ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we lost our best player today

Oct 25, 2021
Dayon Hayes to the portal (well, when it opens tomorrow).

Alright, I'm convinced. Drop this sack of shit program and join the Big East in hoops. It's nobody's fault; it's just not feasible for us to have a football team worth watching. Go independent in football, and duke it out with MAC and Sun Belt teams. F it.

Ball State... we comin' 4 you!
Coastal Caronlina... we comin 4 you!
Eastern Michigan... we comin' 4 you!
Old Dominion... we comin 4 you!

Alright, I'm convinced. Drop this sack of shit program and join the Big East in hoops. It's nobody's fault; it's just not feasible for us to have a football team worth watching. Go independent in football, and duke it out with MAC and Sun Belt teams. F it.
Yeah take less money, that makes sense. Must have been some program approaching him since he was already part of the 412 Alliance. Let's see where he goes!

Reactions: HailToPitt725

palpatine-darth.gif

If Dayon Hayes is our best player we already are at the level of those schools.

If Dayon Hayes is our best player we already are at the level of those schools.

Who's a better player than he is right now?

And talk about a crucial position. DE is the lifeblood of Pat Narduzzi's defense, and we've already lost Okunlola and Temple and moved Johnson and Brima insside. And a freaking walk-on just got taken before that dude from Clemson in the Spring Draft. We strugglin'.

Who's a better player than he is right now?

And talk about a crucial position. DE is the lifeblood of Pat Narduzzi's defense, and we've already lost Okunlola and Temple and moved Johnson and Brima insside. And a freaking walk-on just got taken before that dude from Clemson in the Spring Draft. We strugglin'.
We were 3-9. Maybe he was our best player but…….

Reactions: singregardless
This blows

I honestly don't care anymore. D-line is a huge commodity in the portal. We'll play the young guys, and if any of them (Neal, Brewu, Edwards, Whittington, etc.) show an inkling of talent they'll just be bought away. Not much we can do about it. Pitt football is dead until the model changes (if that ever happens).

Reactions: Weavedog469

Well do you know what isn't a good way to improve on a 3-9 season? Losing your best players. Crazily enough, when 50 guys are regularly seeing the field it is possible for the team to be bad as a whole and some players to be good.

We were 3-9 entirely due to QB… without getting too specific…. We all know even moderate QB play and we beat Cincinnati and WVU… and off to a better start

His draft stock will never be higher unless he has a standout year for his new team next season. It is curious that he is choosing to transfer rather than declaring for the NFL draft

We were 3-9 entirely due to QB… without getting too specific…. We all know even moderate QB play and we beat Cincinnati and WVU… and off to a better start

And Wake. And Syracuse. And Virginia Tech, probably. And maybe FSU, honestly. And maybe Duke if we have some momentum from said games.

Reactions: DruidTM
There are 8 players that needs to go to make the 85 scholarship limit. Anyone who thought there wouldn't be any surprises is being naïve.

Every school lose players such as Hayes. Having said that, he was a good player, not great. Pitt didn't lose a Kancey, a Patrick Jones, a Rashad Weaver or even a Jaylen Twyman.

Losing Sam Okunola hurt much worse.

Not going to look it up again, but I'm pretty sure he had something close to a top ten pressure rate in the country. So it's pretty lazy just to look at the sack totals. Especially when he was no doubt commanding the most attention.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Not going to look it up again, but I'm pretty sure he had something close to a top ten pressure rate in the country. So it's pretty lazy just to look at the sack totals. Especially when he was no doubt commanding the most attention.
Lead the ACC in Pressure Rate in 2023. He totaled 81 Tackles, 27 TFL, 13 Sacks & 3 FFs in his College Career.

We lost a good player. I think a couple more surprises might be in store. Every school goes through this unfortunately.

Lead the ACC in Pressure Rate in 2023. He totaled 81 Tackles, 27 TFL, 13 Sacks & 3 FFs in his College Career.

We lost a good player. I think a couple more surprises might be in store. Every school goes through this unfortunately.

If it was just Hayes not wanting to be part of a rebuild in year six I'd get it. Unfortunately, we lost Hayes plus Okunlola. And they'll both be drafted. We can't afford to lose two NFL defensive ends. Solid d end play is crucial to the way Narduzzi runs his defense. If we're not getting pressure on the QB, we'll get picked apart.

If it was just Hayes not wanting to be part of a rebuild in year six I'd get it. Unfortunately, we lost Hayes plus Okunlola. And they'll both be drafted. We can't afford to lose two NFL defensive ends. Solid d end play is crucial to the way Narduzzi runs his defense. If we're not getting pressure on the QB, we'll get picked apart.
Can't argue with any of that. But as I say, every school has and will be going through this. Not just Pitt. I'm sure Hayes took a look and said, Pitt won't be much better this year than last and decided to take the money. Or maybe he wanted more money and Pitt said take a hike.

It sucks, but let's see what happens.

Can't argue with any of that. But as I say, every school has and will be going through this. Not just Pitt. I'm sure Hayes took a look and said, Pitt won't be much better this year than last and decided to take the money. Or maybe he wanted more money and Pitt said take a hike.

It sucks, but let's see what happens.

It's just the fact that we lost guys on both ends of the spectrum that depresses me.

A hometown kid who stuck it out until year six... poof. So much for the "we need to get older" strategy.

A young talent who had barely even began to blossom... poof. So much for the "let's do it on the recruiting trail" strategy.

I feel more defeated than anything. I'm not mad, and I don't blame anyone. Just sucks.

It's tough to get excited for next year. I'm sure I will get pumped come Labor Day but this teams super optimisitc best case is probably 7-5. And that's because we play in a bad conference. This team loses 8 or 9 in the SEC.

And Wake. And Syracuse. And Virginia Tech, probably. And maybe FSU, honestly. And maybe Duke if we have some momentum from said games.
Yes and momentum works both ways…the team never once really got out of the funk except Louisville…. I can’t imagine the mood was great after the ass start to the season and losing games in such a pathetic manner.

That wasn’t on the D… hell FSU was there for the taking of the refs spot their DB with TWO hands grabbing the WRs facemask. Flag first and goal… instead they played blind and it was a fumble

It's tough to get excited for next year. I'm sure I will get pumped come Labor Day but this teams super optimisitc best case is probably 7-5. And that's because we play in a bad conference. This team loses 8 or 9 in the SEC.
Lol this team doesn't win a game in the SEC unless we draw Vandy, then it's a toss up for 1 win

Luckily we don't play in the SEC. I am going to have a great time Labor Day weekend eating ribs and watching us beat a cupcake. After that.....yikes....

Reactions: cbpitt2

Lol.

First of all, I dont even know if Dayon Hayes is any good. We went 3-9 last year and I dont remember him making any plays but I'll take your word for it that he's good. I guess we can look at this positively maybe in that A412 is trying to be smarter by not buying marginal football players when that money can be much better spent on basketball.

I do like the idea of joining the Big East in basketball when the ACC crumbles. I have 0 interest in playing Big 12 community colleges. I'd much rather Pitt go to the BE in hoops and form some football-only league with Syr, BC, UConn, Temple, maybe Duke, Wake, etc. Or go Indy in football. I do not need to see a home schedule of

Iowa State
UCF
Kansas State
Arizona

That doesn't do it for me.

Hayes will be playing in canada after some failed roster attempts in the nfl. Udfa at best. He isnt close to any of the guys who havr been drafted from our d line in the last 4 years. It isnt even close.

Hayes will be playing in canada after some failed roster attempts in the nfl. Udfa at best. He isnt close to any of the guys who havr been drafted from our d line in the last 4 years. It isnt even close.

Well, we lost our three best defensive linemen. I keep hearing that they're not good. Okay. Then doesn't that make it even worse, if we can't afford to keep mediocre players from getting picked off? Imagine if we ever get actual talent (according to those who say Okunlola, Jules, and Hayes aren't any good).

Well, we lost our three best defensive linemen. I keep hearing that they're not good. Okay. Then doesn't that make it even worse, if we can't afford to keep mediocre players from getting picked off? Imagine if we ever get actual talent (according to those who say Okunlola, Jules, and Hayes aren't any good).

The hope is we pay to keep the good players instead of wasting money on 3-9 players. I'm kinda glad Hayes left. I've been saying for months we are spending too much on marginal football players. Now, lets go get a wing scorer to replace Bub. We can get a very good guard for the same price as a 3-9 defensive lineman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT