ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on with the baseball team?

California Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Seems we always have a swoon at the end of the year and miss the ACCT. Yesterday we blew a 4-0 lead and today we so far have blown a 5-0 lead, but the game isn't over yet. We need to get some wins to assure our ACCT berth, 2 tough series coming to end the year vs UL and a ranked Clemson team.

Reactions: gary2
Joe Jordano swan song? Next up in the Heather Lyke “coach I need your keys and university credit card” talk. Joe is a good guy and a fellow Westminster Titan. But, maybe Heather can get a former coach of a past national championship winner to come like men’s and women’s soccer. That would be nice.

Reactions: W1np1tt and KR519
Seems we always have a swoon at the end of the year and miss the ACCT. Yesterday we blew a 4-0 lead and today we so far have blown a 5-0 lead, but the game isn't over yet. We need to get some wins to assure our ACCT berth, 2 tough series coming to end the year vs UL and a ranked Clemson team.

Realistically, there is an extremely high probability we make the tourney still. Virginia Tech is currently the 13-seed with only 6 games to play--against Miami and UNC. I do not see them winning the series in either of those and they are two games back.

With that said, the easiest way to secure our spot would be to win down the stretch. A win today would put us 3 games up on VT.

We blew another 4-run lead today, but came to win in the top of the 9th, 8-7. This was a MUCH needed win as wins may be tough to get in our closing 2 series at home vs 32-15 UL and #10 Clemson 35-12. We've eliminated BC from passing us with our 11 wins as they have 7 with only 3 left to play. We have a 2-game lead over UVA plus the tie-breaker and a 3-game lead over VT (they have the tie-breaker) with 6 left to play.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Joe Jordano swan song? Next up in the Heather Lyke “coach I need your keys and university credit card” talk. Joe is a good guy and a fellow Westminster Titan. But, maybe Heather can get a former coach of a past national championship winner to come like men’s and women’s soccer. That would be nice.

If Jordano makes the ACCT, he definitely gets another year. My guess is he coaches out his contract and then "retires" whether its his choice or not.

As much as I want to beat UPS tonight, I am hoping the manager is setting up our rotation for the last two ACC series. We need a couple more conference wins!

As part of their usual "unrivaled - we don't care about Pitt BS" I wouldn't be surprised if the Nits throw the closest thing they have to an ace tonight as they already have a firm grip on last place in the B1G.

As much as I want to beat UPS tonight, I am hoping the manager is setting up our rotation for the last two ACC series. We need a couple more conference wins!

As part of their usual "unrivaled - we don't care about Pitt BS" I wouldn't be surprised if the Nits throw the closest thing they have to an ace tonight as they already have a firm grip on last place in the B1G.

That isn't the way that college baseball works. Everyone, literally everyone, pitches their best three starting pitchers in the weekend conference games. No one holds back a good pitcher to pitch a mid-week non-conference game. No one has to "set up their rotation" for their weekend conference games, because they've been set up that way since the conference season started.

Tonight Pitt started Derek West. He's pitched in two ACC games all season for a total of 5-2/3 innings. Penn State started Eric Mock. Tonight was his third start of the season and he has a 7.66 ERA.

We used a weekend reliever Chentouf to get the save tonight

Relievers are completely different. Chentouf can come in tonight and throw 27 pitches and they know that he doesn't have to throw again tomorrow or Thursday and he'll be perfectly fine to throw again on Friday. On the other hand West threw 81 pitches tonight. There is no way that he comes back and starts a game on Friday or even Satuday, assuming that the coach cares about protecting the pitcher's arm even a little bit. Which, unfortunately, most college coaches don't.

Relievers are completely different. Chentouf can come in tonight and throw 27 pitches and they know that he doesn't have to throw again tomorrow or Thursday and he'll be perfectly fine to throw again on Friday. On the other hand West threw 81 pitches tonight. There is no way that he comes back and starts a game on Friday or even Satuday, assuming that the coach cares about protecting the pitcher's arm even a little bit. Which, unfortunately, most college coaches don't.

West isn’t a weekend guy for us, and I’m not sure I would have used Yaya tonight with the 6 ACC games we have left. Although it sure is nice to beat the nitwits

West isn’t a weekend guy for us, and I’m not sure I would have used Yaya tonight with the 6 ACC games we have left. Although it sure is nice to beat the nitwits

A relief pitcher throwing 27 pitches followed by two days off isn't a big deal. There was no real downside to him pitching last night. It's completely different for a guy throwing starter's innings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT