ADVERTISEMENT

When will they ever learn

We call these so called fans of both teams dualfans and quite frankly I can't even grasp the very concept.
When it truly comes down to it, there are no dual fans. One will always have a preference between the two, be it slight or be it a stronger preference.

That being said, a supposed Pitt faculty member sent his kid to attend the cult and has provided a lot more opinion regarding the depth chart at UPS than any casual "I root for both schools" person would ever know.

I know UPS fans that go to Pitt games. That doesn't make them Pitt fans. It's a dynamic I never understood, and find quite bizarre.

I really dont understand PITT fans worrying about players at psu and their spot on the depth chart. They did not choose PITT so I pay no attention to them.

Reactions: pittmeister
PSU depth chart released. Both Sanders and Wade at the bottom of their respective positions:

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/penn-state-football-depth-chart-2017

Had Sanders matriculated here he would probably be at bottom of Pitt RB depth chart. Too bad for Wade he may have had an opportunity to play at Pitt and possibly develop like Boyd.

Yeah, I'm not too sure this is a good thing to crow about. Sanders will get a ton of work and Wade is gonna be a nickel right off the bat. Not to mention on a top 10 team. And our top recruit just became eligible, may redshirt, or at best be a few games behind. I'd leave this thread alone if I were you...

One of the great rivalries in college football ended when a bitter Joe Paterno gained enough power to shut it down. Pennsylvania football fans had enjoyed this game for decades and many fans rooted for both teams until they met. This game draws national attention and should be played annually. It is good for Football and generates a ton of interest. Only the nitters buy into the reasons for not having the game. Thus, pittmeister's point has been proven rather quickly and without a doubt.
LOL........it was shut down when pitt joined the big east and the BE didn't want psu for basketball etc. Later psu joins the bten and financially the best thing they ever did

Reactions: dalions81
This will be Sanders' year to show what he has. Barkley probably won't see a whole lot of late-game action, quite possibly. It's hard to describe how poor the offensive line was at times the last few years, at least until things settled down towards the end of the year. Barkley's good enough to make do himself, but when Sanders was in the backup OL was also in, and they weren't helping much. As a freshman, he wasn't going to be able to rise above that. This year the OL should be significantly better, and the backups are also a lot better, as Franklin redshirted some guys who could've been playing. And really, not many freshmen RB's really stand out all that much. This year will provide a clearer picture. As well, even though he was a freshman last year, he had the second best season record all time for kickoff returns at Penn State. Calling him a bust at this point is not rational.

And before you all rip me as a Nitter, let me state that I have a foot in both camps. Pitt faculty and season ticket holder, and a kid in school up in State College. Not a grad of either school, but fan of both.

100% disagree on the late game action... too much at stake and are you expecting to blow everyone out ?

100% disagree on the late game action... too much at stake and are you expecting to blow everyone out ?

PSU didn't blow out many teams last year, save for the bottom feeders in the BIG and Kent State. Maybe this poster is talking about the back end of the schedule with a loaded field of MSU, Rutgers, and MD who went a combined 4-23 in conference. Although, having GA State and Akron bookend the PITT game may provide for a little break too.

Miles Sanders would be the #1 back this year at Pitt. He probably starts at Penn State next year when Barkley leaves. As for Wade, he's a true freshman and even the most optimistic Penn State fans never thought that he would play this year.
Untrue.

A few of you are confused. Med school faculty can't send their kids to Pitt for free. At least, not most of us. Most of us are employed by University of Pittsburgh Physicians, NOT the university proper. You may or may not know this, but the med school's docs got split off from the med school and the university about a decade ago. It's complicated, but some people are pure Pitt Med school, and have the usual university benefits, but most of us are UPP, and don't. I would have a partial benefit to send one kid to another school, for 8 semesters, but it wouldn't cover full costs. Same as if I sent the kid to Pitt. It is not the full amount. It used to be, not so long ago, but not anymore. Way less than you think. Some of the nonclinical research guys may have full university status/benefits, but not us. And anyhow, any benefit we have is ONLY for one kid. The others may as well not exist, even if they all go to Pitt.

In sum, it was a bad deal for us. But we had no choice. University benefits are much better overall, but not what they once were.

Last edited:

I think PSU will have a number of games under control by the beginning of the 4th quarter, barring injuries to key guys. That's not an unreasonable assumption. Look, PSU plays Indiana and Rutgers and Akron and Georgia State at home. Right there, are probably four candidates for early substitution. Michigan, I dunno. It's a white-out game, and that's a pretty big home field advantage. It's possible. Maryland on the road, but that's a possible big number, depending on how the Terp offense is playing. Obviously not OSU at the Shoe. Northwestern's a trap game. Iowa at night on the road will be a challenge. MSU looks like they are a shambles, but you never know.

Nothing's guaranteed, but I would anticipate Sanders gets a fair number of carries. We'll see what he does with them. With Slade coming in next year, the pressure is only going to increase.

When it truly comes down to it, there are no dual fans. One will always have a preference between the two, be it slight or be it a stronger preference.

That being said, a supposed Pitt faculty member sent his kid to attend the cult and has provided a lot more opinion regarding the depth chart at UPS than any casual "I root for both schools" person would ever know.

I know UPS fans that go to Pitt games. That doesn't make them Pitt fans. It's a dynamic I never understood, and find quite bizarre.

Sigh. I'm not a Pitt grad. Not a PSU grad. My other kid went to a more prestigious academic institution (sorry, but true) than either of these two schools. I have news for you: most kids of Pitt docs don't send their kids to Pitt. Not by a long shot. I have colleagues with kids at ND, Michigan, Northwestern, even Duke. It's just the way it is. Anybody who thinks that the typical Pitt faculty member feels some kind of innate responsibility to send their kid to Pitt is totally out of the loop. At least in the med school, this could not be further from the truth.

I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs. My kid wanted to get away from home. Simple as that. There wasn't nearly as much scrutiny about it as you think.

Those who claim to be fans of both programs remind me of the
PSU didn't blow out many teams last year, save for the bottom feeders in the BIG and Kent State. Maybe this poster is talking about the back end of the schedule with a loaded field of MSU, Rutgers, and MD who went a combined 4-23 in conference. Although, having GA State and Akron bookend the PITT game may provide for a little break too.

They were loosing to Indifreekingana with less than 4 minutes to go last season. It doesn't get more bottom feeder in any league than them.

it was shut down when pitt joined the big east

You really can't be serious. The fact that conference play is generally scheduled after an OOC schedule in all conferences makes it plausible to schedule inter-conference games. Plus, South Carolina-Clemson and Florida-Florida State flatly disprove your assertion. When they no longer play because they are in different conferences let us know.

Franklin said this week that Lamont Wade will play on Saturday. Miles Sanders is the odds on favorite to be the feature back in 2018 when Barkley is in the NFL.

Watch out for incoming 5 star RB Ricky Slade to join the battle for PT in 2018. With Sanders, Robinson, Journey "Legit Track Speed" Brown, and 5 star Slade, PSU is loaded at the tailback position for 2018.

Sigh. I'm not a Pitt grad. Not a PSU grad. My other kid went to a more prestigious academic institution (sorry, but true) than either of these two schools. I have news for you: most kids of Pitt docs don't send their kids to Pitt. Not by a long shot. I have colleagues with kids at ND, Michigan, Northwestern, even Duke. It's just the way it is. Anybody who thinks that the typical Pitt faculty member feels some kind of innate responsibility to send their kid to Pitt is totally out of the loop. At least in the med school, this could not be further from the truth.

I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs. My kid wanted to get away from home. Simple as that. There wasn't nearly as much scrutiny about it as you think.

So you didn't take advantage of the free tuition?

There are likely tens of thousands of folks in this area who root for both schools. How would anyone know who they favor?
Sorry, but I don't believe that there are "likely tens of thousands of folks in the area that root for both schools". I don't know any one that is a Pitt fan that also roots for psu, and I know of no psu fan that also roots for Pitt. The people who say that they root for both schools are not really a fan of either program.

Reactions: PITTLAW
Sorry, but I don't believe that there are "likely tens of thousands of folks in the area that root for both schools". I don't know any one that is a Pitt fan that also roots for psu, and I know of no psu fan that also roots for Pitt. The people who say that they root for both schools are not really a fan of either program.

Fixed:
The people who say that they root for both schools are not really sports fans.

Reactions: PITTLAW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT