ADVERTISEMENT

Which schools that Pitt doesn’t play, would you like to see come to Heinz Field?

I don't want to see all bad teams, but HELL YES I want some easy, guaranteed wins. And I don't really want guaranteed losses either. Like I'd be OK with an Oklahoma St where it's maybe 50/50, but no, I'm not really interested in seeing a 99% sure blowout loss to 'Bama,
You are correct. Only an idiot would expect an AD to schedule 3-4 Top 20 non-conference opponents on a consistent basis.

Seriously we have two of the weakest P5 teams on our schedule every year. Virginia and Syracuse suck. We don't have a blue blood in our division either so unless Florida State or Clemson is our crossover opponent our conference schedule lacks big-time opponents most years.
You act as though we have been a Top 10 powerhouse program over the past 20 years.

Seriously we have two of the weakest P5 teams on our schedule every year. Virginia and Syracuse suck. We don't have a blue blood in our division either so unless Florida State or Clemson is our crossover opponent our conference schedule lacks big-time opponents most years.
amen, I agree. that's why I laugh when some pitt fans talk about this killer schedule of ours with two good P5 OOC opponents like ok state and psu and they act like we have it soo tough, much more than any other P5 school. go onto any SEC or even Big 10 football board and brag about this schedule, having to face 2 top 10 teams. they'd laugh.. I mean, literally laugh at you.

That's GOOD! maybe we can eek out an appearance in the ACC Title game someday because of that! I like that. I don't dislike it, that's for sure.

amen, I agree. that's why I laugh when some pitt fans talk about this killer schedule of ours with two good P5 OOC opponents like ok state and psu and they act like we have it soo tough, much more than any other P5 school. go onto any SEC or even Big 10 football board and brag about this schedule, having to face 2 top 10 teams. they'd laugh.. I mean, literally laugh at you.
I do not remember anyone discussing this as you state. It is always phrased as a tough OOC schedule. Which it is. Touted as such my many publications etc. Funny, last time I checked Miami was considered a blue blood...

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I will re-watch it on TV (barring a disaster of course). the rice game, when Root re-airs it on sunday evening, well i'll be watching something else.

I re-watch wins only, never losses, opponent doesn't matter.

I re-watch wins only, never losses, opponent doesn't matter.
so if you are just as happy beating ysu as you would be beating psu?? I have a hard time believing that. IF it's true well then yes, I guess playing the worst 12 teams as possible would be your motivation.

You're joking right? A big 10 school laughing at our schedule? The B10 has some of the worse P5 programs in the nation. Purdue Rutgers Illinois are terrible and guaranteed wins. Others like Nebraska and Minnesota are pretty mediocre. Extremely overrated conference

what difference does it make?

Pederson scheduled home games with Mich State, Tex A & M, Nebraska and there still were 20,000 yellow seats.

Our fan base sucks....and quite frankly....except for the diehard fans on this message board, Pittsburgh doesnt deserve a game against Bama, or Florida or USC.....

You nitter trolls are quite amusing

You're joking right? A big 10 school laughing at our schedule? The B10 has some of the worse P5 programs in the nation. Purdue Rutgers Illinois are terrible and guaranteed wins. Others like Nebraska and Minnesota are pretty mediocre. Extremely overrated conference
ok, good point. SEC then. my point is playing 2 teams in pre season top 10 isn't exactly unprecedented.

Of course not, but I'd re-watch a win over YSU rather than a loss to PSU.
I wouldn't watch either. although the UNC - Pitt game was on TV not too long ago as was the Pitt v. Iowa game from 2 years ago on the big 10 channel. I watched both, up until end when I turned the channel..

but you are missing the point, we already have easy wins, many of them, on our schedule. I am not gonna say "guaranteed" because nohing is guaranteed. I will say that we have a schedule littered with mediocrity.. I agree with you on Bama, I scream about harder schedule but even I want no parts of bama..

I know that I will be pumped beyond belief, all week long, leading into that pitt-Ok state matchup. I won't be able to sleep the night before.. The week or night before pitt vs. rice, i'll sleep fine.. maybe that makes me a bad fan. I know I will be at the game and after, I will re-watch it on TV (barring a disaster of course). the rice game, when Root re-airs it on sunday evening, well i'll be watching something else.

Duke, UVA, Syracuse all should be wins year in, year out.

Reactions: Swervin27
Pitt did not, by any means, give FSU a tough game. They won by 28 points! Jameis Winston tore Pitt's defense to shreds. Most dominant performance I've ever seen in person. He had two incompletions, and I think both of them were drops if I'm remembering correctly.

Seeing how FSU's scores the rest of the year were 62-7, 54-6, 48-34, 63-0, 51-14, 49-17, 41-14, 59-3, 59-3 again, 80-14, 37-7, 45-7, and 34-31, yes Pitt did give FSU a tougher game than most that year. I doubt in many other games FSU trailed and Pitt scored first vs FSU on their first possession.

You could pretty much keep us bowl eligible at 6-6 with this schedule. I'd rather schedule at least a few guaranteed wins to artificially stay at 8-4 or better.

It kind of baffles me how people seem to rather want to see some stud team come to town and blow Pitt out than see a win? FSU in '13 was horrible, a bad memory. I'd rather watch then beat YSU than get pummeled like they did that day.

That sounds to me as if you would like to see Pitt in the Big 10.

The reason they want a 9 game conference schedule is to pad the win record of the better teams.

Seeing how FSU's scores the rest of the year were 62-7, 54-6, 48-34, 63-0, 51-14, 49-17, 41-14, 59-3, 59-3 again, 80-14, 37-7, 45-7, and 34-31, yes Pitt did give FSU a tougher game than most that year. I doubt in many other games FSU trailed and Pitt scored first vs FSU on their first possession.
That's like going to one of the guys who Mike Tyson knocked out after 25 seconds and saying he gave him his toughest fight just because the last 5 guys got knocked out in 12 seconds.

You act as though we have been a Top 10 powerhouse program over the past 20 years.
Sorry wanting to see Pitt play one premiere program per season doesn't seem ridiculous. I'm not asking for Bama and LSU on the OOC every year but schedule one tough OOC game a year, especially in years we don't have FSU or Clemson.

Harde to find a program that Pitt doesn't play r have some exposure already. Florida, GA, Va, off and on in Ohio with Cincy. But for me, USC being a top 5 program coming in is the best.

Sorry wanting to see Pitt play one premiere program per season doesn't seem ridiculous. I'm not asking for Bama and LSU on the OOC every year but schedule one tough OOC game a year, especially in years we don't have FSU or Clemson.
We are playing 2 Top 10 opponents in the nonconference this year, so what is your issue? These schedules are made years in advance, and it is impossible to guarantee who will or won't be in the Top 10 six years from now. A 4-8 Texas is not going to move the needle much.

That sounds to me as if you would like to see Pitt in the Big 10.

The reason they want a 9 game conference schedule is to pad the win record of the better teams.
Going 9-3 vs. crappy teams is better than playing a ton of great teams an going 7-5, sorry, it's true, they'll rank you beating YSU and New Hampshire and being 9-3 substitute Wisconsin and Georgia and be 7-5 you won't see a ranking.

We are playing 2 Top 10 opponents in the nonconference this year, so what is your issue? These schedules are made years in advance, and it is impossible to guarantee who will or won't be in the Top 10 six years from now. A 4-8 Texas is not going to move the needle much.
I like this year's schedule. My issue is with the people who whine about it.

Reactions: PITTDC
That's like going to one of the guys who Mike Tyson knocked out after 25 seconds and saying he gave him his toughest fight just because the last 5 guys got knocked out in 12 seconds.

Valid point, but that guy who got knocked out in 25 seconds also landed the first blow against Tyson. Just goes to show how good Florida State was that year.

Don't forget Maryland and Indiana are rent-a-beatings too...

Everyone in the SE conference but Vanderbilt, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona St., Nebraska, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas.

I've seen most of the games featuring P5 teams in Pittsburgh for the last 45 years, so I'd have to pick Auburn #1 and Wisconsin #2 since they haven't been to town. I'd also want to make the trip to their stadium and both are highly rated experiences.

Camp really needs to start because these diversion threads really get to be exasperating.

We're always going to have the same kind of OOC. One 1AA game, One lower tier Div 1, a MAC-ish game we'll infuriartingly have to play on the road every other year, and maybe one interesting one now and then.

I'd like to see exotics like USC or Texas or Florida as much as anyone, or even games that actually make some sense and would be easy for both sides to play, like series with Ohio State or Michigan, but they simply ain't gonna happen. Things are too tightly slotted and oddly, we're not either crappy enough or elite enough to be appealing to play for those more glamorous teams.

Pitt's a hum drum, ho hum program in every sense and Pitt's administration is fine with that. Why, I dunno. I really don't know why they bother. But that's our lot. We 40,000 core fans will reliably show up for it, hardly anyone else will, the program will teeter on the line of break even, and they're fine with that.

Keep in mind Pitt is in a real football conference only for the last 4 years. Yes Pitt played eastern rivals and on occasion programs from other areas. Pitt actually has had really good OCC teams come in. for me, Texas, USC and Washington/Stanford would be nice.

meh, i think youre probably just used to the schedule. VT and Miami are both a big enough name that most programs would be excited to play them even though theyve been mediocre the last few years.

all conferences are gonna have teams like UVA CUSE WF etc.

Overall i think PITT does pretty well with their schedule most years. Usually one decent non con opponent (ND usually) Iowa a few years in a row, utah, etc. plus a decent conference slate (the u, vt, gt, UNC) . This years is probably a bit harder then id like them to schedule OOC.

If Pitt played Rice last year instead of OK ST they finish the year 9-3 probably ranked and it looks even better.

ADVERTISEMENT