ADVERTISEMENT

Why coaching matters

Yep, as much as JC saved himself this year, I'm not sure how much more leash it will give him. The pressure is still going to be on to move things forward. We still need better talent than we had this year, and he needs to prove this wasn't a "one-hit wonder."

He got a team that hasn’t won much in the last decade almost into the sweet sixteen. He’s bought himself some more time in my opinion. I think we get some quality transfers and come back as a solid team next year. Do we need necessarily need to make the NCAAT every year for it to be considered success? Not in my eyes as we are losing a lot. But I think winning records in conference play should be the new, totally attainable, baseline.

Reactions: pierre93
Agree, but only if we score in the portal.

Blow this recruiting season, it is unlikely we are ACC top half.

No doubt. Going to lose 4 really good basketball players and 4 guys that were central to team chemistry. So can’t expect the same results without replacing them.

The wild card will also be who makes a leap forward. We certainly have some candidates.

Reactions: gary2
Yes - This style wasn’t what I saw all year. I saw good ball movement and finding open guys. So this thread topic is kind of flawed because we have been that team.

Not sure what changed. It appeared to me that JB forced too much, but it also could be fewer guys open.

The net result was it just seemed like we weren’t spreading looks around like we were.

What changed was we played a team better on defense than most ACC teams we played.

Reactions: PittPanther44
According to you and Jimmy franks. Go to a big10 board and troll
You don’t think most coaches in NCAA are self-serving scumbags? Look at Musselman last night… making it all about himself.

Pitt is lucky to have two honorable stand up men to represent their programs, even if I love to question their coaching abilities from time to time

Yes - This style wasn’t what I saw all year. I saw good ball movement and finding open guys. So this thread topic is kind of flawed because we have been that team.

Not sure what changed. It appeared to me that JB forced too much, but it also could be fewer guys open.

The net result was it just seemed like we weren’t spreading looks around like we were.
JB really had a tough tournament

Plus essentially no Federiko.

And the other guys were really inconsistent. Not that they were always bastions of consistency, but you truly couldn’t predict anything from anyone from one possession to the next.

Still held it together to win 2 games and bring a 21 deficit down in the last one to make the last couple minutes interesting.

You don’t think most coaches in NCAA are self-serving scumbags? Look at Musselman last night… making it all about himself.

Pitt is lucky to have two honorable stand up men to represent their programs, even if I love to question their coaching abilities from time to time
Well that's what's wrong with the NCAA. Those coaches should've had lifetime bans. Problem is some teams play by the rules most of the time and others blatantly cheat and skate.

Reactions: bschulter
JB really had a tough tournament

Plus essentially no Federiko.

And the other guys were really inconsistent. Not that they were always bastions of consistency, but you truly couldn’t predict anything from anyone from one possession to the next.

Still held it together to win 2 games and bring a 21 deficit down in the last one to make the last couple minutes interesting.
Yeah Fede not being healthy really hurt.

Well that's what's wrong with the NCAA. Those coaches should've had lifetime bans. Problem is some teams play by the rules most of the time and others blatantly cheat and skate.
Dude if you ain’t cheatin you ain’t trying. Some are just better at it and better at hiding it.

Playing that way when you need a basket is one thing. Playing that way trip after trip is another.

Can we agree we were at our best when we were quickly moving the ball?

(And I am blaming Burton ,not the coach, that said Burton was a force and the heart of this team)
Yes, but you can’t always play that way. Teams started to overplay us on the 3 and let us penetrate, but we never had a big who could consistently stress the defense. Makes it really tough.

Yes, but you can’t always play that way. Teams started to overplay us on the 3 and let us penetrate, but we never had a big who could consistently stress the defense. Makes it really tough.
Right on. Ironically it was sad sack Notre Dame that showed the way for the subsequent opponents. Pushed our guys back to the logo. We couldn’t make them pay enough.

Most team saivate when they isolate a guard on a big..

Remember Gary McGhee the last play against UConn?

For some reason that rarely worked for us. Our failure to capitalize on it allowed Duke to comeback from 10 down against us.

Sean Miller coaches to pass the ball, get more assists and runs well executed sets.
Capel coaches the dook system of dribble, dribble, shoot, low assists to points. He’s been lucky he found lightening in a bottle this year with some of the shooters. You can’t win long term nor any tournament with that style.
Yes, compare the tournament success of Sean Miller vs the tournament success of the "dook system".

This board is full of clowns.

Sean Miller coaches to pass the ball, get more assists and runs well executed sets.
Capel coaches the dook system of dribble, dribble, shoot, low assists to points. He’s been lucky he found lightening in a bottle this year with some of the shooters. You can’t win long term nor any tournament with that style.
Yes, compare the tournament success of Sean Miller vs the tournament success of the "dook system".

This board is full of clowns.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yeah horrible coaching that contended for the acc title and won two NCAA games with a team that was picked to finish last. There’s a lot of dumb self loathing yinzer threads on the Board but this wins the 2023 award for dumb posts
Some were just waiting for a loss. If Jeff Capel had managed to walk on water, they'd be saying "see, we told you he couldn't swim".

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
HCJC was not good at Pitt in the old system, pre-portal. But there is a new system and some are going to crash in it some will thrive. From an outsiders view it looks to me like HCJC's skill set could very well make him a real good fit for the new way of making the process work. This year is example 1. I do not expect Pitt to be one win away from gaining a double bye going into their last game next year, but I will not be surprised if there are enough of a blend of good young players and portal veterans that will make it another interesting season.

Wait...so he coaches the dook system and you think it won't work long term or in the tourney?

What?

Objective for most Pitt fans for next season will be to not just return next season to this year’s success level but for Pitt to have a team that will exceed this season’s success level.

Objective for most Pitt fans for next season will be to not just return next season to this year’s success level but for Pitt to have a team that will exceed this season’s success level.
Even reaching this year's success level is a pretty tall order, tbh. Thats going to totally depend on what they do in the portal.

Wait...so he coaches the dook system and you think it won't work long term or in the tourney?

What?
It is a true statement to the extent that unless you have Duke’s usual talent level the Duke style of play can, or will, be less effective than other coaching styles that are less dependent on having superior talent to have maximum success.

Even reaching this year's success level is a pretty tall order, tbh. Thats going to totally depend on what they do in the portal.
Of course. Pitt fans expect that to happen given this season’s success helping to sell playing at Pitt.

It is a true statement to the extent that unless you have Duke’s usual talent level the Duke style of play can, or will, be less effective than other coaching styles that are less dependent on having superior talent to have maximum success.
Is that what he said?

It’s fine to want that… it’s not fine to piss and moan and berate the living shit out of everyone if that doesn’t happen… which to be honest is quite likely given the changes we have coming up.

Pitt has a lot of build and a lot to build on. Imaginary prognosis is just that… imaginary

Reactions: Franb
Being realistic, next year will be a couple of steps backwards from this year. We lose a ton of senior leadership and team chemistry, other teams in the ACC will get better, we don't know what players we'll get in the portal that might contribute, if at all, and the incoming freshmen are young and unknown quantities, if they even show up. Besides, Capel has yet to prove himself because having one year like this year may be an anomaly. I'm just being realistic. I think we have Hinson, Fede and the twins to build around, which is good. But expecting 20+ wins again is being a bit too optimistic. I'd just expect getting close to 0.500 in the league or a little better, maybe 17 wins total, and enjoy what we do have.

Being realistic, next year will be a couple of steps backwards from this year. We lose a ton of senior leadership and team chemistry, other teams in the ACC will get better, we don't know what players we'll get in the portal that might contribute, if at all, and the incoming freshmen are young and unknown quantities, if they even show up. Besides, Capel has yet to prove himself because having one year like this year may be an anomaly. I'm just being realistic. I think we have Hinson, Fede and the twins to build around, which is good. But expecting 20+ wins again is being a bit too optimistic. I'd just expect getting close to 0.500 in the league or a little better, maybe 17 wins total, and enjoy what we do have.
I personally will have close to the same expectations.
JB and Nellie were the guys who closed out games this year, guys with a LOT of experience and maturity.
Hard to expect freshman to come in and do that at the guard position consistently.
But, there is the potential for them to be better if things break right again, there is more coming back than we have seen in a long time, and Dior and the two freshman guards are guys who should be able to be contributors right away.
Just have to see how the portal shakes out and if there are no gonad shots with the guys we are expecting to be back.

Being realistic, next year will be a couple of steps backwards from this year. We lose a ton of senior leadership and team chemistry, other teams in the ACC will get better, we don't know what players we'll get in the portal that might contribute, if at all, and the incoming freshmen are young and unknown quantities, if they even show up. Besides, Capel has yet to prove himself because having one year like this year may be an anomaly. I'm just being realistic. I think we have Hinson, Fede and the twins to build around, which is good. But expecting 20+ wins again is being a bit too optimistic. I'd just getting close to 0.500 in the league or a little better, maybe 17 wins total, and enjoy what we do have.
This assumes we were lucky in landing Elliot and Cummings . Perhaps that is true that we were lucky. On the other hand, we went from a bottom feeder in the ACC to near the top. This time we have more to sell in shopping the portal based on this seasons success. That should allow getting higher quality portal results. That should offset enough to put us in position to meet or exceed last seasons results—at least in theory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT