ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of TV ratings did the Pitt/PSU game draw?

JohnnyGossamer

Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2010
Just curious. I'm honestly not certain where to look. I bet SeanMillerFan already reported this in another thread.

Only thing I can find on it was this:

The Battle at Bristol on Saturday night led all Week 2 college football games on TV. The Tennessee-Virginia Tech matchup on ABC drew a 3.6 overnight rating. That game went up against ESPN's Arkansas-TCU matchup, which went to double OT and drew a 1.4 overnight. ESPN's top cable CFB audience this past weekend was Penn State-Pitt in the 12:00pm ET window, drawing a 1.7 overnight.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Hmm. I wonder how that compares to other games that started at noon? Looks like a nice number. I'll say that much.

Pitt/PSU was beaten by Mich/UCF on ABC. 2.9 million viewers to 2.4 million viewers.

Pitt/PSU barely topped ESPN's Week 1 noon game (Mich/Hawaii) 2.4 million to 2.1 million.

Maybe my expectations were too high but these ratings were very disappointing.

Interestingly, 5 of the 14 2015 ESPN noon games drew a lower rating that Pitt/PSU and 2 of them were Penn State games (vs Indiana and Maryland).

Noon is a tough time slot since there's a lot of competition but I still expected much higher ratings. It would have been interesting to see how the ratings would have been if it were on ABC instead.

Most people don't like Penn State. If they don't have a god in the fight, they prefer not to watch the pedos at all.

Reactions: PantherDDS
Most people don't like Penn State. If they don't have a god in the fight, they prefer not to watch the pedos at all.
Not liking the Nits automatically gives someone a dog in the fight. You turn it on to hopefully see them get their asses whipped.

This is what happens when someone got Petty and ended an Historic Series but would renew it on a 2-1 belief he needed more money and the CD's believed it.o_O:confused::eek:

Along with James Franklin and Terry Smith that thought it was never a Rival's Game to the regret of the Players, Alumni, and Fans!:confused::oops::eek:

Good thing Penn State and Pitt Alumni Fans Vastly Agreed it is a Rivalry and always has been, and should be renewed every year:p:D:).........All except Pennyliar & Goodnap sharing a Dumpster's Hotline on How To Be Safe At Penn State Games?:(:mad:o_O

Early season noon slots are tough to get ratings.

1) Lot's of games, lot's of divided allegiances, lot's of channels being watched.
2) Weather. It was sunny and hot, alot of people do outdoor things, still like grass cutting/gardening/etc....
3) Football. Especially in Sept and October, Pee Wee Games, JV games, etc...alot of football activities that would involve football fans
4) It is still early so hard to get a guage on importance.

What I mean by all of this, come November, while you still have the competitive situation with other games, you now have less outdoor activities and weather drives more inside, pee wee football activities end........

Interesting, it was a road game for PSU, you would think 'Nittany Nation" would drive up ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT