ADVERTISEMENT

While Waiting for the Next Commits........

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
where are we now? Obviously we are still an unfinished product at this time.
The guard position is IMO a little ahead of where we were last year at the
start of the season. We have two new freshmen, one who is very highly rated;
Davis who now has some experience; and Aiken who,should be able to help
in a limited way. Frame can also play guard, but IMO is more suited to the
small forward role. Inside we are really lacking at this point. Browne has potential,
but is nowhere near ready to play starter minutes. He should be better than last
year due to coaching, weight training and experience. Stephenson...same thing,
probably better due to experience and coaching, but he shouldn't be starting. Iggy and
George are marginal players at best, and should have been redshirtted if it were a
normal situation. We are in dire need of help on the inside, and I'd expect to see
maybe two grad transfers there. Capel could then go after a few legitimate Bigs
in 2019.
So, at this point in time, what we have now would be competitive with last year's
team at the beginning of their season. Luther would probably be the big difference
on the inside, whereas this year's guards would be slightly better. On the other hand,
a game like this just might send Bball back a hundred years.....LOL.
Obviously I realize that Capel is still putting this team together, and I'm hoping to
see some more real additions.

Unless something changes, Johnson is going to play starter minutes at PG. Since last year's team didn't have an actual PG- this has to be an improvement.

small forward role. Inside we are really lacking at this point. Browne has potential,
but is nowhere near ready to play starter minutes. He should be better than last
probably better due to experience and coaching, but he shouldn't be starting. Iggy and
George are marginal players at best, and should have been redshirtted if it were a
normal situation. We are in dire need of help on the inside, and I'd expect to see
in 2019.
So, at this point in time, what we have now would be competitive with last year's
team at the beginning of their season. Luther would probably be the big difference
on the inside, whereas this year's guards would be slightly better. On the other hand,
Obviously I realize that Capel is still putting this team together, and I'm hoping to
I'm looking for Capel to get two grad transfer bigs, who can play right away and contribute at a marginally decent level. Then they'll be gone after next season, not tying up any schollies for more talented 2019 bigs.

We need help at the 3 thru 5 positions going forward, We have 4 guards who can play, and not much else. Frame is starting his last year of eligibility, so he gives us the same short term help that a grad transfer gives us. Other than that, I suspect that none of the other guys in the 3-5 positions will be starters in two years.

I'm looking for Capel to get two grad transfer bigs, who can play right away and contribute at a marginally decent level. Then they'll be gone after next season, not tying up any schollies for more talented 2019 bigs.

We need help at the 3 thru 5 positions going forward, We have 4 guards who can play, and not much else. Frame is starting his last year of eligibility, so he gives us the same short term help that a grad transfer gives us. Other than that, I suspect that none of the other guys in the 3-5 positions will be starters in two years.
Problem is the list of grad transfer bigs who could help us at an ACC level this year is very very slim. I'm not even sure there is one.

Reactions: cabe23
Problem is the list of grad transfer bigs who could help us at an ACC level this year is very very slim. I'm not even sure there is one.

IMHO, all we now need for this coming season to be respectable is a strong defensive rebounder. He doesn't even need to be a scorer. He just needs to keep our opponents off the offensive boards. Hopefully someone, somewhere can somehow be found with that much skill.

IMHO, all we now need for this coming season to be respectable is a strong defensive rebounder. He doesn't even need to be a scorer. He just needs to keep our opponents off the offensive boards. Hopefully someone, somewhere can somehow be found with that much skill.
It actually is hard to find because so many bigs do not focus on those skills and if they did, they probably would have better 1 year options.

in 2019.

-I dont get the Luther thing. He missed the last 22 games of the season. You could call him a starter last year except he missed almost the entire season. Compare the rosters without Luther, since he didnt play 1 second in ACC play.

-I dont get the Luther thing. He missed the last 22 games of the season. You could call him a starter last year except he missed almost the entire season. Compare the rosters without Luther, since he didnt play 1 second in ACC play.

If you re read the post, you'll see that the comparison of this year's incoming group was being compared to last year "at the beginning of the season." Obviously I
know that Luther missed most of the season.The comparison was apples and
apples not apples and oranges.

Luther has become to Pitt basketball what Paul Bunyan is to lumberjacks...a larger than life yet mythical figure who can do no wrong.
I wish him well, but his stature grows by his absence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT