ADVERTISEMENT

What is your All-Jamie Dixon Era team?

Ummm........they were a layup away. If anyone remembers, Jermaine Dixon was 1-6 from the field. I know Ashton was on that team, but I am talking the Jr/Sr Ashton. The one thing that team lacked was outside shooting.

As I recall, freshman Gibbs shot 0-for-4 in that 2009 Villanova game. But sure, if I could substitute junior-year Gibbs for junior-year Dixon, I think I'd have to.

Didn't Jaron only play under Ben?? Did he finish with Brandin?? If so....you need a new PG.....hint: retired jersey.
You are getting old.
Graduated the year after Brandin and played one year for Dixon!

-How Brad Wanamaker does not make your team and you start Gibbs is crazy to me.

-Where is that 13-9 poster with all his efficiency stats. Ill wait for him to chime in here.

-I stand by Ashton Gibbs is one of the most overrated players in Pitt history. I wouldnt even have him on my team, let a lone start over a player like Krauser, Page, or Wanamaker.

-I also think the 2003 team beats the 2009 team, 6 games out of 10. The 2003 team was the number 1 ranked team in the country per pomeroy. The 2004 team had the #1 defense in the country. These players were so much better on defense than anyone on the 2009 or 2011 team outside Wanamaker. Im all about offense, I stand by that. But you cannot have a collection of players that play zero defense, that is bad.

-I think pomeroy had a segment on Wanamaker showing he was statistically the best player in the entire league in 2011, let alone far and away the best player on Pitt in 2011. 13-9 can back it up when he chooses to post.

I don't think it's crazy at all. Having said this, I consider myself a huge Brad fan, and can certainly see the case for him to start over Gibbs.

But like I said in my original reply, I like the idea of Levance creating and Lamar penetrating from the wing to set up shots for Ashton. And whether or not you think he's overrated, Ashton was a very good three point shooter.

I'd like another shooter on my starting floor, and that just wasn't Brad. Brad's was great at creating off of the wing ball screen, but on my team, I've already got Levance to work off the high ball screen and Lamar to work off the wing ball screen, and I'd like both to be able to find Ashton.

When Lamar was a senior, he turned Josh Newkirk into a pretty productive shooter as a two guard, so I think he'd do even more for someone like Ashton.

I also wouldn't say Brad was a great defender (he was decent), and Ashton was OK as a defender until something went a little south in that regard his senior year. But he didn't play "zero" defense as you suggest.

Comparing the 2003 and 2004 teams against 2009 or 2011 are pretty interesting exercises. I'd probably rank 2009 and 2003 as very close (1 and 1A), with 2004 a step behind. That 2004 team could defend like none other. But down the stretch, they simply could not shoot the ball nearly well enough to be a real final four contender. 2009 was more explosive offensively and Blair could rebound like no one else in the last 30 years but 2003 was more balanced.

I don't think it's crazy at all. Having said this, I consider myself a huge Brad fan, and can certainly see the case for him to start over Gibbs.

But like I said in my original reply, I like the idea of Levance creating and Lamar penetrating from the wing to set up shots for Ashton. And whether or not you think he's overrated, Ashton was a very good three point shooter.

I'd like another shooter on my starting floor, and that just wasn't Brad. Brad's was great at creating off of the wing ball screen, but on my team, I've already got Levance to work off the high ball screen and Lamar to work off the wing ball screen, and I'd like both to be able to find Ashton.

When Lamar was a senior, he turned Josh Newkirk into a pretty productive shooter as a two guard, so I think he'd do even more for someone like Ashton.

I also wouldn't say Brad was a great defender (he was decent), and Ashton was OK as a defender until something went a little south in that regard his senior year. But he didn't play "zero" defense as you suggest.

Comparing the 2003 and 2004 teams against 2009 or 2011 are pretty interesting exercises. I'd probably rank 2009 and 2003 as very close (1 and 1A), with 2004 a step behind. That 2004 team could defend like none other. But down the stretch, they simply could not shoot the ball nearly well enough to be a real final four contender. 2009 was more explosive offensively and Blair could rebound like no one else in the last 30 years but 2003 was more balanced.

-Waiting for 13-9 to chime in here.

Obo-dobo, Cam Wright, Milligan, Houghton, Nasir Robinson and DeGroat. I understand this crew played a game of "Horse" and that they quit after 48 hours because no one could make a shot.Second team-Dante Taylor, Dwight Miller, the fat forward from Houston, and a tie among jumping Raffie Maia/Cassin Diggs, Austin Wallace and Doyle Hudson . Top shelf talent, baby.

Obo-dobo, Cam Wright, Milligan, Houghton, Nasir Robinson and DeGroat. I understand this crew played a game of "Horse" and that they quit after 48 hours because no one could make a shot.Second team-Dante Taylor, Dwight Miller, the fat forward from Houston, and a tie among jumping Raffie Maia/Cassin Diggs, Austin Wallace and Doyle Hudson . Top shelf talent, baby.
Thanks for the input. Is there a Carrion Cafe in Wilmington??

You are getting old.
Graduated the year after Brandin and played one year for Dixon!
I've been old for a while. Not obsessed with minutiae, though....or keeping records to refer to so I appear to be smart. ;)

How's the Mrs.? Let's grab a sammich when you get a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT