ADVERTISEMENT

What Do You Get For $35M

vantheman1976

Redshirt
Apr 2, 2005
Well let's see. You get Pat Narduzzi for 9 years. You get 63 wins and 42 losses. You give him $555K for each of those 63 wins. You get a 60% winning percentage......or about 7 wins/season. You get 2 bowl wins and 4 bowl losses. You get 1 ACC conference championship. You get 2 top 25 finishes. You also get some pretty jaw dropping press conferences.....and one of the craziest quotes you'll ever hear from a coach.....We're in boo city. Boo city, PA. Don't you think the other P5 schools can't wait to coax him away from Pitt. He's quite the prize.....and he's laughing all the way to the bank. The $35M is my guess of approximately what he has pocketed since coming here. It's probably on the low side.

Well let's see. You get Pat Narduzzi for 9 years. You get 63 wins and 42 losses. You give him $555K for each of those 63 wins. You get a 60% winning percentage......or about 7 wins/season. You get 2 bowl wins and 4 bowl losses. You get 1 ACC conference championship. You get 2 top 25 finishes. You also get some pretty jaw dropping press conferences.....and one of the craziest quotes you'll ever hear from a coach.....We're in boo city. Boo city, PA. Don't you think the other P5 schools can't wait to coax him away from Pitt. He's quite the prize.....and he's laughing all the way to the bank. The $35M is my guess of approximately what he has pocketed since coming here. It's probably on the low side.

Looks like bargain when you compare his results/pay verses most other coaches.

Is he a BOO-by prize?

And what about the ACC champ? The only acc coach to win one for a school other than FSU and Clemson in recent years. We were spoiled. He took a bunch of below average recruits and strung together a great run. But we are seeing the results of continued mediocre recruiting. More times than not these classes will get us 7-8 wins rather than 10 plus. We don’t need a new coach. Are recruits going to pass up NIL? What young coach really wants pressure of taking over for the only guy that has actually won something in the last 30 years and still wasn’t good enough. We need resources to compete for recruits. It’s frustrating he is stubborn with the QB so far, but he is here at least one more year unless he bolts.

Get back to bed, grampy.

Unless someone writes a really big check to the 412 Alliance so Pitt can compete with the deep pocket schools for the athletes that are truly difference makers , I can’t see how much changes with another new coach . Maybe Pitt wins a game here or there that PN and company lose , and to be honest I’m not a PN fan , but Pitt simply doesn’t have the resources or the will be a major player in college Fb .

Colorado hired Prime , could you see Pitt doing this ?

After abiding by his suspension ( or whatever you want to call it ) could you see any school that really wants to win kicking an athlete like Dior out ?

When the super conferences are formed Pitt will be on the outside looking in and then the money will really dry up . Paying for the facilities that are being built for the VB teams etc will really be a financial burden . The eggheads just don’t get how much money they’re throwing away in the future by not going all in to win in the only sport that matters for the bottom line .

On the other hand, Pat Narduzzi has given the football program something that it has so badly needed...stability. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, but the man cares about his team, his players and his coaches. The reality of it is (and I hate to admit it) the Pitt football program is not one of the country's top football programs. It is not one of the blue bloods and unfortunately, it probably never will be with Heather Lyke as the AD.
There is only so much that a coach can do to attract top recruits to his program and the Pitt football program has an uphill battle each year. Starting with the lack of an on-campus stadium, the constant whining about the ACC being an inferior conference and the poor fan attendance at most games, you aren't going to get top recruits or coaches to come here.
So, in regards to your post. your numbers may be accurate, but what they do show is a man that has done a pretty good job here at Pitt. Don't like the "Boo City" comment all that much and the asinine commitment to cignetti and jurkovec this year is bothersome, but all in all, I'll take Pat Narduzzi over most college football coaches and thank him for his effort so far.

Reactions: Clarion86
I'd love to see the data to support that
Well, he averages 8 wins per season- for his 8 seasons here (7.874 to be exact) in which we came in first 2 times in our division and one championship

James Franklin makes 9.25 million per year, for that UPS has averaged 8 wins per season and only one one conference championship. Also has ridiculous press conferences and negative press.

Just in state, heck of a bargain.

Yep. Oline when he got here was great. Chryst recruited hall, ollison, and Connor
The opposite was true of Chryst's defensive recruiting. Horrible.

And Chryst never brought in a QB worth a $hit. As an OC and QB coach with Russell Wilson on his resume, that was inexcusable.

Duzz's claim to fame is he has been 1 game better, on average than Paul Chryst.

While at Pitt, Chryst played the easiest slate of games over the last few decades and still was a .500 coach.

I know this is likely to confuse your feeble mind but who you play matters.

While at Pitt, Chryst played the easiest slate of games over the last few decades and still was a .500 coach.

I know this is likely to confuse your feeble mind but who you play matters.

I agree. People wanted to erect a statue because he inherited a 6-6 program and maintained a 6-6 program. His first year, he played 2 FCS teams (lost 1 of them) and Temple replaced WVU in the Big East. That was the weakest schedule in Pitt history. The next 2 years, the schedules werent any more difficult than the average Narduzzi season.

I dont think Chryst is a good coach. Narduzzi is better. Not a whole lot better but better. He's a 7-5 dude with 1 lucky season. Chryst is a 6-6 guy

Well, he averages 8 wins per season- for his 8 seasons here (7.874 to be exact) in which we came in first 2 times in our division and one championship

James Franklin makes 9.25 million per year, for that UPS has averaged 8 wins per season and only one one conference championship. Also has ridiculous press conferences and negative press.

I like the Franklin example.....well done. I won't argue with you about that.

Reactions: President Stache
On the other hand, Pat Narduzzi has given the football program something that it has so badly needed...stability. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, but the man cares about his team, his players and his coaches. The reality of it is (and I hate to admit it) the Pitt football program is not one of the country's top football programs. It is not one of the blue bloods and unfortunately, it probably never will be with Heather Lyke as the AD.
There is only so much that a coach can do to attract top recruits to his program and the Pitt football program has an uphill battle each year. Starting with the lack of an on-campus stadium, the constant whining about the ACC being an inferior conference and the poor fan attendance at most games, you aren't going to get top recruits or coaches to come here.
So, in regards to your post. your numbers may be accurate, but what they do show is a man that has done a pretty good job here at Pitt. Don't like the "Boo City" comment all that much and the asinine commitment to cignetti and jurkovec this year is bothersome, but all in all, I'll take Pat Narduzzi over most college football coaches and thank him for his effort so far.
Thoughtful comments.....thanks. Sadly....I see Narduzzi as a continuation of what started 40 years ago with Fazio....namely a lot of mediocre football with a year of good stuff every once in awhile. As an old guy and lifelong Pitt fan....I've never recovered from the 1984 Fiesta Bowl loss to OSU after the '83 season. I recall thinking at the end of that game....well, looks we just watched the end of superiority with Pitt football. I thought it would never end. It did.

Thoughtful comments.....thanks. Sadly....I see Narduzzi as a continuation of what started 40 years ago with Fazio....namely a lot of mediocre football with a year of good stuff every once in awhile. As an old guy and lifelong Pitt fan....I've never recovered from the 1984 Fiesta Bowl loss to OSU after the '83 season. I recall thinking at the end of that game....well, looks we just watched the end of superiority with Pitt football. I thought it would never end. It did.

Can't help that you got to see the best 6 year stretch in Pitt history, which is the exception for a program with the cards stacked against it for multiple reasons, and expect it to be the "norm" forever. That's on you for not being realistic.

Great post, and pretty accurate as to what we can expect from Pat.

Can't help that you got to see the best 6 year stretch in Pitt history, which is the exception for a program with the cards stacked against it for multiple reasons, and expect it to be the "norm" forever. That's on you for not being realistic.
"Which is the exception for a program with the cards stacked against it for multiple reasons".....what in the hell are you talking about? There was and continues to be only one reason.....Pitt leadership didn't care about sustaining excellence with their football program. It's been that way for 40 years period. Don't hand me this crap that 1973 - 1982 was some anomaly. Are you even aware of how bad Pitt football was at Pitt before Majors was hired? They decided in 1973 to fix it....they did....then flushed it back down the toilet 40 years ago.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
"Which is the exception for a program with the cards stacked against it for multiple reasons".....what in the hell are you talking about? There was and continues to be only one reason.....Pitt leadership didn't care about sustaining excellence with their football program. It's been that way for 40 years period. Don't hand me this crap that 1973 - 1982 was some anomaly. Are you even aware of how bad Pitt football was at Pitt before Majors was hired? They decided in 1973 to fix it....they did....then flushed it back down the toilet 40 years ago.
Ok

Pitt does a fair amount of stacking the cards against itself as well. Let’s be 100% honest, Pitt de-prioritized football in the late 90’s early 2000’s. This was dumb for multiple reasons, and really set the stage for Pitt to be an athletic department with no identity. I mean, God only knows where the football program would be if Michael Haywood didn’t beat up his wife. He was hired based on 1 good year at Miami OH, and was miserably poor once he got back into coaching. Add to that, once the basketball program took a nosedive when Stallings came aboard, Pitt athletics became completely irrelevant. You can blame roadblocks Pitt faces all you want. A lot of their warts are self inflicted.

Reactions: Jim Z

Huh? Frank has averaged 9 wins? He has four ten win seasons. You’re flat wrong

Well, 10 years, 81 wins. seemed like 8.

But.... ok.... one championship each, and the guy is a buffoon. So, we are getting a much better deal.
You’re counting this year as a full year? If you do that pat is averaging 6.88 wins a year, franklin 8.1.

I don’t think that’s a good way to do it., and is unbelievably intellectually dishonest

• Haha
Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Soccer is a terrible sport but their fans have it right in a couple ways. If ownership stinks, the fans don’t simply boo, they light the freaking stands on fire. Bob Nutting couldn’t get away with his sh1t in Argentina, baby. And when a coach or ref makes egregious errors, both are literally chased out of the stadium and beaten to pulps if caught. That’s a good motivator to be competent.

In the US, cities build palaces for crappy owners, they aren’t forced to be competitive like they should; the coaches have guaranteed contracts and are still paid like 3rd world dictator even when they horrifically suck (like Narduzzi with the Jurk decision); and refs are not even allowed to be mildly questioned. No wonder many tend to be terrible here.

Reactions: vantheman1976
Pitt does a fair amount of stacking the cards against itself as well. Let’s be 100% honest, Pitt de-prioritized football in the late 90’s early 2000’s. This was dumb for multiple reasons, and really set the stage for Pitt to be an athletic department with no identity. I mean, God only knows where the football program would be if Michael Haywood didn’t beat up his wife. He was hired based on 1 good year at Miami OH, and was miserably poor once he got back into coaching. Add to that, once the basketball program took a nosedive when Stallings came aboard, Pitt athletics became completely irrelevant. You can blame roadblocks Pitt faces all you want. A lot of their warts are self inflicted.
It was the early to mid 80s (and before that the 30s) that the most harmful scorched earth deephasizing occurred, but otherwise it’s right on.

Boosters had the program among the top programs of the nation a couple different times in our history, but were given the toilet lid slam each time, because the dweebs, eggheads, flitters and flouncers got p1ssed by it.

That’s not exactly happening now, Pitt pays its HC adequately as some admin apologists pointed out; but basically it is still true; or more accurately, those success killing efforts of the 80s (that were mostly continued into these years) are bearing their most harsh impact just now, with the emergence of open pay for play.

Now, Pitt’s effete admin likely wouldn’t allow the degree of player acquisition that the top programs do; the optics would be too horrifying to the flowerbuds running the school. But it really doesn’t matter, because their predecessors chased off the benefactors with the really serious difference maker money, decades before.

We have a couple well-meaning nouveau riche younger dudes valiantly trying to raise the bar, but Pitt fiercely keeps them at arms length.

The bell will soon toll for all of us, the program, the fans, the non-rev sports that leech off football, when the serious programs separate from the chaff eventually (2030 give or take) and the big conference money is gone.

But it’s already having impact; we came off some moderately successful seasons but are finding it harder than ever to get meaningful prep recruits, and even the better skilled transfers, especially WR, won’t sniff at us. E we can mourn Jurkovec playing, but the bigger lament should be that he was our best option in the first place, two years after having a Heisman finalist QB.

Duzz's claim to fame is he has been 1 game better, on average than Paul Chryst.
This overlooks the inconvenient truth that Coach Mumbles was trending downward. Had he stayed longer into his internship, the stead flow of competing with MAC schools would have caught up with him big time. And what other body of evidence do you need than what he did at Wisky?

This overlooks the inconvenient truth that Coach Mumbles was trending downward. Had he stayed longer into his internship, the stead flow of competing with MAC schools would have caught up with him big time. And what other body of evidence do you need than what he did at Wisky?
What? Look at the offense and line he left pat?

Chryst was 67-26 at wisconsin. I’d kill for that

What? Look at the offense and line he left pat?

Chryst was 67-26 at wisconsin. I’d kill for that
So you would kill for this? Alrighty then. I mean, Joe Biden could coach a team to a winning record in the former Big 10 West.

"Among those schools which ended the year ranked in the final AP poll, Chryst is 11-18. During the season when playing a foe which is ranked, Wisconsin is 12-17 vs. top-25 teams including 5-9 against those in the top 10."

-- Bally Sports, Sept. 14, 2022

So you would kill for this? Alrighty then. I mean, Joe Biden could coach a team to a winning record in the former Big 10 West.

"Among those schools which ended the year ranked in the final AP poll, Chryst is 11-18. During the season when playing a foe which is ranked, Wisconsin is 12-17 vs. top-25 teams including 5-9 against those in the top 10."

I mean I’m pretty sure Narduzzi is like 4-14 vs ooc p5 teams so……

And the ACC coastal rally isn’t better

If you look at any strength of schedule rankings, I guarantee you Wisconsins was rated more difficult than ours every year he was at Wisconsin. I have no love for Chryst, but mocking him for winning in the Big 10 west while we were playing in the Coastal is a bad argument. While he was playing OSU in a crossover game we were probably playing Boston College.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT