ADVERTISEMENT

Where to draw the line

It's situational. Old enough to get butchered in some war that started before they were born but not old enough to have a beer (which I don't really understand).
The most illogical law in this nation. It makes no sense. YOU ARE.....old enough to:
1) Vote.
2) Serve in the military
3) Get legally married
4) Be tried as an adult. (let's revisit this in a moment)
5) Get credit

Yet you are not old enough to take a legal drink???? How is this even legal? How does this hold up to any court challenges? Let's revisit number 4 here, if you are saying someone is not old or mature enough to have a friggin beer, then how can you try them as an adult?

I really think this law is easily challenged. I am not sure why it is not challenged.

The answer is simple -
If a kid isn’t good enough you don’t blame the kid
You blame the pro coaches for playing them and not having someone better.

That is certain part of what I was saying in my post - yes... but also sometimes we ought to blame the coaches for other things too. Being too stubborn with schemes that aren’t working or not being able to get the best out of the players they do have or not even giving certain players a chance.

Some coaches can make 2 star recruits look more like 4 star talent on the field and some coaches can make 4 star recruits look like 2 star talent on the field because they don’t play to that recruit’s strength or they just really aren’t that good at coaching up talent.

Agreed. Like the thread fat-shaming the OL-men at a waterpark. Out of line.

Saying, "Kenny Pickett needs to play better if Pitt is going to win 10 games" is a factual statement. But there are reasons some people might disagree. That's cool too.

Some of that other garbage is just embarrassing and stupid.

Or on the paint ball competition field since they can't hide behind trees. Well most trees.

State Universities aren't for profit entities.
No market forces are in play!

State schools supported for the most part by tax payer dollars and are in the business to educate kids not put kids in the NFL or NBA.

I'm for creating a minor football and basketball league which would be free market driven and let the rest, the real scholar athletes play college football and basketball for a free education.

State schools are in the business to prepare kids for their future careers!
Who is to say that preparing yet another future business person is any more or less worthy than preparing a future athlete

State schools are in the business to prepare kids for their future careers!

I would say that probably was once the case. Certain state schools run more like diploma factories. It's not entirely their fault because business' decided somewhere along the way that making a kid have a BS in just about anything was a prerequisite to be hired to do menial tasks.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
The most illogical law in this nation. It makes no sense. YOU ARE.....old enough to:
1) Vote.
2) Serve in the military
3) Get legally married
4) Be tried as an adult. (let's revisit this in a moment)
5) Get credit

Yet you are not old enough to take a legal drink???? How is this even legal? How does this hold up to any court challenges? Let's revisit number 4 here, if you are saying someone is not old or mature enough to have a friggin beer, then how can you try them as an adult?

I really think this law is easily challenged. I am not sure why it is not challenged.

If it weren't for Vietnam, you'd probably still have to be older than 18 to vote.
There's an article circulating today that says the military is studying taking 16 year olds.
You can get married as young as 16 in some states without any kind of parental consent.
You can be tried as an adult in Texas at 14.

But at least keeping the legal age to drink at 21 is preventing high school kids from having beer at parties. :rolleyes:

As I scroll through various sites that cover college sports I notice a somewhat alarming trend. The criticism and critiques of these student athletes is down right mean at times. It's not the other kids Im referring to its grown men and women bashing these kids and it got me to thinking where does one draw the line and do you think these kids open themselves up to harsh criticism when they play college sports at the highest level?

Honestly, I struggle with this issue sometimes. I think sometimes people do lose sight of the fact that these still are teenage kids in many cases.

I can tell you this much, I see and hear things I just about every Pitt football game that I would personally never do or say.

I think that’s an especially big problem in a market like Pittsburgh, where we have a pro sports mentality and the way we critique our teams and players doesn’t really change whether are you talking about the professional teams or the amateur teams.

There are definitely things that I would say about a Steeler or a Penguin that I would not say about a Panther based on the fact that some of those people are being paid millions of dollars to perform a job while others are still young kids trying to figure it out. However, for a lot of people, that distinction is meaningless.

That said, I also agree with people who say this is big-time college athletics and with great power comes great responsibility.

You are not at Westminster or Bucknell. You are not at Bethany or Slippery Rock. You are playing big-time college football and you’re getting a lot more attention than most of the kids your age. It is not normal for an 18 or 19-year-old kid to be on national television every week.

Sometimes that attention is not going to be positive and you just have to learn how to deal with that reality.

Do I see and read things that make me cringe? Yes, that happens a lot. However, I also see things from the kids themselves that make me cringe and that could only happen because of the platform they are provided — arguably prematurely.

I guess where I land on this is people need to behave in a way that they would be proud of if their loved ones saw them. If you are behaving in a way that you think might embarrass your spouse or significant other or your parents or even your children, you probably need to pull in the reigns a bit.

I’ve definitely seen and heard things at Pitt games and read things on here that just make me shutter at the persons lack of judgment. However, you’re playing big-time college football and a-hole fans kinda comes with the territory.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
If it weren't for Vietnam, you'd probably still have to be older than 18 to vote.
There's an article circulating today that says the military is studying taking 16 year olds.
You can get married as young as 16 in some states without any kind of parental consent.
You can be tried as an adult in Texas at 14.

But at least keeping the legal age to drink at 21 is preventing high school kids from having beer at parties. :rolleyes:
And it is causing an already overburdened legal system with this nonsense, and forcing young adults a whole lot of BS, $$ and pain over having a drink. It is insane, hell I say it is immoral. People say "well what about them driving...." and my point is "we already have drunken driving laws" .

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT