ADVERTISEMENT

What If I Told You On August 1...

May 9, 2008
- Pickett would throw for nearly 300 yards per game, with 60% completions, and only 2 turnovers in 3 games?
- Defense would lose Weaver and Camp and still be ranked in the top 40 after 3 games?
- Defense would hold PSU to 17?

Would you be happy with that?

Let's face it. Most of us predicted a 1-2 record in the first 3. It was a tough schedule with a coin-flip game against the pre-season Coastal Champs and a tough game against a very talented and dangerous Penn State team. We had chances to win both of those, and almost did at PSU (I got married on 8/31 and missed the UVA game so I have no idea if it was closer than indicated). I was pissed and walked out of the room when the FG unit came on on Saturday and was ready to lash out at Narduzzi on Twitter.

But, record aside and with two nights of sleep, isn't this team a little better than what we expected? Did ANYONE here expect Kenny to throw for 300 per game against two very good defenses? Did ANYONE think this defensive performance was possible after losing our two best defensive linemen? Did ANYONE think it was possible to hold PSU to 17 (including a moon-shot 58 yard FG)?

Let's keep it in perspective. The realists among us predicted 1-2. But a team can be 1-2 in a lot of different ways. We've been right there in both losses and are outperforming expectations in QB and defensive play. If this line were to start run blocking, this team is dangerous.

We started 2-3 last year. Most of us - me included - thought the sky was falling. But the team rallied and went on a run. Flawed as it was, it was fun as hell most of the time. I for one think they can do it again.

I'm in for the ride. Hail to Pitt.

Kenny can be a very goo d QB. However, him missing some very wide open receivers was terrible and maybe have cost Pitt a win. And his number would be even better. Maybe he continues to settle in because he has the tools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT