ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Game & Other Dribbles ...

There is a possibility of some lineup changes coming. The 5 man situation is going to be addressed and maybe if we can get some scoring there the wing spot might be changed. Will is a better defender, rebounder, and passer than Austin.It will be interesting to watch if these positions change
I'm not disagreeing with you but in essence, there was basically a lineup change last night. GDG played 25 minutes and Will played 26. Those are basically starter minutes, which were well deserved. My personal viewpoint isn't that it really doesn't matter who starts the game so much.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I also loved seeing the twins out there together , there’s a multiplier effect when that occurs . Plus that were putting up 3’s ! Seven footers shooting 3’s adds a dimension we’ve never had at Pitt .
I agree. Something about them both on the floor tends to help them both. Really liked how they were not hesitant to shoot. Guillermo hit his shots and Jorge missed his (for the most part), but they both shot confidently. Pitt needs more of that from them.
-Will’s D was outstanding and while Blake won us the game, Will was the one who made it a laugher. Once he took Slazinski out of the game, WVU could not match our scoring.

-Jaland is going to become a very important player as the season goes on. He runs the offense and probes the defense better than Bub at this time.

-I really thought Austin would be able to guard Slazinski, but he did not do a very good job at all. Slazinski is not a great athlete, but knows his own game very well and uses his body and tempo very well. Will took all of that away from him and rebounded too. If Austin is not scoring, this is a better option.
I think that last night was a little bit of fool's gold with Will/Austin. Will is the better perimeter defender, but truthfully there is not too much difference. For whatever odd reason, he was able to frustrate the WVU kid more. He also hit the glass very hard. I give him a ton of respect but also would say that we need to see more of these types of performances from him before having any real expectation. Last night, he played a little like Rodman (in a good way); lets see if he can play like that game in and game out.

I thought Jaland was huge in low minutes. And, he likely should have played more. This game may have been something that allows him to turn the corner. Its a good time for the competition to go down. He gets more minutes, hopefully gets some double digit games and gets going.
I think our best offense is with 5 men out of the lane. The modern game has made the low post center a dinosaur anyway. With 5 out the driving lanes open for Ish and others. Unfortunately, Fede isn’t suited well to play that way. On the other hand, the twins are. You can play 5 out with one guy who isn’t much of a scoring threat, but not with 2. I really liked the combination of the twins and Will on the court together.
A lot of life is about what you have to give to get. And, Edwards showed a good deal of what you give when Guillermo is on the floor a lot. Edwards is not a common opponent (he is very good), but he highlighted the speed/strength differences between Fede and GDG.

On the other end though, Guillermo really opened up Pitt's offense. Teams are going to start cranking down harder on Hinson (which I know is hard to believe, but it will happen). And, they already have altered their scouting report for Carrington. Guillermo potentially makes them have to be much more honest with both guys. Its just very hard when those ball screens are set and the big has to stay with Guillermo. It opens up the floor. It also would allow Leggett more driving lanes. Same thing if Austin starts hitting shots, but Guillermo is a more likely candidate right now to spread the floor.

Just like with Will, you really need to see more of this. But, lets say that Guillermo puts together a nice 5-6 game run coming up, against the 3 non-conference teams and the initial 2 real conference games. If he averages 10+ during that stretch and plays well against the conference teams, I think that they will have to make a move in the starting lineup because of who/what they actually are.

He is not a bad defender, but they have to give some between the two guys. But, I do not think this team is going to win too many slug it out games with opponents defensively. They are going to slug it out with 3s and big shots. Stylistically, he fits in the best with that and you can always just play him less when Pitt plays the tougher opposing bigs (ex: Hall, Bacot, etc).

It is just like last year in that they are going to live and die with jump shots for the most part. In that case, they are better off with another jump shooter on the floor that can alter momentum.

** Most notably, Bub has to start getting to the foul line.

Earlier this week the Athletic had their first top 100 for next year's NBA draft. They had Carrington at something like 24. They talked about him a little in the write up, saying that some scouts thinks he has the talent to be a lottery pick, but other scouts are worried because he has not shown the ability to get the ball to the rim at all. They worry that if he can't get to the rim in the NBA he won't play.

Which gets to your point, he doesn't get to the foul line because he never takes the ball to the rim. We need him to start doing that, at least sometimes. But does he have that in his game?

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
2) much has been made of Fede’s regression/lack of rebounding. He was even worse rebounding last year. And he just has worse players around him than last year so his horrid offensive isn’t masked.
Fede and Jeffress are the same players they have always been. Last year we praised Fede for his shot blocking and ability to score on put backs and alley oops. This year we are criticizing him for his lack of rebounding and weak one on one play in the post. In the past we complained about Will's shooting, now we are happy with his defense and rebounding.

Logically we should accept these guys for who they are. But every group needs a whipping boy and an unsung hero I guess. They look to be this year's nominees.

Earlier this week the Athletic had their first top 100 for next year's NBA draft. They had Carrington at something like 24. They talked about him a little in the write up, saying that some scouts thinks he has the talent to be a lottery pick, but other scouts are worried because he has not shown the ability to get the ball to the rim at all. They worry that if he can't get to the rim in the NBA he won't play.

Which gets to your point, he doesn't get to the foul line because he never takes the ball to the rim. We need him to start doing that, at least sometimes. But does he have that in his game?
Made that very comment in the WVU thread. I think he needs an offseason to get physically stronger and develop that part of his game. I just dont think he can do that consistently enough against P5 Teams

Another thing that was great to see was Austin looked awesome on the bench, going crazy for the guys on the floor. Austin didn’t look good shooting the ball at all, but he was still rebounding hard and going nuts on the bench. No sulking, no pressing, just taking the open shots (missing them) and not forcing a shot to try to get going.

I couldn’t agree more. After watching 9 games now, and particularly those against the uptick in talent, I’ve been wondering the same thing.

About the only thing I can say he’s good at is making the pull up jumper off the drive into the paint. Nothing wrong with that but he’s shown zero on being able to take it all the way to the basket for a bucket or foul.

I couldn’t agree more. After watching 9 games now, and particularly those against the uptick in talent, I’ve been wondering the same thing.

About the only thing I can say he’s good at is making the pull up jumper off the drive into the paint. Nothing wrong with that but he’s shown zero on being able to take it all the way to the basket for a bucket or foul.
We need to put a little Brad in Bub.

** From time to time, Lair posters will participate in threads attempting to name the best three point shooters in Pitt Hoops history.

** Jason Matthews is almost always the choice for the top spot, and many of the usual suspects such as Ron Ramon, Rod Brookin, Sean Miller, Ashton Gibbs and Jason Maile typically enter the conversation. And there’s always a few long timers who contest that folks such as Larry Harris or Clyde Vaughan would be near the top had they played with a three point line.

** But it may be time that a new name tops the aforementioned list.

** At the very least, a new name will be at the top of the Panther record book for most threes in a game. And it’s hard to think that same name won’t end this year with the record for most threes for a season.

** It’s just not the number of three point shots that Blake Hinson is able to make that I find most remarkable. It’s the number of three point shots he can find his way to take in a game that might be more impressive.

** He’s needing less and less space to get his shot, while he’s finding more ways to get to it.

** And many of those are just deep well guarded tough shots. Shots you can’t believe he’s even taking. But almost as a rule, these same shots are going in at rate inching up to 50% for the season.

** Most the night tonight I was just shaking my head. Shaking my head much the same way I do when I watch folks such as Steph Curry or Damian Lillard in the NBA. The way Blake is playing, it sure looks to he’ll be getting a job playing against folks such as those two next year.

** So congrats to you Blake Hinson for an incredible and memorable night. You were something special for sure!

** But let’s also remember that while Blake grabbed the headline, many others stepped up to turn this trip an hour or so to the south into a rout!

** I’ll start with Will Jeffress. We may have just watched that best possible game ever played by a Pitt Panther Hooper who only scored 1 point. He just defended so well by staying in front of his man. He drew charges. He helped. He switched. He stole the ball. And of course, he rebounded the ball exceptionally well. Blake’s the easy choice for the game’s number one star, but Will gets my number two.

** There are several gentlemen who could be the #3 star, but I’ll go a different direction. I’ll give the #3 star to the whole Pitt Bench. The same group who marked nary a point a few days ago chalked up 25 this night. This is cheating because it gives Will another share of a star, but Guillermo, Jorge and Jaland all made major contributions.

** It’s also worth mentioning that in just about every game they play together, the Twins are good for at least one perfect give and go, or pick and roll, or some other similar play that demonstrates a connection that only a pair of brothers born at the same time can make.

** I’m not sure I want to go overboard giving too much credit to Coach Capel, but I do want to note a couple positive moves that made a difference. First, there was a quick hook for Fede and Austin, which enabled the bench to get involved more early and more often.

** Next, Jeff went with a whole different lineup for much of the first half that placed Blake more or less as the two guard. And why not?

** Third, I do want to note the success of the let-the-three-fly game plan. It was the right plan for this night and it was crystal clear Capel wanted just about everyone to shoot from deep whenever they got a look.

** Having said this, I have concerns this isn’t a great plan all the time. First and foremost, it’s a great plan when shooting at a 42% clip. But had the Panthers shot the three at a 32% clip, that would have been 12 less points and a different ballgame.

** I’m also worried that we simply don’t draw many fouls, let alone get many points in the paint. We will need to grind to win some game this year.

** Most notably, Bub has to start getting to the foul line.

** Drawing fouls and point in the paint will certainly matter more when playing a team that has any ability to shoot the three, as the Mountie’s certainly do not.

** There were also still too many defensive lapses and manhandled defensive trips in the paint which almost kept this game too close for too long.

** But eventually, even the threat of Blake shooting the three loosened up driving lanes and our lead ballooned from single digits to twenty.

** And the only drama left was to learn was if Blake would get his record.

** But was it really drama? You just knew this was the kind of night when he would. After all, he’s likely now who most of us will call the greatest three point shooter in Pitt Hoops history.
Fun game to watch...They are growing and learning. They are figuring out who they are and it may just be that Jeffress needs to be on the floor more for them to be the best team they can be this year.

Lowe - getting more comfortable is very good. Learning to handle the speed and physicality of this level

GDG - needs to be more consistent, if he can makes the team more hard to guard, Will in the game helps him on D better combo than with Austin

Always appreciate the insights

That is a very accurate assessment and its a big reason I cant see him going Top 5 or 10 like some mocks. That high, you need to be starter-level right away and he wont be that yet. He doesn't have a complete game. I said in another post, like, he needs to be able to get to the rim like a Judah Mintz so at least he can draw fouls. That said, he would be a good get at the bottom of the 1st Round or early 2nd based on his age and potential. A team drafting at the end of the 1st wont need him to contribute a ton right away.

Couple things:
1) the let it fly game plan may not be conducive to winning an ACC title or a NCAA title, but it’s A) fun
B) can win enough to get into the ncaa tourney
C) win a few games in the tournament
D) be fun enough to recruit better players in the future
2) much has been made of Fede’s regression/lack of rebounding. He was even worse rebounding last year. And he just has worse players around him than last year so his horrid offensive isn’t masked.
3) kudos to Will on a great game. This team’s ceiling relies on him. And the rest of the bench. Austin and Fede struggling on both ends is too much to overcome
4) someone said that Slazinski really knew his game and body well. Must’ve had a good trainer and HS coach. Kind of dude you hate if he’s in the other team but love if he’s on your side
That was me.

That is a very accurate assessment and its a big reason I cant see him going Top 5 or 10 like some mocks. That high, you need to be starter-level right away and he wont be that yet. He doesn't have a complete game. I said in another post, like, he needs to be able to get to the rim like a Judah Mintz so at least he can draw fouls. That said, he would be a good get at the bottom of the 1st Round or early 2nd based on his age and potential. A team drafting at the end of the 1st wont need him to contribute a ton right away.
Dude could have at least double doubles every night on a blue blood with his assists. He passes tremendously well and it’s not his fault Jeffress, Austin, et al can’t finish. He gets attention with Hinson, because teams no the others can’t hurt them as much. He isn’t superman going 1 vs 3 in the lane. He probably isn’t done growing. He is a quarter way done the season. Let’s see where he is at the half way point.

A quick glance at Jeffress’ high-school statistics show that he averaged over 20 points a game each of his three years, and he set McDowell’s scoring record as junior. It seems he must have some offensive game, and he was a 4-star. I would imagine that the coaches think he will eventually begin to make some contributions with scoring. He gets the ball and takes some shots within the flow of the game. I don’t watch high-school games, so for those who followed him from his early days, I am wondering what type of scoring he was best able to do in high school.

A quick glance at Jeffress’ high-school statistics show that he averaged over 20 points a game each of his three years, and he set McDowell’s scoring record as junior. It seems he must have some offensive game, and he was a 4-star. I would imagine that the coaches think he will eventually begin to make some contributions with scoring. He gets the ball and takes some shots within the flow of the game. I don’t watch high-school games, so for those who followed him from his early days, I am wondering what type of scoring he was best able to do in high school.

Erie area high school basketball is beyond terrible. I was a little concerned actually that he scored so little. Really, he should have been 30-35 like TJ McConnell

Reactions: lunzhegu

His shooting metrics in high school in the midrange and from 3 were respectable and he scored enough in high school. The problem is, the teams he was facing against were not good competition at all. So the only thing you are gaining from his high school film and stats is whether he could make open shots or not and getting a feel of any type of playmaking ability he may have.

In the EYBL, he only averaged around 6 or 7 points per game which is not what you want at the EYBL level. Granted he skipped a year, but those are not good EYBL numbers. The 2021 recruiting class, his original class, was also a weak recruiting class at the national level. So when he went into and reclassed to 2020, his ranking nosedived appropriately with it. Not all recruiting classes are equal, not by a long shot. Some are stacked, others are very weak.

When he played for Team Durant, most of his action was either around the hoop or around the 3PT line/a few steps ahead of it.

At Pitt, he has never settled into hitting jump shots and he just looks perpetually nervous around the hoop. Some of it just seems like a guy that needs shots to fall. But, this is his third year on the floor, you would really like for him to have worked past that by this stage.

Capel is insistent he shoots very well in practice, FWIW. It has never translated though as everyone knows.

People seem to forget college kids do have a full time course load , and limited practice time .
Film time is a big issue I heard an NBA GM say. In college due to the 20? hour limit, basically you use all that time practicing plays and scrimmage games, so there is very little time for film work or one on one development off the court.

I see your points. Thanks. A lot of people were excited about his commitment, but those were different days. The coaches seem to believe he can get it going. Whatever happens in that regard, he certainly is a beast on defense.

he has been trying to take it to the rim and get contact the past few games, he just does not have the strength to power through any contact right now. I hope he sticks around so we can see how he develops.

Jeffress obviously spent a lot of time in
the weight room. He's really built now
compared to when he first got here.
He's got the body, appears stronger, and
can play good strong D. His shooting I
gotta believe is mental. Someone in
this thread mentioned Santos. I'm not
saying Santos' problem was mental, but it
wasn't shooting mechanics that's for
sure. He had great form, solid mechanics,
but "couldn't put the ball in the ocean." in
real time. He moves down to A-10 and