ADVERTISEMENT

What Panther would you want on the line

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
Terrible way to see the game end last night , but what Panther would you like to be on the line in that situation. You need a great FT shooter whose got ice water running through their veins .
My nominees would be ( that I’ve seen play are ) :
1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

My choice is Sean Miller , but Gibbs and Mathews wouldn’t be bad choices . Miller wins on coolness under fire . ( he’d be sweating though ! )

Sean Miller doesn’t that go wo saying.

Don’t know the historical numbers so maybe I’d have a change.
First thought Miller all the way

Terrible way to see the game end last night , but what Panther would you like to be on the line in that situation. You need a great FT shooter whose got ice water running through their veins .
1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

My choice is Sean Miller , but Gibbs and Mathews wouldn’t be bad choices . Miller wins on coolness under fire . ( he’d be sweating though ! )
All worthy, but Miller is my guy.

1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

Dave Roman

Sean Miller doesn’t that go wo saying.

Don’t know the historical numbers so maybe I’d have a change.
First thought Miller all the way
All 3 were great
LeVance!

Krauser another name to throw out there too.

I don’t known specific #s of either of them but they both had that late game clutch shot, takeover mentality. You need someone whose bigger than the moment.
Both had what it takes , but they were mid 70’s% wise , the three I choose were all upper 80’s .

Top 4 career FT% shooters in Pitt history with at least 175 attempts :

1) Sean Miller - .885

2) Jason Matthews - .878

3) Ashton Gibbs - .872

4) Don Hennon - .823

Top 4 career FT% shooters in Pitt history with at least 175 attempts :

1) Sean Miller - .885

2) Jason Matthews - .878

3) Ashton Gibbs - .872

4) Don Hennon - .823
Miller flirted with 90 during the yr.....
1 or 2 or 3 on Howlands 4th yr team they go to FF

Reactions: TreesHero
1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

Tim Glover

Reactions: gary2
1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

Gibbs missed a few critical one at the end of games that would have mattered.

There is a very easy selection with this question -- Levance.

Levance.

I'll never forget a game against St. John's when we had a chance to tie. Miller went to the line and missed the first one. Total choke job. I can still remember the SJU fans mocking him after that miss.

Levance.

I'll never forget a game against St. John's when we had a chance to tie. Miller went to the line and missed the first one. Total choke job. I can still remember the SJU fans mocking him after that miss.
Right. I remember that game well.

Your choosing a career mid 70’s over three guys with career marks close to 90% ! Both Miller and Mathews were clutch .

He was so clutch, I mean he has to be the guy as we saw in the Nova game in 2009. Matthews wouldn't be a bad choice either. Miller, I am just so pissed and disappointed in him, I just disown.

I remember Miller missing a foul shot with seconds left that would have given Pitt 100 points versus Oklahoma that 1988-89 season.

Reactions: paulbl99
1) A Gibbs
2) S Miller
3) J Mathews

From the old days, I’ll take Kent Scott!

Your choosing a career mid 70’s over three guys with career marks close to 90% ! Both Miller and Mathews were clutch .

I understand your very logical point, but I just can't think of a Panther player I'd like with the ball in his hands a the end of the game more than Fields.

So you are probably correct in that even if Levance shot fouls much better at the end of games, it still likely wasn't at near 90% Miller and Matthews shot from the line all the time.

And I shouldn't forget that Levence went 0-2 from the line during the VCU game with 2 seconds to go that would have given the Panthers the win.

Reactions: FireballZ

I would take Fieldsy.

Honorable mention to Ronald Ramon.

I remember Gibbs missing some big, late free throws at different times. But I don't recall the specific games. Anybody have a better memory of those?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT