ADVERTISEMENT

Who exactly are we recruiting?

Pittnerski

Freshman
Sep 11, 2013
I know the dead period and all... but I can only name two Hail Mary recruits (Efton Reid and JHS - reclassify), the transfer PG from FIU and the 6’8” kid from Germany who we are recruiting.

Recruiting has been unusually silent especially for a team with 4-5 open scholarships.

Anyone else we’re in on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
I know the dead period and all... but I can only name two Hail Mary recruits (Edith Reid and JHS - reclassify),

MV5BZDYxMDI0YzgtZGE3NC00OWM3LWI5ZjAtYzRmYTc2ZjZjY2IzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzgwNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I know the dead period and all... but I can only name two Hail Mary recruits (Edith Reid and JHS - reclassify), the transfer PG from FIU and the 6’8” kid from Germany who we are recruiting.

Recruiting has been unusually silent especially for a team with 4-5 open scholarships.

Anyone else we’re in on?
That's the million dollar question.

I know the dead period and all... but I can only name two Hail Mary recruits (Edith Reid and JHS - reclassify), the transfer PG from FIU and the 6’8” kid from Germany who we are recruiting.

Anyone else we’re in on?
Well, if you aren't familiar with this site: it doesn't list players in the transfer portal, but Pitt does have 19 offers extended to kids in the 2022 class.
A scholarship matrix

Additionally, I don't think anyone knows what is going on with Efton Reid. However, neither Verbal Commits nor 24/7 show Pitt still in the picture. That said, Virginia is at the top of the board on 24/7, but I am unaware of many UVa followers who believe Reid will pick Virginia.

Last edited:
Literally just about every mid-major senior is going to try to transfer up. Its going to be like nothing you've ever seen. We will probably offer like 30-50 transfers for 6-7 spots.
This has to be why the staff has basically punted on ‘21 kids and are focused on ‘22 high school grads. There are going to be a ton of transfer options this off-season.

Literally just about every mid-major senior is going to try to transfer up. Its going to be like nothing you've ever seen. We will probably offer like 30-50 transfers for 6-7 spots.

I am sure we will get at least two high school kids, but we are gonna have 4-5 spots between transfers, Jucos, Euros...who knows. There will be multiple new names every day.

The NYC PG Brantley seems like a logical first one to get. We need at least two guards, two wings, and two bigs. Maybe even three bigs.

Reactions: cabe23
This has to be why the staff has basically punted on ‘21 kids and are focused on ‘22 high school grads. There are going to be a ton of transfer options this off-season.

Punted?
Or struck out?
Whoever they've been trying to recruit doesn't appear to be interested.
It's high on the list called: "Things that worry me about HCJC"

In other words, we need an ark full of good players!

Next assistant coach, Noah!

It will certainly be interesting to compare what Stallings brought in when he had the mega class after 2015-2016, and this group. Stallings had the advantage of having a full year to bring in I think 9 players (Carr, Stewart, Brown, Frame, Davis, George, Peace, Boykins, Stevenson - am I forgetting anyone?). Capel has the advantage of not being Stallings when he brings in his 6-7 players.

I also wonder whether he will be reluctant to go the re-class route after the 2018 guys are all gone and Jeffress was clearly not even close to ready this season.

I think he’d be more inclined to bring in reclassified 22 kids... worked out for Champ and if you’re being honest the free year for Jeffress was 100x more beneficial than his last year T McDowell. Plus slim pickings left in the top 150 for 21

I think he’d be more inclined to bring in reclassified 22 kids... worked out for Champ and if you’re being honest the free year for Jeffress was 100x more beneficial than his last year T McDowell. Plus slim pickings left in the top 150 for 21

I think we bring in at least 2 HS kids whether they be reaches, reclasses, or guys that decommit due to a coaching change.

Punted?
Or struck out?
Whoever they've been trying to recruit doesn't appear to be interested.
It's high on the list called: "Things that worry me about HCJC"
Yeah... “punting” on 21 kids is certainly an interesting way to categorize either not understand their scholarship situation or striking out on every 21 recruit.

Yeah... “punting” on 21 kids is certainly an interesting way to categorize either not understand their scholarship situation or striking out on every 21 recruit.

Yes, there’s no way that they made a conscious decision not to pursue anyone in 2021. No one just “punts” on a class, especially when you need a talent infusion like we do.

I caught one of the local guys doing a Q&A after the game yesterday and lauded Capel’s talent adjudication as a reason for optimism with so many spots open. I wish I shared that optimistic view on the guys Capel has brought in. It’s harder to do with so many transfers, but programs should really strive for balance in their class numbers. If you’re having to bring in 4-5 + guys every year, it’s really hard to build culture/cohesion in a group.

My thought is it was a situation where they didn’t land their top targets for 2021, and they held off on moving further down the list because they’re betting on hitting the transfer market. It’s not a punt, but it seems clear that no matter how many scholarships we have, we seem to only be looking at bringing in 1-2 high school guys for 2021 max and filling in the rest of the spaces with transfers.

I know in football a lot of programs intentionally had smaller 2021 high school classes because they planned on grabbing more guys than usual from the portal, and all of your 2020 kids are going to be freshmen next year, too. Especially since it’s been harder this cycle to get your eyes on guys.

Make no mistake - if they had landed a Jordan Hawkins, Malaki Branham, or Aminu Muhammed, they wouldn’t have turned them down and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. But when they lost those guys, I do think a decision was made to focus more on the transfers versus resetting the board at the high school level, and I think that has more to do with the weirdness of the 2021 cycle. I don’t know if that’ll turn out to be a dumb idea or not, but I can see the potential logic in thinking that the portal and college tape is a safer bet for 2021 than a HS kid who is lower on your board who you might have not seen play with your own eyes.

My thought is it was a situation where they didn’t land their top targets for 2021, and they held off on moving further down the list because they’re betting on hitting the transfer market. It’s not a punt, but it seems clear that no matter how many scholarships we have, we seem to only be looking at bringing in 1-2 high school guys for 2021 max and filling in the rest of the spaces with transfers.

I know in football a lot of programs intentionally had smaller 2021 high school classes because they planned on grabbing more guys than usual from the portal, and all of your 2020 kids are going to be freshmen next year, too. Especially since it’s been harder this cycle to get your eyes on guys.

Make no mistake - if they had landed a Jordan Hawkins, Malaki Branham, or Aminu Muhammed, they wouldn’t have turned them down and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. But when they lost those guys, I do think a decision was made to focus more on the transfers versus resetting the board at the high school level, and I think that has more to do with the weirdness of the 2021 cycle. I don’t know if that’ll turn out to be a dumb idea or not, but I can see the potential logic in thinking that the portal and college tape is a safer bet for 2021 than a HS kid who is lower on your board who you might have not seen play with your own eyes.

Its not "that" much harder to get your eyes on players. There is plenty of talent out there in 2022, tons of it, especially guard and wing talent in our recruiting territory.

The 2021 class is really down. Ive said this multiple times for over a year. I posted a link to the director of the 247 recruiting website saying it and some people still don't believe either of us.

Duke and Kentucky are historically bad this year and they have 5 total players committed in 2021. Kansas is also really down historically this year. You don't think there is something going on when the top coaches at some of the top programs in the entire country has these recruiting numbers from the 2021 class when their programs are really down this year?

Duke-2 players committed
Kansas- 2 players committed
Kentucky-3 players committed

Texas Tech-1 player committed

What is that telling you? You don't think if Duke was interested, they would have ripped off and stole all the talent going to say, Georgetown, with their Top 10 recruiting class in 2021? Duke didn't want it, and neither did Kentucky.

The 2021 class is weak with weak overall depth. It is what it is.

The 2022 class is far better and deeper. There are multiple quality talents in 2022 that are eligible to reclass to 2021 that are still on the table for Pitt.

And Ill also throw this in there. I could give you 10 names of players "from" New York a lone that we are recruiting. That's right, at least 10 players we either offered or are still scouting from New York a lone in 2022.

Of the names Ive mentioned in the past from New York a lone, the Filipowski brothers, Silas Sunday, Jaquan Sanders, Jayden Pierre, that's 5 right there. I could easily give you 5 more names from New York a lone we are recruiting.

We are going to have a strong guard and wing class in 2022. I'm very confident in that. The frontcourt is more TBD because of the guys we are recruiting that I know of, a lot of them are either in high demand now or will be in very high demand in the future. Landing those players are going to be tough and that is unfortunately what we really need to get this team to the next level. As I said in the past, we'll see. Im most concerned landing a legit Center. We do have a legit chance with multiple "stud" power forwards.

There are a lot of really quality intriguing options in 2022 at guard and wing. In New York, and in some of our other recruiting territories. There is a kid from Maryland that is way under the radar and really good for example that I would consider a home run recruit.

This program currently has some talent. But we need more talent to really improve our starting 5 and depth, especially in the frontcourt. Its there for the taking in 2022, reclass or not. Capel just needs to land them.

You don't think if Duke was interested, they would have ripped off and stole all the talent going to say, Georgetown, with their Top 10 recruiting class in 2021? Duke didn't want it, and neither did Kentucky.

Do you think Pitt would have taken any of these Top 30 classes or aren't those players Capel material? These are some legendary programs here:

6. Memphis
9. Creighton
11. Gtown
14. Colorado
15. Stanford
16. GT
17. UNLV
18. Alabama
19. Dayton
20. Miami
21. Marquette
22. NC State
25. Buzz
26. Nebraska
27. SHU
28. DePaul
353. Pitt

To call 2021 HS recruiting anything but an all-time failure is lying.

Do you think Pitt would have taken any of these Top 30 classes or aren't those players Capel material? These are some legendary programs here:

6. Memphis
9. Creighton
11. Gtown
14. Colorado
15. Stanford
16. GT
17. UNLV
18. Alabama
19. Dayton
20. Miami
21. Marquette
22. NC State
25. Buzz
26. Nebraska
27. SHU
28. DePaul
353. Pitt

To call 2021 HS recruiting anything but an all-time failure is lying.

I think he should stick with 2022 and potential reclass candidates instead of adding another Noah Collier type who isn't ready to contribute as a freshmen or longer. Its ok to have a couple development players in the program like Collier or Max in the frontcourt since frontcourt players take a lot longer to develop. Not half a teams worth., however.

Ive said this multiple times. There is zero excuse, none, not to have a major talent haul in 2022 with the options available in our recruiting grounds. And Ive also said, its there for the taking.

I think he should stick with 2022 and potential reclass candidates instead of adding another Noah Collier type who isn't ready to contribute as a freshmen or longer. Its ok to have a couple development players in the program like Collier or Max in the frontcourt since frontcourt players take a lot longer to develop. Not half a teams worth., however.

Ive said this multiple times. There is zero excuse, none, not to have a major talent haul in 2022 with the options available in our recruiting grounds. And Ive also said, its there for the taking.

So I take it that you think Pitt wouldn't take Creighton or SHU or DePaul's class right now if they could and Capel was very smart to try to not land a Top 25 class

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Its not "that" much harder to get your eyes on players. There is plenty of talent out there in 2022, tons of it, especially guard and wing talent in our recruiting territory.

The 2021 class is really down. Ive said this multiple times for over a year. I posted a link to the director of the 247 recruiting website saying it and some people still don't believe either of us.

Duke and Kentucky are historically bad this year and they have 5 total players committed in 2021. Kansas is also really down historically this year. You don't think there is something going on when the top coaches at some of the top programs in the entire country has these recruiting numbers from the 2021 class when their programs are really down this year?

Duke-2 players committed
Kansas- 2 players committed
Kentucky-3 players committed

Texas Tech-1 player committed

What is that telling you? You don't think if Duke was interested, they would have ripped off and stole all the talent going to say, Georgetown, with their Top 10 recruiting class in 2021? Duke didn't want it, and neither did Kentucky.

The 2021 class is weak with weak overall depth. It is what it is.

The 2022 class is far better and deeper. There are multiple quality talents in 2022 that are eligible to reclass to 2021 that are still on the table for Pitt.

And Ill also throw this in there. I could give you 10 names of players "from" New York a lone that we are recruiting. That's right, at least 10 players we either offered or are still scouting from New York a lone in 2022.

Of the names Ive mentioned in the past from New York a lone, the Filipowski brothers, Silas Sunday, Jaquan Sanders, Jayden Pierre, that's 5 right there. I could easily give you 5 more names from New York a lone we are recruiting.

We are going to have a strong guard and wing class in 2022. I'm very confident in that. The frontcourt is more TBD because of the guys we are recruiting that I know of, a lot of them are either in high demand now or will be in very high demand in the future. Landing those players are going to be tough and that is unfortunately what we really need to get this team to the next level. As I said in the past, we'll see. Im most concerned landing a legit Center. We do have a legit chance with multiple "stud" power forwards.

There are a lot of really quality intriguing options in 2022 at guard and wing. In New York, and in some of our other recruiting territories. There is a kid from Maryland that is way under the radar and really good for example that I would consider a home run recruit.

This program currently has some talent. But we need more talent to really improve our starting 5 and depth, especially in the frontcourt. Its there for the taking in 2022, reclass or not. Capel just needs to land them.

A couple things about your post...

I completely believe you that the 2021 class stinks. But when you are recruiting, you’re recruiting relative to the rest of the talent in your class. So it makes no sense to me what you’re saying about just passing up on this class because they aren’t good. Having the number 25 prospect in the 2021 class who maybe is 50 in a normal class is a helluva lot better than having nobody at all or some Ivy league transfer like Maia.

Two, you keep talking about 2022 but Pitt’s program is going to sink or swim based on what happens next year. If we go something like 3-17 in the ACC, he’s not landing a bunch of studs going into Year 5 with most of the fanbase ready to fire him. There needs to be much, much more urgency on landing a couple high school players for this class and some transfers.

So I take it that you think Pitt wouldn't take Creighton or SHU or DePaul's class right now if they could and Capel was very smart to try to not land a Top 25 class

I agree with you here SMF. His point makes no sense. The class stinks but those are the prospects available, I’d still rather have the better stinky prospects than nothing.

Reactions: WannyandWalt

I completely believe you that the 2021 class stinks. But when you are recruiting, you’re recruiting relative to the rest of the talent in your class. So it makes no sense to me what you’re saying about just passing up on this class because they aren’t good. Having the number 25 prospect in the 2021 class who maybe is 50 in a normal class is a helluva lot better than having nobody at all or some Ivy league transfer like Maia.

Two, you keep talking about 2022 but Pitt’s program is going to sink or swim based on what happens next year. If we go something like 3-17 in the ACC, he’s not landing a bunch of studs going into Year 5 with most of the fanbase ready to fire him. There needs to be much, much more urgency on landing a couple high school players for this class and some transfers.
Correct - Capel must bring in 4-5 players for next year’s team and better have 1-2 good players signed this November for the ‘22 class. If that doesn’t happen, then we aren’t going to all of a sudden land a bunch of studs in the Spring of ‘22.

Most of these kids moved up substantially in the rankings already because of the mass 2021 exodus from last year with players from 2021 that reclassed down to 2020. We had a 6 man class in 2020.

People keep saying how "bad" things are and its all Capel.

Jeff Capel didn't anticipate John Hugley committing multiple felonies before playing a game.

He also didn't anticipate Odukale colliding with a car and breaking his arm and missing months of preseason practice and conditioning time before playing a single game.

He also didnt anticipate Toney getting in a car accident and being lost for the season anyway with a concussion.

He also didn't anticipate Jeffress missing 5 weeks in the preseason because of injury.

He also didn't anticipate waiting for Nike midseason to get cleared to play when almost every other transfer was cleared from the get go. Then he had to wait because of Covid.

Then our Coach came down with Covid.

There is such a thing as bad luck. But not when it involves almost every impact player we expected to help this year and the bad cards here included the entire playing hand.

Capel is at fault too. Had we secured Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander from New York this team pushes for the NCAA Tournament this year and we should have had both of them.

You saw already what Champ and Odukale bring to the table. Sleep on NY talent at your own peril. Ill wait for it in 2022 if I must wait. And I dont care what these other programs recruited in 2021. The main miss that SMF is pointing to is Brandon Weston from New York. That's it.

Last edited:
Most of these kids moved up substantially in the rankings already because of the mass 2021 exodus from last year with players from 2021 that reclassed down to 2020. We had a 6 man class in 2020.

Jeff Capel didn't anticipate John Hugley committing multiple felonies before playing a game.

He also didn't anticipate Odukale colliding with a car and breaking his arm and missing months of preseason practice and conditioning time before playing a single game.

He also didnt anticipate Toney getting in a car accident and being lost for the season anyway with a concussion.

He also didn't anticipate Jeffress missing 5 weeks in the preseason because of injury.

He also didn't anticipate waiting for Nike midseason to get cleared to play when almost every other transfer was cleared from the get go. Then he had to wait because of Covid.

There is such a thing as bad luck. But not when it involves almost every impact player we expected to help this year and the bad cards here included the entire playing hand.

Capel isnt at fault. Had we secured Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander from New York this team pushes for the NCAA Tournament this year and we should have had both of them.

You saw already what Champ and Odukale bring to the table. Sleep on NY talent at your own peril. Ill wait for it in 2022 if I must wait. And I dont care what these other programs recruited in 2021. The main miss that SMF is pointing to is Brandon Weston from New York. That's it.
Jeff should hire you to do his excuse making, that way he would not get reprimanded.

Your record is what your record is.

How much did all you list prevent us from beating the Cuse twice and Duke?

Capel isnt at fault. Had we secured Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander from New York this team pushes for the NCAA Tournament this year and we should have had both of them.

I’m 100% with you on this year. Weird year and there were some positives.

But none of those things prevent us from having a single 2021 recruit.

And you say Capel isn’t at fault but then talk about how we should have had Posh and Julian... he’s the one who didn’t take them.

I just really do not understand how you’re insinuating we basically just punt next season and hope the year after is good... for a program with 5 poor seasons in a row at this point, that seems like not a very good idea.

Unfortunately, they always fail to realize they’re not even in the discussion for guys like Branham and Mohammed and then have to scramble late for diamond in the rough type guys. It’s pretty much why they won’t be successful here.

I’m 100% with you on this year. Weird year and there were some positives.

But none of those things prevent us from having a single 2021 recruit.

And you say Capel isn’t at fault but then talk about how we should have had Posh and Julian... he’s the one who didn’t take them.

I just really do not understand how you’re insinuating we basically just punt next season and hope the year after is good... for a program with 5 poor seasons in a row at this point, that seems like not a very good idea.
Spot on

So whose fault is it that he didn’t secure Posh and Julian?

Christ your spin is unbelievable. And inconsistent.

Lol. This is possibly the funniest post in Lair history. “Bad luck”. Fool me once...

Just 3 and soon to be 4 years of bad luck! Maybe they’ll come up with another witty slogan everyone will buy into that next year is the year! Uncommon courage! Brick by brick!

I also wonder whether he will be reluctant to go the re-class route after the 2018 guys are all gone and Jeffress was clearly not even close to ready this season.
I'm starting to view the reliance on reclassifications like the way Neal Huntington approached his MLB drafts. All the enlightened fans were eager to praise how smart and different his style was. Eventually you start to look around at what talent actually came out of it, and realize it's smoke and mirrors and you still suck.

I'm starting to view the reliance on reclassifications like the way Neal Huntington approached his MLB drafts. All the enlightened fans were eager to praise how smart and different his style was. Eventually you start to look around at what talent actually came out of it, and realize it's smoke and mirrors and you still suck.
Just wait til every transfer we get it Jesus reincarnated. People sure turned on Horton quick.

Reactions: TheLogicalTake
I railed against that for years.

You take the best players available at the top.

You Dont save money at the top in order to spend more at the bottom.

What was supposed to be the upside of Capel as a HC? I thought he was supposed to have strength at recruiting? Or is he hamstrung by the Egg Heads and not able to use the tactics to recruit that he did in the past?

Lol. This is possibly the funniest post in Lair history. “Bad luck”. Fool me once...

Just 3 and soon to be 4 years of bad luck! Maybe they’ll come up with another witty slogan everyone will buy into that next year is the year! Uncommon courage! Brick by brick!

It’s unbelievable. Coming Next is a semi manifesto word salad. Or should I say another one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT