ADVERTISEMENT

Who will call Pitt games?

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004
If Hillgrove is let go after his DUI, who will call Pitt football and basketball games?

Are their any Pitt alums in broadcasting out there?

I enjoy listening to Hillgrove and often listen to him rather than the ACCn broadcasters when watching away games. Also can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. If I were broadcasting Pitt football over the last 30 years I’d probably have a drinking problem too.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
No matter when it happens this is a good question. Right now Pittsburgh has some terrible play-by-play announcers.

Reactions: TheFormula
If Hillgrove is let go after his DUI, who will call Pitt football and basketball games?

I enjoy listening to Hillgrove and often listen to him rather than the ACCn broadcasters when watching away games. Also can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. If I were broadcasting Pitt football over the last 30 years I’d probably have a drinking problem too.

I'd like to see and hear the Billy bashers give it a go..

Reactions: wbrpanther

ROB KING

Well, other than going "outside" to bring in a guy, maybe make Pat Bostick the play by play announcer and bring back Billy Osborn for color commentator?

Funny you mention Osborn. Bostick is ok but if I were to listen to the radio more often I always come back to Osborn who I’d prefer in the color seat. I don’t see Bostick doing play by play but who knows.

As far as play by play I honestly have no idea who is out there. Hell maybe there’s someone who does PSAC games that is capable of a step up. So I don’t think going outside is a bad idea at all.

But I did have to listen a few times here and there and I think Richert is dreadful.

Reactions: PantherRoy
Rob King would be good but I don’t think the Steelers will want to use the same person as Pitt does. Sometimes there are scheduling conflicts.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Rob is a nice guy and a true professional, but he is a little too monotone for my taste and his highlight calls (like a touchdown or a slam dunk) don’t really have the pizzazz or excitement that a guy like Hillgrove (in his prime) could deliver. Remember that Rob has spent his career as a teleprompter reader and not a PxP announcer. Studio work and staring into a camera is his profession. Doing play by play isn’t always transferable. That said, give me King over Hathhorn any day. Hathhorn is like listening to paint dry. Personally, I would hope that Pitt goes outside the Pittsburgh media bubble to make their next hire. There are some really talented people at other schools with great voices and great calls. If you listen to games on Sirius XM you hear it all over the country.

Rob King would be good but I don’t think the Steelers will want to use the same person as Pitt does. Sometimes there are scheduling conflicts.
Where is is written that Pitt and dum stullers must have the same play by play guy.

Hillgrove shouldn't be let go. He should be put in a substance abuse program for his well being and the communities. Saying that, Bill Hillgrove is 79 years old and will turn 80 this November !! They need to develop a contingency plan now for him and transition him into a fund raising / special events role over the next 3 years.

Bill Hillgrove has been an integral part of Pitt Football and Basketball and Pitt needs to respect this and treat him with the dignity he has EARNED. As someone said, having to watch Mark Nordenber and Steve Pederson ( twice ) trash Pitt football would be enough to make the best man an alcoholic.

Hillgrove shouldn't be let go. He should be put in a substance abuse program for his well being and the communities. Saying that, Bill Hillgrove is 79 years old and will turn 80 this November !! They need to develop a contingency plan now for him and transition him into a fund raising / special events role over the next 3 years.

Bill Hillgrove has been an integral part of Pitt Football and Basketball and Pitt needs to respect this and treat him with the dignity he has EARNED. As someone said, having to watch Mark Nordenber and Steve Pederson ( twice ) trash Pitt football would be enough to make the best man an alcoholic.
Do you think the fact that Hillgrove frequently publically alludes to his drinking makes it more likely he will be immediately dismissed?

treat him with the dignity he has EARNED.
Dignity, you say?

He lost all dignity after crashing that car, when he made a decision to get back in the car and drive off.

Some will say that he first lost dignity when he decided to get behind the wheel after drinking.

Some will say that he made a mistake and deserves another chance.

This was a series of bad decisions that I don't think can be overlooked. It's not like he's a young guy just starting out. This is an 80yr old man that's had a successful career and should gracefully bow out.

Reactions: ninetime
Regardless of what happens with this incident, both Pitt and the Steelers are going to have to begin to contemplate their succession plan. Honestly, that was true before this incident, and it’s definitely true now.

Personally, I highly doubt that one person will again have all three of those jobs. That is incredibly rare and speaks to both Hillgrove’s talent and his power, quite frankly.

I think it’s much more likely that three different people will fill those roles. However, I could see a scenario in which one man calls Pitt football and basketball games and the other one does Steelers games.

It would seem that Larry Richert is the betting favorite to do the Pitt football games and maybe the basketball games too. That’s not totally crazy because Richert has an amazing voice and a close connection to the market and university. He also has an exemplary reputation as being a very kind man — kinda like Hillgrove.

I have listened to a few games that Richert has called and frankly, it’s a big step down from Hillgrove, even at this stage in their respective careers. Larry just lacks the natural feel for the game that an experienced pro like Hillgrove still has. Also, you never doubt Hillgrove’s knowledge of the game or the situation, whereas with Richert, I’m not so sure. However, maybe with more practice, all of those things would improve?

One other local broadcaster that never gets mentioned for the Steelers gig that I think should is Greg Brown. After Hillgrove, Brown has the best voice of any of our local broadcasters. Both of those dudes have some pipes!

Brown also used to call Buffalo Bills games before joining the Pirates organization, so he definitely has some experience at that level, which is a real plus.

Now, would he even want that job? Who knows? If he did take it, he would probably have to give up his Pirates gig, which I’m sure he would be loathe to do. I have always gotten the sense that the Pirates play by play job is truly Greg Brown‘s dream job.

Then again, who knows? Maybe the organizations could work out an arrangement where Brown is with the Steelers during football season but with the Pirates on weekdays in the fall and all week long during the summer months. Maybe in that limited window you promote Dan Zangrilli to the no. 2 spot behind Joe Block?

Also, as a Pirates fan too, I wouldn’t want to lose Brown in his current role as I think he does a nice job. Also, there is a massive drop off between the excitable Brown and the banal and pedantic Block.

However, speaking strictly from the Steelers’ perspective, if Hillgrove does hang them up, my first phone call would be to Greg Brown to gauge his interest in the gig. If he’s not interested, I would probably be inclined to go outside the market to look for my permanent voice of the organization.

if I had to wager how this will play out, I would guess that Hillgrove will survive this situation but will retire in another year or two. I think Brown will stick with the Pirates and Hillgrove will be replaced on the Steelers games by someone we do not currently know and who is not currently in the market. Further, I would assume that Richert will begin calling Pitt’s football and basketball games on a full-time basis starting in 2021 or 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChazzMo
Gosh I love the idea of Greg Brown - I’ve always loved his highly excited play by play. I like a home team announcer who gets excited for his team and Greg truly does that. Plus, as mentioned, he’s got a great voice.

The pirates is the dream job for brown. Now if there is no baseball for a year then I could see it for a temporary basis.

Personally, I would hope that Pitt goes outside the Pittsburgh media bubble to make their next hire.

I agree they need to expand a search when the time comes. The Pirates have an alright duo with Brown and Block. I find Steve Mears incredibly bland and generic for the Penguins and a pretty big disappointment when they finally moved on from Steigerwald. Pomp has way too much of a local news anchor feel in the pbp role and Rob King, while very good at what he does, doesn't feel like anything more than a D-team announcer. There are a lot of people that go into broadcasting and probably a ton of unheralded talent out there doing minor league or local college games.

My prediction is Pitt will force out Billy the same way they did with Dick Groat. Billy will be 80 years old in November. This incident will make it easier for them to make a move and bring in new blood...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT