ADVERTISEMENT

What are you looking for vs. Albany?

Well, I don't know if I am 100% bought in on the defense being improved. That's why I said "If." However, similar to the optimism about Pickett based on the end of the VA Tech game and the entire Miami game, the defense did appear much improved in those two games vs earlier in the season. Based on that limited info, I think there is as much reason to be optimistic, or pessimistic if that is one's bent, about the defense as there is concerning a Pickett led offense.

Again, using the big "If"--If the D could hold Va Tech to 20 and Miami to 14 they shouldn't allow 21 by Albany. And, yes I know turnovers happen but I think this offense given its veteran backs and Pickett at QB (and not throwing much) should not have unforced turnovers or otherwise give Albany any short fields.
It's the 1st game of the season. No good team is at it's best in game 1. Nard will not show PSU anything...zero. Nothing. Zilch.
That means that you should expect a game between the hashmarks. Shorten any field, reduce the width of any field and the game gets tighter.
It's game 1, not Operation Overlord.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Are you from Albany’s message board?

Welcome to the board. We’re generally not a welcoming bunch so don’t sweat being ignored.

I saw these replies yesterday, but since I am a newly joined "free" member, I can apparently only reply once a day. I'm not cheap, but didn't think it was worth paying for a membership just to be able to reply for one game.

Yes I am from the UA message board. It can be found at: http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/

UA is a decent sized public school, but is still relatively new at D1. It takes a long time to move up and be successful. Especially in a sport like football. UA won the America East in Basketball 5 times in the last 12 years resulting in trips to March Madness, but the America East is still a low/mid-Major conference. The most success has come in Lacrosse where the school spend much of the year last season ranked #1 in the country, but lost to the eventual national champ in the final 4.

The CAA is probably the top FCS conference, and it was a difficult step for UA to take coming from the NEC, but it's still FCS. Eventually a move to a FBS conference will happen for UA, but it will be at least a decade before there is real success.

We look at this game as a chance to test skills against a big conference opponent, test our team against bigger, faster, and more skilled opponents. Give them a chance to improve for the FCS games and conference schedule. We don't expect a win, but we want to see what the team has and can hopefully be competitive for a half or 3 quarters before the depth of an ACC team wears the team out. We know you will be vanilla to not tip the playbook to Penn St. So that might give us a little hope to keep it close.

Watch the Running Back Hanks. He was an FCS all-american 2 years ago before an injury kept him out all of last season with the exception of a few snaps. He could play and maybe star in the ACC if healthy.

Good luck and enjoy the game. I was just here to see what your posters were saying about our team, and get a feel for what your board was like. I hope for a major UA upset, but in reality I am just hoping for a fun game to watch that isn't a 62-0 blowout. LOL.

Reactions: pittdan77
I think as usual, most people on here will be sorely disappointed.

Now, I may be wrong, but the game will be closer for these reasons:

-Albany has a 'good' defense. They return most from last year, they should be solid, good tackling.

-Gattuso will shorten the game with running, play action, screens, keep the clock running, stay in the game

-We will be vanilla as usual. I dislike this, but we will. Even if we arent, it is the first game, so there will be rust.

-Oline will have to gel

-Turnovers may be low to Albany's ball control game.

We should do but wont:

-Play Ford on offense. I dont want a first year player making his 'debut' at this against ped state. Sounds like a fumble waiting to happen.

-Experiment on pr and kr. Put in Ford, or whoever else, give them a try. We know Arujo-Lopes is our safe guy. Catch the ball, limited yards... fine. Against Albany, let some of the other guys go.

-As others said, play lots of freshmen. I dont think this will happen, hope I am wrong

-Be AGGRESSIVE, get a lead. Then get whoever is QB #2 into the game. Be aggressive in the first half, then take the air out of the ball in second half. Again, probably we wont, and that will lead to a closer game.

Im usually positive, so sorry for the negativity, but it happens every year, so I am not expecting different results. Maybe 34-17 final?

I saw these replies yesterday, but since I am a newly joined "free" member, I can apparently only reply once a day. I'm not cheap, but didn't think it was worth paying for a membership just to be able to reply for one game.

Yes I am from the UA message board. It can be found at: http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/

UA is a decent sized public school, but is still relatively new at D1. It takes a long time to move up and be successful. Especially in a sport like football. UA won the America East in Basketball 5 times in the last 12 years resulting in trips to March Madness, but the America East is still a low/mid-Major conference. The most success has come in Lacrosse where the school spend much of the year last season ranked #1 in the country, but lost to the eventual national champ in the final 4.

The CAA is probably the top FCS conference, and it was a difficult step for UA to take coming from the NEC, but it's still FCS. Eventually a move to a FBS conference will happen for UA, but it will be at least a decade before there is real success.

We look at this game as a chance to test skills against a big conference opponent, test our team against bigger, faster, and more skilled opponents. Give them a chance to improve for the FCS games and conference schedule. We don't expect a win, but we want to see what the team has and can hopefully be competitive for a half or 3 quarters before the depth of an ACC team wears the team out. We know you will be vanilla to not tip the playbook to Penn St. So that might give us a little hope to keep it close.

Watch the Running Back Hanks. He was an FCS all-american 2 years ago before an injury kept him out all of last season with the exception of a few snaps. He could play and maybe star in the ACC if healthy.

Good luck and enjoy the game. I was just here to see what your posters were saying about our team, and get a feel for what your board was like. I hope for a major UA upset, but in reality I am just hoping for a fun game to watch that isn't a 62-0 blowout. LOL.

I checked out your board. Your fan base has a pretty good read on Pitt fans on this board. I know nothing about your football team but I appreciate the update.

I have been to Albany a few times since I deal directly with the state. A friend of mine played some arena ball up there, too. Lombardo's is a favorite.

Albany sucks. Averaged 273 yards per game and 17 points per game last year.

I dont care how Vanilla Pitt offense is. This team stinks and if our defense cant shut them down, forget about the rest of the season.

The only thing to take away from this game if anything is how dominant the defense is. If we give up more then 20 points, we have major problems.

I dont care how Vanilla Pitt offense is. This team stinks and if our defense cant shut them down, forget about the rest of the season.

The only thing to take away from this game if anything is how dominant the defense is. If we give up more then 20 points, we have major problems.

They have their top running back back that missed last year.

But in general, yeah... kinda right. Also its the first game of the year, I am sure there will be a few mistakes in filling gaps, coverages, and that kinda thing.

Maybe you know something I don't, but I can't envision the SUNY system committing those sorts of resources.

SUNY Buffalo was the first SUNY School to go D1, and they went FBS for football already. Not the big time yet, but the value is known. I can't even fathom a guess on when it will happen or when the money would be available, but it is on the roadmap for the future.

This is the attitude that UA fans want to see. It screams of overlooking an opponent that could surprise you. Yes Albany sucks compared to Pitt or any ACC school when it comes to football strength, but this is a team that you can not judge even in the slightest based last years results. UA had an All-American running back miss the entire season, and it had a boring offensive scheme run by a former defensive coordinator that had no clue what he was doing. The team has a new OC, along with a new QB in Testaverde.

ESPN gives UA about a 3% chance at winning the game, I think it is under 1%, but much stranger things have happened. Especially when it is a team trying to stay vanilla playing against a team that is hungry with an entirely new offensive scheme, a new QB, and the return of a top RB.

Just remember what happened the last time a Testaverde played at Pitt...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT