ADVERTISEMENT

What did you think on the third foul

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
called on Carr?

Officiating is not horrible by any stretch, but I have us at -4 points. We need to be on the plus side.

They starting calling Pitt much more tightly in the last 5 minutes which really helped Miami

called on Carr?

Officiating is not horrible by any stretch, but I have us at -4 points. We need to be on the plus side.
The basket where Miami took the first lead, a moving pick cleared the lane for the Miami scorer. At least it looked obvious from afar.

Officiating not bad though. Miami defense has made it tough for us to get any kind of rhythm on offense. That's the difference.

called on Carr?

Block charge can go either way. Poor decision for Carr to put himself in that position.

Block charge can go either way. Poor decision for Carr to put himself in that position.
Maybe I am not remembering the play properly. My impression: not much of anything happening, Carr moving laterally, minor collision with minimal contact?

Maybe I am not remembering the play properly. My impression: not much of anything happening, Carr moving laterally, minor collision with minimal contact?
Carr drove into him and lowered his shouder and knocked the defender down.

I guess that wasn't a charge before that made three?

Like they really needed it.

The call was missed by the Afro-American ref

That call was comically bad, the defenders feet weren't even close to set. Carr was in fact going fast which apparently is the only criteria for the block/charge now. As long as the ball handler is moving fast it's a guaranteed charge whether your feet are planted or not. Just an atrocious call

He did drive into him but in any scenario where you're moving quickly you're naturally going to lower your shoulder somewhat. If you get a chance to see the replay watch the defenders feet, he's not at all close to having them set and in legal charge position

That call was comically bad, the defenders feet weren't even close to set. Carr was in fact going fast which apparently is the only criteria for the block/charge now. As long as the ball handler is moving fast it's a guaranteed charge whether your feet are planted or not. Just an atrocious call
Thank You

He did drive into him but in any scenario where you're moving quickly you're naturally going to lower your shoulder somewhat. If you get a chance to see the replay watch the defenders feet, he's not at all close to having them set and in legal charge position
It's not necessarily about having your feet set, but also about establishing position.

I thought the call could have gone either way.

Reactions: TreesHero
I guess that wasn't a charge before that made three?

Like they really needed it.

The call was missed by the Afro-American ref

FWIW, all three of the gentlemen who officiate the game today -- Les Jones, Jeff Anderson and Bert Smith -- are all African American. Les Jones was the head referee and is the eldest of the three and I believe he was the ref who called the third foul on Marcus.

That call was comically bad, the defenders feet weren't even close to set.

That is NOT the criteria for drawing a charge. There is nothing in the rules that says for it to be a charge the defender has to have his feet set. That is a common misconception that many people have.

Having said that, I thought it was a bad call too.

Stevenson did take a nice charge that they no called that they got the 3 on.

And that non-call was even worse.

If they didn't think that was a charge then they had to call a block. Had to. There is no way there can be that much contact, good, hard, solid contact, without something being called.

That is NOT the criteria for drawing a charge. There is nothing in the rules that says for it to be a charge the defender has to have his feet set. That is a common misconception that many people have.

If that's true then I stand corrected, I was under the impression that was the case but obviously I've never physically seen the rule book

Thank You

FWIW, all three of the gentlemen who officiate the game today -- Les Jones, Jeff Anderson and Bert Smith -- are all African American. Les Jones was the head referee and is the eldest of the three and I believe he was the ref who called the third foul on Marcus.
I noticed that was the case. We never seem to get the Irish guys.

If they didn't think that was a charge then they had to call a block. Had to. There is no way there can be that much contact, good, hard, solid contact, without something being called.
Thank you again.

Can I ask you a question about the Towson game? (If you remember)

It seemed to me that there were at least 3 and probably 4 very similar calls and all within 5 to 7 minutes of each other. Towson was on offense, there was contact between a Pitt player and a Towson player - no foul was called - in each instance the Towson player then appeared to immediately travel with nothing being called. I know we won the game and it is really not important (but I like to know that I am seeing what I think I am seeing)

Did you notice any of that? Thanks

The defender did not establish position. He was moving to his right, into the path of Carr.

I did see that movement to the right but thought Marcus may have started his drive into him before that movement. Marcus also seemed a bit out of control.

But like I said, that's the kind of call that can go either way. The moment it happened, me and the friend I was sitting next to both said "charge." So we weren't surprised. When we watched the replay, we hedged a bit.

Still, the biggest problem there is that Marcus can't put himself into that situation when he has two fouls.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Looking directly at the play from 3 rows back. Feet weren't set nor was the defender in position. Looked like a bad call live and on the replay.

It's not necessarily about having your feet set, but also about establishing position.

I thought the call could have gone either way.

Reactions: gary2
called on Carr?

It was a bad call and basically eliminated any chance we had of winning. While Carr did not have a great game, we had us running nice offense for the majority of the first half. We only shot 3 threes through most of first half due to his floor game. Once he picked up his 3rd, Miami went on the run right before the half. That was aided by 2 bad Milligan TO's and way too much dribbling by Milligan on the plays where he didn't turn it over.

Reactions: gary2
That call on Carr was absolutely horrid. On top of that I thought Miami got away with a lot of little things, I even think they missed a few travels and double dribbles. Other than the Carr travesty I don't think it was even as bad as most college hoops games though, really it was probably about how they used to call big east games. Pitt's abysmal shooting on the other hand....

I did see that movement to the right but thought Marcus may have started his drive into him before that movement. Marcus also seemed a bit out of control.

But like I said, that's the kind of call that can go either way. The moment it happened, me and the friend I was sitting next to both said "charge." So we weren't surprised. When we watched the replay, we hedged a bit.

Still, the biggest problem there is that Marcus can't put himself into that situation when he has two fouls.
Agreed. He can’t even take the chance of the call going vs him. He is young. Hopefully, a good lesson going forward.

It was a bad call and basically eliminated any chance we had of winning. While Carr did not have a great game, we had us running nice offense for the majority of the first half. We only shot 3 threes through most of first half due to his floor game. Once he picked up his 3rd, Miami went on the run right before the half. That was aided by 2 bad Milligan TO's and way too much dribbling by Milligan on the plays where he didn't turn it over.
Agree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT