ADVERTISEMENT

What happen regarding PITT football 20 years ago tonight.....................

Any many of us who were there celebrating, still have doubts about the decision.

I hate(ed) the concept but in hindsight, something needed done. More importantly did it change anything or would anything really be different had they found a way to keep Pitt Football on campus?

Reactions: FatDave
PITT defeated ND 37-27 in the final game at PITT Stadium.

Any many of us who were there celebrating, still have doubts about the decision.
Let’s play the hypothetical game had they stayed. Who was going to pay for all the facilities they currently have on the South Side, and who was going to pay for the renovations to Pitt Stadium?

Howland and Dixon do not come to Pitt without the Pete. We continue to be mediocre in basketball, so those glory years from 2001-2011 don’t happen.

We are probably in the AAC right now with Temple.

Reactions: Parkview57
Slipped on mustard as I was preparing to jump onto the field. Got my ticket signed by Antonio Bryant. Funny watching fans try to pull up the turf and the announcers getting mad cause we had the bowl game to practice for.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
I remember people trying to rip the benches out after the game.

Only crazier Pitt Stadium memory for me was the goalposts being carried up into the stands after the Miami win in 97. I really thought they were going to be dumped over the edge onto DeSoto. I think I am remembering that correctly?

Slipped on mustard as I was preparing to jump onto the field. Got my ticket signed by Antonio Bryant. Funny watching fans try to pull up the turf and the announcers getting mad cause we had the bowl game to practice for.

We still had a game with the Hoopies in Morganhole two weeks later. If we won that I think I remember then we were at six wins. We didn’t because we got slaughtered.

The next year playing at Three Rivers was a good season. We beat PSU, Boston College and West Virginia. Barlow has some great rushing stats that year. Actually Barlow would have broken Tony Dorsetts single game rushing record but Walt pulled him late in the 4th quarter against the hoopies

I remember people trying to rip the benches out after the game.

Only crazier Pitt Stadium memory for me was the goalposts being carried up into the stands after the Miami win in 97. I really thought they were going to be dumped over the edge onto DeSoto. I think I am remembering that correctly?

You did remember that correctly! I the idea was to throw it over the north side of the stadium. It would have ended up around terrace and desoto if it weren’t for the men in blue.

The Police horses were all losing there bowels on the field as the fans rushed on.

Have the poster in my garage....Can see my death on visitors sidelines.....fun game.... Look at it daily. It was a Day game, FYI.

I remember there was a game after. Than it was year after or year before, Memphis bowl game right?

Yes, unfortunately the backyard brawl was next. Needed a win to finish 6-5 but the mountaineers blew Pitt out that day. I guess it was kind of hard to be up for another big game after all the emotion of the ND game. Plus I remember Kevin Barlow's uncle was killed in that Turkey bowl shooting so I don't think he played against WVU.

You did remember that correctly! I the idea was to throw it over the north side of the stadium. It would have ended up around terrace and desoto if it weren’t for the men in blue.

The Police horses were all losing there bowels on the field as the fans rushed on.

Good memories, was a freshman that year. Fun time to be at Pitt. Right before the university started really improving/expanding facilities. Oakland was pretty dumpy back then and I liked it.

Last edited:
The time to upgrade Pitt Stadium was 15 years earlier. Pitt's eastern rivals had either moved into new facilities or upgraded for basketball and football. West Virginia and Syracuse in particular. Instead the feckless administration allowed Pitt to be passed by. What recruits were going to compare WVU's digs to Pitt's and not be impressed by what was in Morgantown? I loved Pitt Stadium -- its magnificent facade, its sight lines and its shabby chic. Maybe it could have been saved and integrated with a new arena as BC did. But it came down to foresight and money. And Pitt was lacking both. In truth Pitt was lucky to end up with the Pete and Heinz Field.

Reactions: chirurgo
Good memories, was a freshman that year. Fun time to be at Pitt. Right before the university started really improving/expanding facilities. Oakland was pretty dumpy back then and I liked it.

I still have the commemorative t-shirt from Peter’s Pub. Oakland has changed dramatically, out of necessity. I don’t think the school would be as attractive to today’s high school students if they hadn’t made the campus improvements with housing and building additions/renovations.

This administration is way more progressive than any I have seen.

Fun times. I spent many, many years sitting in Pitt stadium, started going to games in 1969, and enjoyed many great memories there. Loved it. But, to be perfectly honest, by today's standards it is a dump. You couldn't get in an out of there.....at least at Heinz the Parkway drops you right off at the gate. Sitting in Oakland for a couple of hours is a memory I can not relive and be happy. Still would like an on campus stadium, but there are a LOT of issues in making it work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT