ADVERTISEMENT

Which hoops team will have the better W-L record next season?

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Last season the Pitt men and the Pitt women each only won 4 ACC games and finished with overall losing records. Men were 16-17; women were 13-17.

IMO, the women will have a winning season, the men will not.

Last season the Pitt men and the Pitt women each only won 4 ACC games and finished with overall losing records. Men were 16-17; women were 13-17.

IMO, the women will have a winning season, the men will not.

Good question.... Pitt women or Pitt men? IMO the women will do well in their OCC games. Their big question is, how well do they do in ACC? They should win a few more
maybe than last year, but if they get to 500 in ACC that would be a step forward.
OTH, the men in my opinion will struggle to win more than a game or two in the ACC,
and should win a few in OCC. IF they get to 500 in OCC and one or two in ACC that
IMO, would be what I expect.

So with that said...the women wins this hypothetical comparison hand down.

Last edited:
Hard to tell without seeing the women's ooc schedule. Last year, they played 4 teams with a pulse, with the rest being cupcakes at home. They lost all 4 tough games. They played Penn St. and Duquesne on the road, so they should have those two at the Pete. Those two games should tell us a lot about the team. That said. I expect both teams to have similar ooc records, but the women will win 4-6 games in the ACC, while I can't see the men winning more than 2-3 games in league play.

They should win a few more
maybe than last year, but if they get to 500 in ACC that would be a step forward.

Well that's the thing. If the Pitt women get to .500 in the ACC they will be at least a borderline top 25 team. The top half of the ACC is just that good. Miami finished in 7th place in the ACC standings last year. They finished 19th in the final coaches poll (they were 16th in both final regular season polls). .500 in the ACC and Pitt is an easy NCAA tournament team, assuming the league is at least close to as good as it was last season. That would be a huge step forward.

It's hard to say until they release the whole schedule, but if I had to guess right now I'd say the women win more. And it might not even be close.

Well that's the thing. If the Pitt women get to .500 in the ACC they will be at least a borderline top 25 team. The top half of the ACC is just that good. Miami finished in 7th place in the ACC standings last year. They finished 19th in the final coaches poll (they were 16th in both final regular season polls). .500 in the ACC and Pitt is an easy NCAA tournament team, assuming the league is at least close to as good as it was last season. That would be a huge step forward.

It's hard to say until they release the whole schedule, but if I had to guess right now I'd say the women win more. And it might not even be close.

I fear it won't be close as well. I worry that single digits in men's hoops is likely.

This is why I feel the Penn St., and Duquesne games will tell a lot. These are home games against very solid, but not great teams. If Pitt can't get at least one (hopefully two) win here, how can you really expect that they will be able to win many games in the ACC?

The men's team will be 24-7 this year. There you have it. So they'll win more than the women's team.

Oh wait.....this is 2017. Sorry....I was having a flashback.

The men's team will be 24-7 this year. There you have it. So they'll win more than the women's team.

Oh wait.....this is 2017. Sorry....I was having a flashback.

Yep. It's pretty sad that the days when we expected our guy's team to finish the entire season including NCAA tourney with only a single digit number in the loss column are over.

Both teams have a ton of question marks surrounding the new players. The women's team gets Yacine Diop (their most athletic player) back from injury, adds some much needed height, and appears to have added some "shooters." Whether they've added some ACC-level "scorers" is yet to be determined.

Coach Suzie lost best player Stasha Carey the previous year, and then lost best player Brenna Wise after last season. She has gone to a couple of overseas players to fill some gaps, and has done better that I expected as far as the backgrounds on the incoming players. The team could be ready to take a nice step forward if they can avoid any season-killing injuries to key players. (And it sure would be nice to end the annual practice of having their best player transfer out....).

I'd agree that the women's team will do better than the men's team this season just because the men's team is such an utter mess.

Go Pitt.

Both teams have a ton of question marks surrounding the new players.

Indeed they do. Which makes that that much worse that they will almost certainly have a better season than the men.

And no matter how many times you guys say it, Stasha Carey was not the best player on the team two years ago. Brenna Wise was. Wise scored more, rebounded more, assisted more, and turned the ball over less.

Indeed they do. Which makes that that much worse that they will almost certainly have a better season than the men.

And no matter how many times you guys say it, Stasha Carey was not the best player on the team two years ago. Brenna Wise was. Wise scored more, rebounded more, assisted more, and turned the ball over less.

I'm the one of the opinion that Carey was the best player two seasons ago. And you made me look at the stats - versus my "eye" test.

Well, you're correct that Wise scored more (10.7 per game vs. 9.7); rebounded more (7.6 per game vs. 6.8), assisted more (44 vs. 41) and turned it over less (74 vs. 82).

On the other hand, Carey's shooting percentage was better (41% to 37%), and 3-point percentage was better (36% to 29%). Carey also had more blocks (48 to 32) and more steals (54 to 31) in a bit less playing time. And she had to play out of position, not really being a center.

I think Carey had more impact on the team because of her being a threat outside and inside. Though she did have some games where you wondered where she was. We can probably agree that the combo of Carey and Wise would have been a formidable pair (especially if they had a true post player to play with) had they stayed and played together at Pitt for two more seasons.

Go Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT