ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best non-Pitt sporting event you ever attended in person?

PittMan 72

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2001
Imagine there'll be a lot of replies about Super Bowls, Stanley Cup games, even World Series games for those "older" Pirate fans (LOL!!!).

I've attended several Stanley Cup games. Even a few final series games that the Pens participated in. But of course never a Cup clincher. The closest to an out-of-town Cup winning celebration we had was when my wife and I happened to be in NYC when the Pens won game 7 in Detroit. We watched in our hotel room about 15 floors up in the Marriott Marquis overlooking Times Square. Then went out and celebrated until the wee hours bar hopping in Manhattan. Actually ran into some other Pens' fans!

But in person, the best non-Pitt FB or BB experience for me was definitely the Masters. We got to go for actual tournament rounds 3 years in a row: 2008, 2009 and 2010. In 2010 we got to see in person Phil hit his famous 2nd out of the pine straw on 13 to set up his eagle 3 on Saturday. We had been sitting in the stands at 12 when Phil came through and just through luck decided to walk over under the pines and follow him down 13.

But if a person ever gets the chance (not easy I know) and has any interest or affection for golf, the Masters is just fabulous. The venue. The ambiance. The people. Even the food (the egg salad and pimento cheese sandwiches on real fresh bread were excellent). I had watched the tournament on tv since I was a kid and lots of things - sights and sounds - were burned into my memory. Especially on the back 9 since that's all that was ever allowed to be televised for many years. Getting to see those same sights and hear those same sounds in person was really a fantastic experience. Sat right next to people like Annika Sorenstam and Cards SS Ozzie Smith in the stands at Amen Corner. Pretty cool.

The Masters would have been this coming week this year had it been able to be played as scheduled. So the recollections came flooding back.

So what was your favorite non-Pitt sporting event that you attended in person?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News