ADVERTISEMENT

Which coaches would you keep?

PantherO

Freshman
Nov 1, 2004
Just a hypothetical here.....Say HCPN is let go and you are the new guy coming in. You are told when you are hired that you have to keep 2 Assistant Coaches. Which 2 would you keep and why?

NONE unless it's a money issue , then just shut the program down drop a level. I feel like we steal from the ACC with no real effort to compete. This free ride might not last forever, so we better get serious or else

Reactions: PittPoker
Well let’s just say I hope that never occurs. Some guys would jump at anything. But good coaches who have options would tell you to go get bent.

Just a hypothetical here.....Say HCPN is let go and you are the new guy coming in. You are told when you are hired that you have to keep 2 Assistant Coaches. Which 2 would you keep and why?
I get this is a hypothetical, but obviously that should never happen. I'd say the only truly valuable assistant we have is, obviously, Charlie Partridge. I honestly can't even identify who would be the next most valuable. I think they are all guys that other schools would absolutely, "Meh" about if they hired them. Bates as a position coach would be solid, but not as a DC. Powell has experience and a decent reputation, but nothing that stands out.

I’d keep Bates because we really do not know what he’s capable of. I’d also keep Salem because he’s not a program killer.

What stud recruits is he getting or even serviceable?

Who? Powell? He is usually involved with most of the Maryland / DC kids. He recruited Salahuddin, Twyman, Tallandier off the top of my head.

I get that you just want to bitch and rip every coach as incompetent and every player as a bum. But the OP said it is a hypothetical where you have to pick two.

I would hate the thoughts of starting over again. A new HC and In 4 years until he has all his recruited players in place. Over and over again. Remember in 2015 Jim Frank's was on the hot seat too up at state penn. 3 years later he's the best thing in college football, "according to them that is"

No good candidate would accept that condition and shouldn't.

I would say Partridge, Powell, and Salem are the only assistants that have brought something to the table. We need an entire revamp on offense. Harley has been mediocre, Bates should be a positional coach, and I am unaware of any big recruits the new secondary guys have brought in. Everybody talks about the importance of the S&C in the offseason. He might be part of the problem too.

Reactions: cpc247
No coach. Lord of the Flies type of thing would be best. Players come in and play their own brand of ball. Team leaders lead. Maybe we need a strength coach, though. Where is Buddy Morris?

I would say Powell and Salem right now. I would want to give the DBs' coaches time to work with these players, but if I could only take two...

I would get rid of Watson, he has no imagination, his 2nd half play calling is boring compared to his bland 1st half play calling

I'd get rid of all of them and bring back Tim "Ox" Enright. That should help boost attendance...

I would hate the thoughts of starting over again. A new HC and In 4 years until he has all his recruited players in place. Over and over again. Remember in 2015 Jim Frank's was on the hot seat too up at state penn. 3 years later he's the best thing in college football, "according to them that is"
That was his 2nd year and they still had the effects of scholarship limits to deal with when he took over. This is narduzzi’s 4th year and he inherited a lot of offensive talent. If he could ever run a defensive scheme that works we could’ve at the very, very least won the division in 2016. 2017 and 2018 while rebuilding to a degree wouldn’t be nearly this pathetic.

There’s a difference between being average and just not competing with the best, and not even being able to beat one of the worst teams in America. It’s obvious what the problems here are and narduzzi has proven for 4 years now he refuses to even consider making any changes. Nobody wants to start over, and I personally really, really want narduzzi to be the guy here. But it’s just not gonna happen.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT