ADVERTISEMENT

What should be done about all the flopping?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The amount of flopping going on has seemed to increase greatly over the last few years. Why isnt there flopping in the NBA? In college basketball, the exciting play of someone driving to the basket has all but been taken away because if you do that, there's a strong likelihood that someone will be waiting for you and instead of trying to play defense, they will just get in your way, fake a fall to the ground, and draw a foul. So college basketball has resorted mainly to a 3 point contest. Drives are too risky.

Reactions: FireballZ
Just here's something..........................DON'T CALL ANYTHING if it is a bang bang play. This flopping happens because these guys are rewarded for flopping, You stop calling it for the most part, it will change behaviors.

That's one idea. Everytime a guy falls, they call something. There are guys falling like they are being hit by snipers. Its almost comical. And people make fun of soccer. College basketball flopping is 10 times worse. Every time a guy drives to the hole, I fear a charge is coming. Its to the point that when you are in foul trouble, you really should not drive into the lane. The chances of picking up a charging foul are high.

The amount of flopping going on has seemed to increase greatly over the last few years. Why isnt there flopping in the NBA? In college basketball, the exciting play of someone driving to the basket has all but been taken away because if you do that, there's a strong likelihood that someone will be waiting for you and instead of trying to play defense, they will just get in your way, fake a fall to the ground, and draw a foul. So college basketball has resorted mainly to a 3 point contest. Drives are too risky.
So you say they’re all faking? I sure can’t say that based on the games I’ve watched. Sure some faking here and there but I think in most cases it is legitimate reactions.

Now if you want to discuss offensive foul vs blocking, that may be a more legitimate debate. But the refs are right more often than not with the offensive foul call, players are too stupid to not push off or lower their shoulder and try to bull someone over.

So you say they’re all faking? I sure can’t say that based on the games I’ve watched. Sure some faking here and there but I think in most cases it is legitimate reactions.

Now if you want to discuss offensive foul vs blocking, that may be a more legitimate debate. But the refs are right more often than not with the offensive foul call, players are too stupid to not push off or lower their shoulder and try to bull someone over.
I’ll add to that, I can’t count how many times I’ve watched a game, they call an offensive foul and I’m questioning the ref’s call in my mind. And then they show the replay and the offensive foul is so obvious. Again, guys just need to learn to quit with the push off or the lower the shoulder and bull rush a guy over. Stupid.

Nothing as stupid though as guys continually not learning how to set a screen without getting called for an offensive foul. Again, refs correct more often than not with those too.

Yes. 95% of the time, the slight contact should not cause a similarly athletic person to fall down. Of course they are faking.

That's one idea. Everytime a guy falls, they call something. There are guys falling like they are being hit by snipers. Its almost comical.
Not so! The Diaz Graham brothers get knocked over like bowling pins every couple minutes and they don't get a call every time? :)

You haven't played basketball. It is hard to fall unless you are trying to. They are athletic enough that a 6'10 guys shouldn't fall over if a 6'2 guard runs into him.
The Diaz Graham brothers want to have a word with you :)

Totally agree.

I’ll add to that, I can’t count how many times I’ve watched a game, they call an offensive foul and I’m questioning the ref’s call in my mind. And then they show the replay and the offensive foul is so obvious. Again, guys just need to learn to quit with the push off or the lower the shoulder and bull rush a guy over. Stupid.

Nothing as stupid though as guys continually not learning how to set a screen without getting called for an offensive foul. Again, refs correct more often than not with those too.
Also agree.

These charge calls are beyond annoying and are negatively changing the game. I have two suggestions, one incremental change and one a more radical solution:

1) make the no-charge semi-circle bigger
2) eliminate all charges from off ball defenders. If you want to come off your man to defend someone driving to the basket you have to attempt a shot block, no more rewarding sliding in and flopping. In conjunction with this I would have a point of emphasis to be more lenient on defensive players making body contact while attempting to block a shot.

These charge calls are beyond annoying and are negatively changing the game. I have two suggestions, one incremental change and one a more radical solution:

1) make the no-charge semi-circle bigger
2) eliminate all charges from off ball defenders. If you want to come off your man to defend someone driving to the basket you have to attempt a shot block, no more rewarding sliding in and flopping. In conjunction with this I would have a point of emphasis to be more lenient on defensive players making body contact while attempting to block a shot.

Annoying is a good word for it. Its not basketball. Its this newish thing of sliding in and faking a fall. I mean charges have been around forever but the amount of plays resulting in a defender attempting to draw a charge is just way too high. Its not good basketball. Its eliminating the incentive to drive to the basket. I watched a few HS playoff games and noticed that blocks are called 90% of the time whereas in college, charges are called 90% of the time. Someone told me the PIAA rule is different. Something about your hands have to be up (attempting to block shot?). Not sure if that's true but that sounds better than the shitshow in the college game.

I'd agree about extending the semicircle or just creating a rule where if you fall, its a block. These are very athletic, strong players, very very few of these plays should result in a player falling over. If you called a blocking foul (or no foul) for falling, they would immediately attempt to play regular basketball defense like trying to block a shot or trying to defend the player instead of faking a fall.

Refs LOVE making the charge call and motion. They know all the attention is on them for the 50/50 call and HAM it up!! Couple crow hops and hit em bam bam! CHARGE! Crowd goes crazy in happiness or disgust either way its all about the ref baby! The Ringmaster!!

thats the thing, we've seen a million charging calls and these players, who are incredible athletes, who've been playing this game all of their lives, continue to drive and bull rush in, FULL WELL knowing that it will be 90% a charge or maybe if they are lucky, 10% a blocking foul.

We see it coming, seconds in the future, we see the inevitable and it still happens over and over and over. i cant for the life of me figure out why they just dont try a 8' pull up jumper. Even "floaters' now are getting charge calls.

on a side note, the idea that you can get a charge call, and a "flopping" call, on the same play makes no sense. I think that happened to Hinson. It's one or the other, it cant be both, that doesnt even make sense.

On one of the pregames driving in, Hillgrove said something like there is an emphasis this year on calling less charges. Cant remember his exact words but even before he said that, I was surprised the first few games when clear flops were called as blocks. I am preconditioned to think "oh crap" when one of our players make the slightest bit of contact and that player falls to the ground. Its a charge 99% of the time. However, this year, they have called those blocks. Hinson even flopped once against Jacksonville and was called for a block. It would have been a charge last year for sure. I have said many times that if you fall, it should be an automatic block. Players need to be taught to remain on their feet to play defense unless the contact is excessive. We all know that this slight contact shouldn't cause these big, strong players to keep falling. So maybe this is actual good news?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
There are essentially 3 “traps” reffing can fall into when it comes to college basketball. There’s not a single sport greater than basketball where the refs have more direct influence, so poor officiating can ruin the experience.

1. Overcharging. When refs decide everything is a charge from lazy defenders, and this has largely been improved over the last decade or so from a series of rule changes, and was a plague for years. Small sample size so far this year, but haven’t seen any egregious examples of this yet. Former “charges” are correctly being called as blocks.

2. The flailer. This is when an offensive player tilts their head back awkwardly the second there is the slightest bit of contact from the defender, and often shouts or flails. This is even coached into everyone these days. It’s such an unnatural and awkward motion, and obvious when it’s not legit. This gets over-called a ton. It can be off-ball too. There was a play last night in the Purdue Tennessee game where the Purdue player set a pick, and the Tennessee player ran into the Purdue player who started moving backwards right before contact and then the Purdue player screamed and flailed his arms up. Whistle. Foul on Tennessee. For what??? Running into an illegally moving player who picked you? Infuriating.

3. Overreffing. Basketball is often a crowded, physical game, that can be ruined by refs with a quick whistle. Sometimes entire team strategies are to “get a player in foul trouble,” which is viable when you are constantly forcing the physical contact yourself, and refs decide they have to get involved. Overreffing at the end of games in general, especially close ones, can be problematic too.

There are essentially 3 “traps” reffing can fall into when it comes to college basketball. There’s not a single sport greater than basketball where the refs have more direct influence, so poor officiating can ruin the experience.

1. Overcharging. When refs decide everything is a charge from lazy defenders, and this has largely been improved over the last decade or so from a series of rule changes, and was a plague for years. Small sample size so far this year, but haven’t seen any egregious examples of this yet. Former “charges” are correctly being called as blocks.

2. The flailer. This is when an offensive player tilts their head back awkwardly the second there is the slightest bit of contact from the defender, and often shouts or flails. This is even coached into everyone these days. It’s such an unnatural and awkward motion, and obvious when it’s not legit. This gets over-called a ton. It can be off-ball too. There was a play last night in the Purdue Tennessee game where the Purdue player set a pick, and the Tennessee player ran into the Purdue player who started moving backwards right before contact and then the Purdue player screamed and flailed his arms up. Whistle. Foul on Tennessee. For what??? Running into an illegally moving player who picked you? Infuriating.

3. Overreffing. Basketball is often a crowded, physical game, that can be ruined by refs with a quick whistle. Sometimes entire team strategies are to “get a player in foul trouble,” which is viable when you are constantly forcing the physical contact yourself, and refs decide they have to get involved. Overreffing at the end of games in general, especially close ones, can be problematic too.

There are few things in sport worse than a defender sliding in, simply to get run over by an offensive player on a fast break. Try to block the shot. If you fall, it should be a block.

the Charging calls has gone up dramatically in the last 10 years in college hoops, it's crazy. it seems like 80% of all contact is called a charge..

it really begs me the question of why these top hoops players cant dribble, penetrate and pull up on a 7' shot. they ALWAYS run into the defender, most of the time getting a charge call. Even when they pass it last second, more often than not, they still run into the defender and still get called on it.

Is a pull up 7 or 8' before running into the defender that impossible of a shot? Im sure some analytics dork will tell me it's not worth it..

I don’t know but Johnny hockey flopped after a phantom crosscheck in the last Pens/BJ’s game. It’s everywhere. Angles make it somewhat hard for refs to see if there was indeed contact ( looking at you king James) but a flop should be penalized more than a kick out foul at the 3 point arc. Two a game and ya oudda here…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT