ADVERTISEMENT

What are you looking for vs. Albany?

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
Now that it’s actually a game week it’s time to think about expectations/hopes for Saturday vs. Albany. Here’s my major hopes/thoughts:

1. Build a major first half lead and allow second team and beyond some game time action.
2. No injuries. Need a fully healthy line up moving forward.
3. I understand Albany isn’t the 70s Steelers, but I’ll be watching to see how the offensive line does working as a unit.
4. Hope to see Paris Ford get considerable time on D (not offense . . . Yet).
5. And last, no talk of “vanilla schemes” etc. This game shouldn’t be close. You play to win the game so coaching staff call plays to win the damn game comfortably.

Thoughts?

Now that it’s actually a game week it’s time to think about expectations/hopes for Saturday vs. Albany. Here’s my major hopes/thoughts:

1. Build a major first half lead and allow second team and beyond some game time action.
3. I understand Albany isn’t the 70s Steelers, but I’ll be watching to see how the offensive line does working as a unit.
5. And last, no talk of “vanilla schemes” etc. This game shouldn’t be close. You play to win the game so coaching staff call plays to win the damn game comfortably.

Thoughts?
1) Agreed
2) Agreed
3) Agreed
4) Let him play on both sides if he is good enough
5) Don’t care - just win. Everybody was freaking out after the Villanova home opener 2 years ago.

1. In short, Pitt's game plan on offense will be plain vanilla. He will show nothing to Penn State...

2. Now that the Freshman get four games before red shirting, you will see some freshman playing a few snaps.

3. Pitt wins 27-10

4. During and after the game, the same foul breathe, three legged jackals will be on the board, whining, complaining and trolling:

"It's going to be a long season"

"I've revised my win total to 3 wins this year"

"PSU will destroy us next week!"

"Watson is pathetic!"

"Fire Narduzzi!"

"The play calling is pitiful!"

You get the picture....

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw very little of Ford during the game. Against PSU, Ford will play a big role on the offense... Watch...

Game over by halftime & get a bunch of guys experience in the 2nd half. Especially the back up QB and the young backups on OL. And stay healthy.

I want Nard and his staff to whipe thier buttocks with Albany jerseys after the game. I want a pure old school a-whooping on those Danes. I want Holley and Bynham to look at Gatusso and tell him "we told you it was a bad idea coming here." I want the 3 rivers to split and touchdown Jesus to cry the whole way in South bend how beautiful of a shlacking we hand out. I want Hall stats to read 1-100 yards and a TD then bench him. But most of all of all things. Please lord no white pants.

Reactions: Swervin27
I want Nard and his staff to whipe thier buttocks with Albany jerseys after the game. I want a pure old school a-whooping on those Danes. I want Holley and Bynham to look at Gatusso and tell him "we told you it was a bad idea coming here." I want the 3 rivers to split and touchdown Jesus to cry the whole way in South bend how beautiful of a shlacking we hand out. I want Hall stats to read 1-100 yards and a TD then bench him. But most of all of all things. Please lord no white pants.
We're capable of dumb things but not even we could start a possession on the 0. Could we? Hmmm....

Reactions: Jsr862
Pregame ceremony honoring Walt Harris followed by Watson coming out running the spread while making all the calls from the sidelines....

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Why are you expecting things this coaching staff won't do? Your first 4 are fine and can happen. But, #5 won't be correct. I expect a heavy emphasis on the running game and a limited basic passing attack only sufficient to prevent Albany from stacking the box.

But then...week two...UPS coaching staff stares in disbelief...and mutters..."Who is this Ford guy...where did he come from?
We had no clue he was on the Pitt team. Boy, they sure pulled the wool over our eyes vis a vis last week's game!"

We're capable of dumb things but not even we could start a possession on the 0. Could we? Hmmm....

Well I have been to a game that had 5 fumbles in under what 8 mins of gameplay, and 2 games with us fumbling running into the end zone so if any team can find a way to start at the 0 yard line it would be Pitt lol

1.) The offense line needs to push the Albany DL all over the field. It needs to look like Varsity tossing around JV.

2.) I want to see somebody step up and take the PT away from Motley and Briggs. PSU will attack and abuse those 2.

3.) I want to see Pitt struggle. I’d prefer they not get over inflated egos by beating up on Albany and not preparing and having the right mindset for a real opponent.

4.) I’d be wary of burning 1 of the 4 freshmen games in week 1. Injuries may force you to use them at the end of the year.

5.) Crowd size.

#1,2,& 3... Defense is completely dominate against the run and gets QB press on 3rd and long.
#4... I'd like us to run it down their throats with 4 running backs including salahuddin (please see 2014 vs Delaware)
#5...All Qb's play (yes patti)
#6...Team looks organized, knows assignments, and play fast. To much "chicken with heads cut off" last year guys all over the place.

Agree with these statements. I want a Delaware 62-0 type game

So would I, but I doubt it will happen unless we can run the ball down their throats. Pitt will show nothing, Next week, anything goes... fake punt, reverse on the kick off, halfback option, wildcat, jet sweeps with Big George,

What are you looking for vs. Albany?

-A map showing where Albany is located including local customs and language
-I hope men's room trough stalker feels enlightened and has moved to the ladies room.(Trough:a long, narrow open container for animals to eat or drink out of).
-Gov Cuomo brings his gay lover to the game hoping noone will notice
-a rare Blue Bird spotting
-the beginning of Turkey Vulture migration North to get away from Winter

Last edited:
Reactions: President Stache
Why are you expecting things this coaching staff won't do? Your first 4 are fine and can happen. But, #5 won't be correct. I expect a heavy emphasis on the running game and a limited basic passing attack only sufficient to prevent Albany from stacking the box.
The reason I mentioned the vanilla scheme quote in my OP is because it almost cost Pitt the game against YSU last year! I just want to see a comfortable win, and if it’s close and they need to show more offensive/defensive schemes then they’d like, then so be it.

1. In short, Pitt's game plan on offense will be plain vanilla. He will show nothing to Penn State...

2. Now that the Freshman get four games before red shirting, you will see some freshman playing a few snaps.

3. Pitt wins 27-10

4. During and after the game, the same foul breathe, three legged jackals will be on the board, whining, complaining and trolling:

"It's going to be a long season"

"I've revised my win total to 3 wins this year"

"PSU will destroy us next week!"

"Watson is pathetic!"

"Fire Narduzzi!"

"The play calling is pitiful!"

You get the picture....
How about this: Pitt blows out a sub-division school, like they should.

If most predictors are right, we aren't that tremendously much better than Albany. Better yes, but not 62-0 better. It's fair to expect a win, I don't feel like it's 'insulting' them saying that or acting 'cocky'... we are supposed to be better. But expect something more than 31-21 rather than 62-0.

If most predictors are right, we aren't that tremendously much better than Albany. Better yes, but not 62-0 better. It's fair to expect a win, I don't feel like it's 'insulting' them saying that or acting 'cocky'... we are supposed to be better. But expect something more than 31-21 rather than 62-0.

If the Pitt defense is as improved as it is supposed to be then there is no way that Albany should be able to score 3 touchdowns. On the other hand if Pitt plays Vanilla offense as expected they might not score 31 points. I guess I am expecting a score something more like 24-10.

Thoughts?
Cupcake city blowout

The reason I mentioned the vanilla scheme quote in my OP is because it almost cost Pitt the game against YSU last year! I just want to see a comfortable win, and if it’s close and they need to show more offensive/defensive schemes then they’d like, then so be it.

Vanilla is fine but it’s not like the world forgot who Pitt is and what they run. It wouldn’t be a crime to make Franklin worry because he saw a balanced, capable team.

Saturday ‘s going to be a beautiful 85 degree partly sunny day in Pittsburgh with thousands of Panther faithful enjoying a special start to a magical season. Our Panthers will show poise and confidence in a dominating performance that will involve 1st, 2nd and 3rd team players. Kenny Pickett will show that he is the “real deal” and will execute the offense with perfection. The defense will completely dominate an inferior team and will show their depth with multiple players making significant plays. HCPN will not show his hand on offense but will allow his team to get quality time executing their base offense and will be able to control the game with his base defense. Panther fans will enjoy an afternoon among friends and enjoy the start to what should be the best season Pitt has had in many years. I for one am looking forward being part of this afternoon of fun and sunshine at Heinz Field. Hope to see you there.

Pitt Leads 17-10 at halftime. Albany Defense forces 3 turnovers and Hanks runs all over the place leading to a Testaverde touchdown with under a minute to play in regulation leading to a UA win 34-27

Well that is my dream anyway. UA is much improved from last year, and will beat their 9th place prediction in the CAA, but won't be a match for a superior ACC team. It will be closer than many of you realize on the board, but unless you are James Madison, the CAA is just smaller, slower, and recruits from a smaller pond, not to mention less scholarships available.

Expect the final score to be somewhere in the range of 34-17 in favor of the Panthers. UA doesn't embarrass themselves, but is no match for the ACC (yet)

Reactions: pittmeister
Pitt Leads 17-10 at halftime. Albany Defense forces 3 turnovers and Hanks runs all over the place leading to a Testaverde touchdown with under a minute to play in regulation leading to a UA win 34-27

Well that is my dream anyway. UA is much improved from last year, and will beat their 9th place prediction in the CAA, but won't be a match for a superior ACC team. It will be closer than many of you realize on the board, but unless you are James Madison, the CAA is just smaller, slower, and recruits from a smaller pond, not to mention less scholarships available.

Expect the final score to be somewhere in the range of 34-17 in favor of the Panthers. UA doesn't embarrass themselves, but is no match for the ACC (yet)

Are you from Albany’s message board?

How about this: Pitt blows out a sub-division school, like they should.

I'm all for it and it could happen depending how well we run the ball and play defense. I think they will run the ball consistently, thus shortening the game. I think 27-10 is about right.

But I'll take 62-0...

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw very little of Ford during the game. Against PSU, Ford will play a big role on the offense... Watch...
Beyond stupid. Why would we have one of our key players in the secondary play (a position where he probably doesnt practice much) offense?

Ribs. Tasty Ribs. I'll hit three rib trucks before the game, 1/2 rack each. Hope to strike gold on at least 2 out of the 3.

Thoughts?
Pitt won't show PSU anything. You should expect bland football.

If the Pitt defense is as improved as it is supposed to be then there is no way that Albany should be able to score 3 touchdowns. On the other hand if Pitt plays Vanilla offense as expected they might not score 31 points. I guess I am expecting a score something more like 24-10.
You need to have bought in to the idea that the defense is indeed much improved. I haven't, yet. Opposing scores don't all come from offensive possessions either. Offense will have growing pains that often means turnovers and short fields. We have a new punter too, remember...

Ultimately the OL might start slowly but should find its footing and be able to push albany around enough, plus I'll count on them to give us a score or short field with their own mistakes. Should ultimately enable 4 TDs or 3 and a bunch of FG.

Welcome to the board. We’re generally not a welcoming bunch so don’t sweat being ignored.

Well, I don't know if I am 100% bought in on the defense being improved. That's why I said "If." However, similar to the optimism about Pickett based on the end of the VA Tech game and the entire Miami game, the defense did appear much improved in those two games vs earlier in the season. Based on that limited info, I think there is as much reason to be optimistic, or pessimistic if that is one's bent, about the defense as there is concerning a Pickett led offense.

Again, using the big "If"--If the D could hold Va Tech to 20 and Miami to 14 they shouldn't allow 21 by Albany. And, yes I know turnovers happen but I think this offense given its veteran backs and Pickett at QB (and not throwing much) should not have unforced turnovers or otherwise give Albany any short fields.

Reactions: ratking17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT