ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia at Pitt 7PM 9/1

Ok we are 5 weeks out. time to start some real discussions on the game. Pitt is listed as a 7 point favorite on most Vegas lines and ESPN predicts a 78% chance of winning. Under/Over is at 54 so roughly a 31-24 or 30-23 Pitt win is predicted.

A new transfer QB for each team.
New offensive coordinator for each team

WVU 6-7 last year
All five starters return to O line
two decent receivers, not much depth
D Line has a lot of returning starter
Secondary lost about everything to transfers
both kickers return

Pitt 11-3 last year
There is consensus that despite losing a lot of talent to the NFL the last two seasons that Pitt returns a lot of talent.
New QB with talent
Returning O line
returning 3 RBS
WR expected drop off at #1 but see how the transfers do
D - 6 all ACC selections return
secondary has three starters returning but haven't been a strength
kicker returns, new Australian punter

This game likely comes down to QB play versus perceived weak secondaries. Lines on both sides appear to be the strength for both teams meaning that if we try to push hard to go to more balance or run focused offense that we could really bog down and become stagnant.

I would take the under on this game
Pitt 27
WVU 24

The ACC last season was the worst power 5 conference in the history of the CFP era. It was the first time that a G5 conference was better than a P5 conference in a season. It’s champion lost to directional Michigan at home and nearly gave up a 50 burger.

Excuse me if I’m just not that impressed especially when the two best players are gone.
Plzzzz....wvcc barely beat VT and they were garbage but continue your little rants. And good Ole Neeal Brown can get out of town.

Reactions: bschulter
West Virginia is bitter that they never got in the ACC which is fine by me because we already got a West Virginia in the conference and they go by the name N.C. State.
Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

Y’alls guess is as good as mine.

It’s fine to say “Tony who”? I wouldn’t expect you to know who that is.

Just like I have zero idea of the names of any Pitt player besides Slovis. Neither team is littered with stars. I did know Pickett and Addison.

Judging by the ACCC game rating, I’m certain that nobody would know any Pitt players other than maybe the few Pitt fans 😉

Just like I have zero idea of the names of any Pitt player besides Slovis. Neither team is littered with stars. I did know Pickett and Addison.

Judging by the ACCC game rating, I’m certain that nobody would know any Pitt players other than maybe the few Pitt fans 😉
What an ignorant comment. You mean to tell me you have no idea who Calijah Kancey, Sirvocea Dennis, and Izzy Abanikanda are with as much time you spend on our board? I'm pretty sure most college football fans can at least name the first two as they are two highly rated players at their positions in all of CFB.

a nice thing to think about is if pitt does what they are supposed too with WVU, that will be the nail in the coffin with Neal Brown's career at wvu.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUinColumbus
a nice thing to think about is if pitt does what they are supposed too with WVU, that will be the nail in the coffin with Neal Brown's career at wvu.
They could luck into a good coach looking for a stepping stone job, so I'd just as soon have him stay. With the L to Pitt.

They could luck into a good coach looking for a stepping stone job, so I'd just as soon have him stay. With the L to Pitt.
well he's on year 4 and like 4-5 games under .500 in a weak big 12. Another mediocre year and they dont fire him, he's a lame duck coach with no contract extension. Cant imagine that's something wvu wants to see

wvu will once again be a 6-6 or 5-7 team this year. So we better beat them, since they are nothing more than mediocre as usual. We're better than they are at practically every position, especially the skill positions and both lines. So on paper, it's not close. But we know how rivalry games go.

But it's a meaningless game as far as Pitt is concerned since it's not a conference game, other than it's against the hilljacks we hate so much. So beating them will feel good, but only for a few minutes. The next game against UT will be a bigger challenge.
"But it's a meaningless game as far as Pitt is concerned"...This sounds like a Nitter. Meaningless, my a$$. It's a rivalry that has been dead for 10 yrs. Get off your high horse!

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
"But it's a meaningless game as far as Pitt is concerned"...This sounds like a Nitter. Meaningless, my a$$. It's a rivalry that has been dead for 10 yrs. Get off your high horse!
yeah, i didnt get that. i prioritize ACC games over OOC games but to say it's meaningless is crazy. bowl games are kinda irrelevant but even those arent meaningless.

NFL Scouts do.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pitt should win the first game. But similar to the Peach Bowl, crazy things tend happen to f**k us over. Camp hasn’t even started; key injuries can and do happen. One or more key players might get busted on the south side. Etc etc.

West Virginia would be wise to call a bunch of fly pattern passes just to get a feel for how the referees will handle things with our DBs. If they are quick on the trigger to call PI on us (which seems a common thing for us in Thursday night national TV games), it will make things really tough. Likewise, and related, what will the refs allow WV to get away with as far as holding on our DL. If the refs allow rampant holding, that will also work against us. We are vulnerable to big plays.

If officiating is merely fair and even-handed we should be able to win, and frankly win comfortably, a couple scores or more. We have the better team up and down the dial.

Far from a nitter. I suspect you're closer to a nitter than I am. I don't believe that football program should even exist right now.

I don't take football too seriously, any of it. It's just entertainment and passes the time if I have nothing else to do. If you take it that seriously, knock yourself out. Hell, I may not even be around to attend the wvu game. I may be off relaxing on a beach somewhere instead. The game isn't a priority to me any longer. I've been attending these games for over 60 years, all of them. The game has devolved into a debacle and a farce now and I'm just not that interested any longer.

And no one will know who he is after the game. Who cares?

Far from a nitter. I suspect you're closer to a nitter than I am. I don't believe that football program should even exist right now.

I don't take football too seriously, any of it. It's just entertainment and passes the time if I have nothing else to do. If you take it that seriously, knock yourself out. Hell, I may not even be around to attend the wvu game. I may be off relaxing on a beach somewhere instead. The game isn't a priority to me any longer. I've been attending these games for over 60 years, all of them. The game has devolved into a debacle and a farce now and I'm just not that interested any longer.
yet you stick around on a college football message board in the off season. kind of weird since you dont care about the sport anymore.

yet you stick around on a college football message board in the off season. kind of weird since you dont care about the sport anymore.

The OT stuff is more interesting most of the time than the football talk. That's why I'm here. Or maybe out of habit. I've been on this board too long. I usually only get on here once a week or less. I'm sure you're here more than I am. I've been on this board since 2007 and you have a helluva lot more posts than I do, and you've only been around since 2018.

The OT stuff is more interesting most of the time than the football talk. That's why I'm here. Or maybe out of habit. I've been on this board too long. I usually only get on here once a week or less. I'm sure you're here more than I am.
yeah but i like pitt football unlike you so it makes sense why i am here.

yeah but i like pitt football unlike you so it makes sense why i am here.

I explained why I'm here. Not too much lately, though. Too many other things going on.

And I didn't say I don't like Pitt football. Don't try and twist my words. You're sounding like a politician. I just don't like the direction that college sports has taken the past few years and especially the last few months. It's in the sewer.

I stand my my comment that you sound like a Nitter. I didn't say you are one. Now you're sounding like a politician!

I cant possibly imagine how a pitt fan doesnt care about a pitt-wvu backyard brawl game. It just doesnt make sense. This game, this rivalry is what makes college football great. but he doesnt care lol. ok.
I also am dubious that anyone who seeks this site out and regularly posts on it doesn’t care, even if for some of the regulars here (Souf, etc), “caring” means caring about trolling.

As far as games like this, it is probably it’s a good psychological defense mechanism to say “I don’t care”, to prep one’s psyche if we lose. If only to try to fool your own self.

If you say (and say and say and say) all summer that “the WVU game is meaningless”…on a thread ABOUT the WVU game no less…the “not caring” ain’t flying.

I’ll say it right now, it is not close to being of true importance in my life but in the context of sports, I definitely give a shit about it. The stakes are high. You can preach to me all day long that losing to WVU (and especially if the followed up with a TN loss) “ means nothing “because they aren’t ACC losses,” that’s BS. That situation ruins the season. This is a season that 1 to 2 losses at most … total … needs to be bar. That might be lunacy… but it’s not uncaring lunacy.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
There is obviously a lot of smack talking going on. This is the truth. You can hate it or like it but it’s true…

Those that talk about it being the other team’s Super Bowl and/or diminishing the importance of the game are FAR AND AWAY more interested in the rivalry/game.

Period.

That’s not just Pitt, WVU, Penn St, etc. It’s universal.

There is obviously a lot of smack talking going on. This is the truth. You can hate it or like it but it’s true…

Those that talk about it being the other team’s Super Bowl and/or diminishing the importance of the game are FAR AND AWAY more interested in the rivalry/game.

Period.

That’s not just Pitt, WVU, Penn St, etc. It’s universal.
I love the brawl more than anyone but i dont like saying it's yours or ours "super bowl". i mean it's a great great rivalry but it is an OOC game.. No WVU or PItt fan would rather take a win in this game and go 2-10 vs losing this game and winning their division.

I love the brawl more than anyone but i dont like saying it's yours or ours "super bowl". i mean it's a great great rivalry but it is an OOC game.. No WVU or PItt fan would rather take a win in this game and go 2-10 vs losing this game and winning their division.
Yes, sort of.

First, It’s not “the” rivalry of course, but the only rivalry we have for a couple years, and then maybe none forever.

Second, I feel we should be desperate to win, not because of the “rivalry”, but because Pitt actually has a chance, a small chance for sure, maybe infinitesimal, but possible, to make some national hay. If either of our QB can be just plain good, not even great, I think the other pieces are there, I really do.

But we can’t afford even one screw up such as the WMU game. We need to win and keep climbing, possibly reaching the showdown later in the season in Miami to mean everything.

But it will mean nothing if we lose coming right out of the gate, to let’s face it, not a very good WVU team, “rivalry” or no. And then lose the week after? The season may as well be over. Yeah I know, the ACC season. Know what? I don’t give a f*** about the ACC. But it really doesn’t matter if I do give a f***, because if we start 0-2 with two home losses to schools that aren’t exactly Ohio State and Alabama, it likely means we actually stink, we were a fraud. So, we won’t be running any table in the ACC anyway, because at least a couple teams are as good or better than Tenn and a whole lot of ‘en are better than WVU.

It's not like we don't see teams who throw the ball in the ACC. It is not a JT Daniels who scares me. It is those QB's who can also run the ball.
We’ve been really good against Dual threats. We’ve actually been awful against the less mobile but better drop back throwers (Rudolph, TVD, Trubisky, Leary, Jurkevic, Armstrong)

West Virginia is bitter that they never got in the ACC which is fine by me because we already got a West Virginia in the conference and they go by the name N.C. State.
Are their fans really that bad? Unfortunately that cause of ACC scheduling I haven’t really been able to meet them.

We’ve been really good against Dual threats. We’ve actually been awful against the less mobile but better drop back throwers (Rudolph, TVD, Trubisky, Leary, Jurkevic, Armstrong)
WVU, any team really, is best served by testing our corners right away just to see how finicky the refs will be about contact in the secondary. I’ll assume they’ll be a B12 crew, no? If they toss flags on us for heavy breathing in the secondary, AND conversely allow the WVU OL to hold our DL like Gorilla Tape and Flex Seal (thus impeding our pass rush) we could honestly be in some trouble.

Otherwise, we honestly should be ok. We SHOULD beat these guys.

Are their fans really that bad? Unfortunately that cause of ACC scheduling I haven’t really been able to meet them.
Not even close.

NCSU has a better place to tailgate than just about any other ACC school, so I'm sure there are plenty of drunk fans who are vocal to UNC fans.

They are NOTHING like WVU fans.

NC State fans are awesome. They couldn’t stop raving about the WVU hospitality a couple years back (and just like VT last year).

Can’t wait to reciprocate in Raleigh. Hurricane wiped out our return trip.

Not even close.

NCSU has a better place to tailgate than just about any other ACC school, so I'm sure there are plenty of drunk fans who are vocal to UNC fans.

They are NOTHING like WVU fans.
What are you talking about? It’s NOTHING like it was 20-30 years ago. Total 180. There were literally news articles written in VA about the positive experience that VT fans had in Morgantown last year.

This ain’t 2011. The pass out policy (pun intended) has been gone for 10 years.

You wouldn’t know because there hasn’t been a UVA/WVU game for you to attend. HA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT