like Barnes.

Point Forward is my preference although he can play SG. He has played backup point guard this season in high school and in the EYBL last summer.

There really isn't a player on the current Pitt team he plays alike. Burton may be the closest if I had to pick just one player off this current team, but their games are quite different.

Its an off day if Carrington makes less than 2 threes in a game unless he doesn't shoot that many in a game, like the game above.

If he had better shot selection and didn't have to do so much with 1 on 1 isolation as the go to scorer, his 3 point percentage would be above 40 right now as a high volume shot taker. He is a go to scorer instead of a spot up shooter like Barnes.
Is he a better three point shooter than Burton?

Throwing this in there. This is Jaland Lowe's last playoff game. A couple points here.

1) He uses both hands to score, which is is going to really help him in college next year. Ive said this in the past.

2) You can see his little brother Eian Lowe in this video working with Jaland. Eian is a 2025 recruit. There has been a lot of topics asking about how many brothers Pitt could have on one team in the future. Eian is small, but he can play. One to watch for down the road.

Good Stuff! Keep the updates coming.

Some Lowe highlights tonight.

Continues to go left, score with the left hand. Continues to go right, score with the right hand. The use and scoring ability of both hands going both ways is what makes him so tough to deal with among so many other things.

Big games coming up in March for Carrington and Lowe as March is when it matters in playoff season. Barnes takes on St. Vincent tomorrow in the playoffs. Barnes is going to need to be assertive and score if Brush is going to have any chance. They got blown out in the last meeting against them as the guards couldn't deal with the defensive pressure.

Continues to go left, score with the left hand. Continues to go right, score with the right hand. The use and scoring ability of both hands going both ways is what makes him so tough to deal with among so many other things.

Big games coming up in March for Carrington and Lowe as March is when it matters in playoff season. Barnes takes on St. Vincent tomorrow in the playoffs. Barnes is going to need to be assertive and score if Brush is going to have any chance. They got blown out in the last meeting against them as the guards couldn't deal with the defensive pressure.

He looks truly ambidextrous

Reactions: Jeffburgh

And Marlon Barnes did it. One of the biggest upsets in all of high school basketball the entire season just happened this evening. The Brush Arcs have officially taken down St. Vincent St. Mary, the defending high school champions in Ohio tonight in the playoffs. I guess Barnes didn't want Carrington and Lowe to steal all the accolades this March, as Barnes put up 17 points and 10 rebounds in a 42-37 defensive slugfest to advance in the playoffs. A Monster win for Chet Mason, Barnes, and Brush basketball. Congrats guys on getting it done.

The show continues for Jaland Lowe in state playoff basketball as FB Marshall rolls 70-45 and books its ticket to the regional finals in Texas.

Lowe's line tonight

34 points
7 rebounds
3 assists
4 steals
2 turnovers
10-21 FG
2-3 from 3
8-11 free throw

This sets up a potential major match tomorrow against power Ellison. Ellison is the #2 ranked team in the state of Texas, Lowe's team is ranked #3. Lowe will be matched up against 4 star guard Jamyron Keller headed to Oklahoma State shall Ellison win this evening.

Carlton Carrington scored 17 points earlier in its BCL quarterfinal victory. Carrington will be matched up against powerhouse St. Maria tomorrow in the semifinals where 2 of the top teams in all of high school basketball will play.

Also, Brandin Cummings got his first 4 star bump in the national rankings by ESPN.com. I expect after the EYBL starts, Cummings will be making his push to the National top 100 and will be ranked comfortably as a 4 star player.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Also, Brandin Cummings got his first 4 star bump in the national rankings by ESPN.com. I expect after the EYBL starts, Cummings will be making his push to the National top 100 and will be ranked comfortably as a 4 star player.
Interesting. The conventional “wisdom” around here is Pitt commits lose stars.

Where do you think Barnes, Lowe, and Carrington all will be ranked? The stats and comments you made seem like top 75-80. I know Lowe is already better than those rankings.

And do all three players get 15 plus minutes as freshman next year at Pitt?

Watching Lincoln Park right now in the WPIAL Finals.

Lincoln leads 39-33 at halftime.

Cummings has 16 points at the half for Lincoln's total 39. He has displayed a really nice offensive package this first half. Points in transition, from midrange, from 3, with quick jab steps, 2 ankle breaking crossovers that were both high level moves and college ready for scores. Offensively, Cummings has looked fantastic in one half. He was perfect from the free throw line and 1-1 from 3. Defensively, he has gotten blown by with dribble penetration at least twice for scores, and he only has 1 rebound in this game. Again, defense and rebounding are his biggest problem as I said earlier. His step back game also looks good.

Meleek Thomas was a disaster on offense in this first half. 6 first half turnovers, bad shot selection, and just out of control. He has been strong on the glass and on defense for Lincoln. Cummings getting it done on offense, Thomas on defense. If Thomas gets under control Lincoln should win this game going away. North Catholic is not all that talented.

Lincoln lead 55-54 after 3 quarters.

Cummings has 20 points. He finally got switched to point after all the Lincoln turnovers in this game. Thomas has 9 turnovers through 3 quarters.

All Lincoln needs to do is not turn it over.

Cummings is shooting 8-11 in this game. Give him the ball in the 4th.

Lincoln lead 55-54 after 3 quarters.

Cummings has 20 points. He finally got switched to point after all the Lincoln turnovers in this game. Thomas has 9 turnovers through 3 quarters.

All Lincoln needs to do is not turn it over.

Cummings is shooting 8-11 in this game. Give him the ball in the 4th.
Cummings looked really good. Glad we got him on board early.

Thomas is uber talented.

Lincoln wins 78-68

Cummings line

22 points
1 rebound
1 assist
1 steal
1 turnover
9-14 shooting
1-2 3 point shooting
3-3 free throw

By far the most efficient player in this game on offense on either team was Cummings. Thomas was big time on defense and big time on rebounds, and finished with 25 points, 9 turnovers, and a lot of misses and I did not track his total shots. He generated a lot of steals which led to a lot of transition baskets. Thomas upped his game in the 4th quarter and Lincoln pulled away with ease.

Where do you think Barnes, Lowe, and Carrington all will be ranked? The stats and comments you made seem like top 75-80. I know Lowe is already better than those rankings.

Where I would rank them meaning me, not where I think other people are going to rank them.

Carrington- top 50-60
Lowe- top 50-60
Barnes- top 150-250

Carrington- 15 minutes + per game, potential starter
Lowe- 15 minutes + per game
Barnes- Redshirt

I think Barnes can go one of 2 ways. I think he has the potential to be another Audiese Toney without being a headcase and problem for his teammates. I also think he can bust. He has the athleticism, wingspan, and height to do really well with development in time. He is good on defense now. But his offense needs significant work besides being a decent spot up 3 point shooter. For what its worth, Barnes has finally stepped up his game the last 4 games of the regular season and playoffs. He is the reason why Brush is where they are at in the playoffs. But he did not have a strong senior season. I would consider his senior season average to above average with the whole body of work.

We'll see how the 3 of them finish out in the playoffs. There are big games tomorrow against tough teams.

Where I would rank them meaning me, not where I think other people are going to rank them.

Carrington- top 50-60
Lowe- top 50-60
Barnes- top 150-250

Carrington- 15 minutes + per game, potential starter
Lowe- 15 minutes + per game
Barnes- Redshirt

I think Barnes can go one of 2 ways. I think he has the potential to be another Audiese Toney without being a headcase and problem for his teammates. I also think he can bust. He has the athleticism, wingspan, and height to do really well with development in time. He is good on defense now. But his offense needs significant work besides being a decent spot up 3 point shooter. For what its worth, Barnes has finally stepped up his game the last 4 games of the regular season and playoffs. He is the reason why Brush is where they are at in the playoffs. But he did not have a strong senior season. I would consider his senior season average to above average with the whole body of work.

We'll see how the 3 of them finish out in the playoffs. There are big games tomorrow against tough teams.

Are there streams to watch?

Vader, how would you rank some of the other underclassman in WPIAL?

I dont watch wpial basketball at all outside of Lincoln. Ive seen 5 or so full games of Lincoln this year. Ive seen 1 Imani game, against Lincoln. The 3 best players are Meleek Thomas, Alier Maluk, and Cummings. Royce Parham is probably 4th. If they aren't playing in the EYBL, Im not watching them unless they are a Pitt commit.

Jaland Lowe finished with 16 points today in a loss to Ellison in the Elite 8 of the Texas State Championships. I dont have the final numbers, but he did not shoot well at all today. His season comes to an end.

Marlon Barnes finished with 14 points in a loss to Walsh Jesuit. The score was a 1 point game with less than a minute before they fell. His season also has come to an end.

Carlton Carrington's line tonight

34 points
7 rebounds
2 steals
2 assists
1 turnover
12-22 shooting
1-3 from 3
9-9 from the line

St. Maria's beat Carrington's team in the BCL semifinals 68-62. Carrington scored at will in this game. The full stream should be posted online tomorrow to watch from Dye.

OT--Too bad we can't get the upcoming #1 NBA draft pick to play for Pitt. I have heard that Victor Wembanyama has now grown to 7-5. The guy has guard skills and can block shots with either hand. NBA scouts think he is the NBA's next superstar and will be the league's top player of the next decade.

Wembanyama

Last edited:
Are there streams to watch?

The full game is now online to watch from yesterday where Carrington's team is in the semifinals against one of the toughest high school teams in the country.

If anyone wants to see Carlton Carrington go to work and not watch the entire game, start at the 44 minute mark of the video. Carrington's team is down 20 points in the 4th quarter and is dead in the water, and Carrington completely takes the game over and scores 19 points in the final 6 or so minutes of the game in all types of different ways along with some nifty passes and some steals. The furious comeback rally comes up just short. He is going to be really good.

OT--Too bad we can't get the upcoming #1 NBA draft pick to play for Pitt. I have heard that Victor Wembanyama has now grown to 7-5. The guy has guard skills and can block shots with either hand. NBA scouts think he is the NBA's next superstar and will be the league's top player of the next decade.

Wembanyama
I don’t know anything about him in particular but at that size it’s been hard for guys that tall to remain healthy.

The full game is now online to watch from yesterday where Carrington's team is in the semifinals against one of the toughest high school teams in the country.

If anyone wants to see Carlton Carrington go to work and not watch the entire game, start at the 44 minute mark of the video. Carrington's team is down 20 points in the 4th quarter and is dead in the water, and Carrington completely takes the game over and scores 19 points in the final 6 or so minutes of the game in all types of different ways along with some nifty passes and some steals. The furious comeback rally comes up just short. He is going to be really good.

He looks all of 6'6 and maybe more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT