ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the PIAA have to cram in these winter sports seasons?

My God, what is the rush? A pandemic is raging through this area. COVID is way out of control in PA and the PIAA plans to resume the season on Jan 4. I just dont get what the rush is. Everything else could be explained:

- D1 football - teams didn't want to play in spring without best players

- College hoops - TV wants NCAAT in March and doesn't care about the regular season which no one watches anyway

- HS football - games are outdoors

But I dont get why the PIAA has to play the winter sports in the regular time window. Could they not run basketball from like March-May and then baseball from May-July? Vaccines are here. COVID will be much less widespread by Spring. Can anybody be a little patient. If I was a parent of a HS winter sports athlete, I'd be super pissed these games are being played in empty gyms without parents when the gyms could probably be half full a few months later.
Seriously why don't you just step away from the TV, the computer and wrap yourself in a biohazard suit, go to a bomb shelter and someone will come and get you when it's safe to come out in 100yrs. You cannot be this afraid

They ended up having standings, stats, etc. It was a HS baseball league outside of the PIAA.....hence the no pitch counts (no governing body). I don't know what's so hard to understand. They were all HS teams. I even watched a few minutes of some games as they were playing in the same complex as my son's league. At first I thought it was legion but after talking to some parents I knew, I found out it is what I said. A HS baseball league outside of the PIAA just like HS hockey.

Outside of letting them use the uniforms, did the schools fund it? Something tells me no. But I can't be sure. Also, in the baseball world, high school baseball is what the good players do in the spring before the real season starts. The travel season. Kids with MLB, D1 & D2 dreams are all playing summer travel ball. And many of the best tournaments, like Perfect Game and PBR start as early as mid June. I'm not an expert on travel baseball (I'm getting there though) and I can say that any movement of high school baseball that conflicts with the normal travel season will not be a good thing for anyone. Just going to cause problems. The two worlds need to coexist, much like AAU basketball. Your plan would put that in jeopardy.

They ended up having standings, stats, etc. It was a HS baseball league outside of the PIAA.....hence the no pitch counts (no governing body). I don't know what's so hard to understand. They were all HS teams. I even watched a few minutes of some games as they were playing in the same complex as my son's league. At first I thought it was legion but after talking to some parents I knew, I found out it is what I said. A HS baseball league outside of the PIAA just like HS hockey.
As usual, you have about 70% of the facts accurate, and have missed the rest.

Par for the course, and nothing we don't expect from you.

Just not true. HS baseball/softball state championships are mid-June every year, well after most schools are done.

There’s absolutely no reason spring sports couldn’t be played until mid-June besides the fact that the PIAA is a joke and refuses to make any actual decisions and instead just lets the politicans take the blame.
The season's are done with only the playoffs still going. They will not let anything else be played. This past year, they had local tournaments in our area for baseball and softball to give the Seniors a last few games. We had to play these outside the realm of the PIAA and the schools even though it was the school teams playing. It had to be set up and funded outside of the PIAA.

There absolutely was a HS baseball league that played all summer outside of the PIAA. Im not talking about Travel ball or Legion or whatever. It was WPIAL HS baseball without playing under an independent banner. No reason they cant play in the summer under PIAA if need be. Its a pandemic.
I can guarantee you that it wasn't PIAA affiliated. Yes, they may be able to put something together outside of the PIAA, but it won't get funded by the school or the PIAA.

Of course its better to play with no parents than not at all but that isnt the choice I'm talking about. You could very very easily run the winter sports in the spring and the spring sports in the late spring/summer. Then you could have gyms half full and teams playing without masks (some teams are requiring masks).
It is not that easy.

The season's are done with only the playoffs still going. They will not let anything else be played. This past year, they had local tournaments in our area for baseball and softball to give the Seniors a last few games. We had to play these outside the realm of the PIAA and the schools even though it was the school teams playing. It had to be set up and funded outside of the PIAA.

It hasn’t been done that way, yes I agree. But there’s no reason it can’t be. Many cold-weather states like Iowa play spring sports in the summer every single year.

There’s no reason PA can’t do it for one year. It’ll allow both winter and spring athletes to have as close to a “normal“ season as possible.

But it’s more work for the PIAA so it won’t happen.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Outside of letting them use the uniforms, did the schools fund it? Something tells me no. But I can't be sure. Also, in the baseball world, high school baseball is what the good players do in the spring before the real season starts. The travel season. Kids with MLB, D1 & D2 dreams are all playing summer travel ball. And many of the best tournaments, like Perfect Game and PBR start as early as mid June. I'm not an expert on travel baseball (I'm getting there though) and I can say that any movement of high school baseball that conflicts with the normal travel season will not be a good thing for anyone. Just going to cause problems. The two worlds need to coexist, much like AAU basketball. Your plan would put that in jeopardy.

This is the 10th time I'm saying this. It was like HS Hockey. As in, not officially school affiliated and not under PIAA.

And I am well aware of Travel Ball. And what I'm saying is who the eff cares. There was a very succesfull HS baseball league last summer and guess what, they could do it again. There is no need for the PIAA to rush a baseball season in.

It hasn’t been done that way, yes I agree. But there’s no reason it can’t be. Many cold-weather states like Iowa play spring sports in the summer every single year.

There’s no reason PA can’t do it for one year. It’ll allow both winter and spring athletes to have as close to a “normal“ season as possible.

But it’s more work for the PIAA so it won’t happen.

The last thing the PIAA cares about are kids. See their ludicrous transfer rules. A family can legitimately move (like really, actually move) and their kid could still have to sit a year. They are lazy AF and do the bare minimum. They made plans and they will stick to them. They'll cancel winter sports if they have to rather than reschedule them

There was a very succesfull HS baseball league last summer and guess what, they could do it again. There is no need for the PIAA to rush a baseball season in.

Who won the WPIAL championship? How about the state championship?

If they do the same thing next spring, who do you think will be the favorite to win the state championship then?

This is the 10th time I'm saying this. It was like HS Hockey. As in, not officially school affiliated and not under PIAA.

And I am well aware of Travel Ball. And what I'm saying is who the eff cares. There was a very succesfull HS baseball league last summer and guess what, they could do it again. There is no need for the PIAA to rush a baseball season in.

And I'm saying that your plan would be unfair to the baseball players who want a true high school season with their friends and classmates AND want the higher caliber of competition and development and scouting opportunities that travel brings. Why rob them of that? Most of them already were robbed of their HS seasons last year.

And I'm saying that your plan would be unfair to the baseball players who want a true high school season with their friends and classmates AND want the higher caliber of competition and development and scouting opportunities that travel brings. Why rob them of that? Most of them already were robbed of their HS seasons last year.

Yeah, but they'll get to play some glorified pickup games with some kids that don't even go to their school, so what's not to love?

:rolleyes:

The last thing the PIAA cares about are kids. See their ludicrous transfer rules. A family can legitimately move (like really, actually move) and their kid could still have to sit a year. They are lazy AF and do the bare minimum. They made plans and they will stick to them. They'll cancel winter sports if they have to rather than reschedule them

Give me some examples over the past 2 seasons beyond the one outlier of kids who have to sit an ENTIRE season after having a family legitimately move to another school.

Because they are being robbed of a true winter sports season. Most play a winter sport also. They already are losing 3 weeks. For teams that don't make the playoffs, the basketball season is now only 6 weeks! A 6 week season with no parents in stands and some teams wearing masks. We really need to do that just so they can start baseball in the snow. You people cannot be as dumb as the PIAA.

Because they are being robbed of a true winter sports season. Most play a winter sport also. They already are losing 3 weeks. For teams that don't make the playoffs, the basketball season is now only 6 weeks! A 6 week season with no parents in stands and some teams wearing masks. We really need to do that just so they can start baseball in the snow. You people cannot be as dumb as the PIAA.

Well, first thing, you pretty much lose total credibility here by resorting to calling those who don't agree with you dumb. But I'll humor you here because you obviously don't have a lot of insight into sports at the high school level, so you are lashing out with insults.

Yes, many kids play winter sports. But in the larger schools (say 5A and above in PA, D2 and above in OH), "most" kids do not play a winter sport AND a spring sport. Many play only 1 sport at all. This is very common at any school that has try outs and cuts. And at the schools with good programs, many of the kids are playing for very competitive summer teams. They already sacrificed their high school season last year. And quite honestly, at schools with baseball programs like my son's, they are making sacrifices this year as well. No spring break tournament in another state against top programs from around the US, limited fans in attendance (we play a lot of night games on Fridays and get huge - by high school baseball standards - crowds). I don't want to get into a winter vs spring sports argument here, both are important in my opinion. But the bottom line here is that winter sports only missed a very small portion of their seasons last year, basically only the last couple of rounds of their playoffs. 90% or more of the teams finished their seasons without Covid driven sacrifices. My heart breaks for the seniors who worked so hard for their senior years. It really does. But that doesn't mean we should tell the spring kids that they will sacrifice part of their season this year after sacrificing the entire thing last year so that the winter sports can go in full, just delayed a bit. Your idea of telling them that they should give up their normal seasons and be happy with summer ball or a watered down version of HS baseball with a team of their classmates is totally unfair. A total "let them eat cake" mentality.

Well, first thing, you pretty much lose total credibility here by resorting to calling those who don't agree with you dumb. But I'll humor you here because you obviously don't have a lot of insight into sports at the high school level, so you are lashing out with insults.

Yes, many kids play winter sports. But in the larger schools (say 5A and above in PA, D2 and above in OH), "most" kids do not play a winter sport AND a spring sport. Many play only 1 sport at all. This is very common at any school that has try outs and cuts. And at the schools with good programs, many of the kids are playing for very competitive summer teams. They already sacrificed their high school season last year. And quite honestly, at schools with baseball programs like my son's, they are making sacrifices this year as well. No spring break tournament in another state against top programs from around the US, limited fans in attendance (we play a lot of night games on Fridays and get huge - by high school baseball standards - crowds). I don't want to get into a winter vs spring sports argument here, both are important in my opinion. But the bottom line here is that winter sports only missed a very small portion of their seasons last year, basically only the last couple of rounds of their playoffs. 90% or more of the teams finished their seasons without Covid driven sacrifices. My heart breaks for the seniors who worked so hard for their senior years. It really does. But that doesn't mean we should tell the spring kids that they will sacrifice part of their season this year after sacrificing the entire thing last year so that the winter sports can go in full, just delayed a bit. Your idea of telling them that they should give up their normal seasons and be happy with summer ball or a watered down version of HS baseball with a team of their classmates is totally unfair. A total "let them eat cake" mentality.

There isnt even a compromise where we can delay the start by 1 month? Play basketball and wrestling February 1-April 30 and baseball/softball mid-April to July 1?

There isnt even a compromise where we can delay the start by 1 month? Play basketball and wrestling February 1-April 30 and baseball/softball mid-April to July 1?

No. Any extension of the high school season cuts into a kid's and their families summer plan. Jobs, vacation, summer ball, joining the military, summer college (some schools report early). And it also cuts into the coaches summer plans as well. Many have other jobs in the summer, have vacations planned, etc. They have families too you know. Also, many fields are in use by rec leagues & pre HS travel teams in the summer. Where are those games going to be played?

For the sake of argument, why don't we have baseball, lacrosse & track go on as normal, and then do high school basketball, wrestling and swimming in the summer? Start it around mid-May and let it go until football starts on Aug 1.

Yep, just as bad of an idea as yours. For many of the reasons that I and others have outlined here already.

Here is what you do - you make the best of the situation within the timeframes available. If someone has to sacrifice, so be it. Fall sports made sacrifices in the number of games that they played and didn't have full crowds allowed. Spring sports lost their entire seasons last year. If winter sports have to sacrifice then unfortunately it is what they will have to do. In a totally unfair world, this is much more fair than to tell spring sports that they will have to sacrifice their normal season after sacrificing their entire season last year so that the winter sports, who sacrificed very little last year can have a close to normal season this year.

No. Any extension of the high school season cuts into a kid's and their families summer plan. Jobs, vacation, summer ball, joining the military, summer college (some schools report early). And it also cuts into the coaches summer plans as well. Many have other jobs in the summer, have vacations planned, etc. They have families too you know. Also, many fields are in use by rec leagues & pre HS travel teams in the summer. Where are those games going to be played?

For the sake of argument, why don't we have baseball, lacrosse & track go on as normal, and then do high school basketball, wrestling and swimming in the summer? Start it around mid-May and let it go until football starts on Aug 1.

Yep, just as bad of an idea as yours. For many of the reasons that I and others have outlined here already.

Here is what you do - you make the best of the situation within the timeframes available. If someone has to sacrifice, so be it. Fall sports made sacrifices in the number of games that they played and didn't have full crowds allowed. Spring sports lost their entire seasons last year. If winter sports have to sacrifice then unfortunately it is what they will have to do. In a totally unfair world, this is much more fair than to tell spring sports that they will have to sacrifice their normal season after sacrificing their entire season last year so that the winter sports, who sacrificed very little last year can have a close to normal season this year.

Then how did they have a June-mid-August HS season last year? Vacations, jobs, travel ball, etc. Was it magic?

Pushing baseball and softball into late June early July would be the worst possible decision of all time. As many have said travel ball, vacations and things like that would cause a real commitment issue to kids.
As someone who has been through the travel ball, recruiting and HS baseball scene. There are so many angles as to why it would blow up.

First HS senior pitchers, a lot of these guys that are committed to D1 schools are going to be shutting down early this year and hitting the weight room. The second these guys can get onto a college campus and working with strength and conditioning guys they are going to do it and quite frankly need to. On top of that, they are going to be need to start hammering out college credits so there workload is a lot easier come spring when they are in a different state every weekend. You are also going to see the same with kids who are going JUCO and high end D2.

Then you get to the HS juniors who are in their most important recruiting year of their lives. College coaches have already lost a year of development from their own players so who knows how many swing and misses they have recruited on their roster currently. These kids are going to be playing travel ball because they need ABs against high end talent and they need evaluated and exposed to college coaches for recruiting purposes. So what’s going to happen in this scenario you are going to make a kid choose between playing with his friends and do what he should be doing if he is good enough to play in college.

So yeah you could theoretically push the season back but it would turn into a mess with non competitive teams hurting the further development of younger players. So knowing the PIAA they will definitely push the season back when it will be the worst possible scenario for the kids actually playing.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Pushing baseball and softball into late June early July would be the worst possible decision of all time. As many have said travel ball, vacations and things like that would cause a real commitment issue to kids.
As someone who has been through the travel ball, recruiting and HS baseball scene. There are so many angles as to why it would blow up.

First HS senior pitchers, a lot of these guys that are committed to D1 schools are going to be shutting down early this year and hitting the weight room. The second these guys can get onto a college campus and working with strength and conditioning guys they are going to do it and quite frankly need to. On top of that, they are going to be need to start hammering out college credits so there workload is a lot easier come spring when they are in a different state every weekend. You are also going to see the same with kids who are going JUCO and high end D2.

Then you get to the HS juniors who are in their most important recruiting year of their lives. College coaches have already lost a year of development from their own players so who knows how many swing and misses they have recruited on their roster currently. These kids are going to be playing travel ball because they need ABs against high end talent and they need evaluated and exposed to college coaches for recruiting purposes. So what’s going to happen in this scenario you are going to make a kid choose between playing with his friends and do what he should be doing if he is good enough to play in college.

So yeah you could theoretically push the season back but it would turn into a mess with non competitive teams hurting the further development of younger players. So knowing the PIAA they will definitely push the season back when it will be the worst possible scenario for the kids actually playing.

You guys are so, so dramatic. I’m in tune with both high school sports and the travel baseball scene.

I’m not asking for the season to be June-August.

But teams who don’t make the playoffs in baseball are done like May 10th. So they’ll go to school for 3 more weeks with no school sports which is so foolish given that without any changes, there’s going to be around 1/2 of the winter season.

And once again, HS baseball state playoffs already end around June 15-18.

There’s also no need for state playoffs this year. Look at what a circus the football state playoffs were.

Let winter sports go to the end of March, you can start playing games in spring sports in mid-April until the the end of May. Have district playoffs which takes you into the first week of June.

No reason why that can’t be done. And 1 week in June is certainly doable, as any team who’s really good should already be planning on that in the current set up anyway.

Additionally, so many are focused on the impact with travel sports but that shouldn’t be the PIAA’s concern. Not every kid wants to go be a D1 or even D3 baseball player. HS sports are a part of the high school experience, and the goal should be to give everyone as close to normal opportunity as possible to compete in this crazy year. If that means pushing spring sports back, do it.

If some kid doesn’t want to play the first week of June because he would rather go drink in Ocean City, he doesn’t have to. But it’s all about having opportunities.

We do realize there's more than just baseball and softball played in the spring season, right?

You guys are so, so dramatic. I’m in tune with both high school sports and the travel baseball scene.

I’m not asking for the season to be June-August.

But teams who don’t make the playoffs in baseball are done like May 10th. So they’ll go to school for 3 more weeks with no school sports which is so foolish given that without any changes, there’s going to be around 1/2 of the winter season.

And once again, HS baseball state playoffs already end around June 15-18.

There’s also no need for state playoffs this year. Look at what a circus the football state playoffs were.

Let winter sports go to the end of March, you can start playing games in spring sports in mid-April until the the end of May. Have district playoffs which takes you into the first week of June.

No reason why that can’t be done. And 1 week in June is certainly doable, as any team who’s really good should already be planning on that in the current set up anyway.

Additionally, so many are focused on the impact with travel sports but that shouldn’t be the PIAA’s concern. Not every kid wants to go be a D1 or even D3 baseball player. HS sports are a part of the high school experience, and the goal should be to give everyone as close to normal opportunity as possible to compete in this crazy year. If that means pushing spring sports back, do it.

If some kid doesn’t want to play the first week of June because he would rather go drink in Ocean City, he doesn’t have to. But it’s all about having opportunities.

These people act like its the most impossible thing in the world to play HS baseball until say June 30 or the 1st week of July but the same kids played HS baseball until mid-August last season. Its not impossible. Somehow, some way, kids can still find their way to Ocean City and travel ball games can still get played.

Then how did they have a June-mid-August HS season last year?

If someone knew absolutely nothing at all about this topic all they would need to know about your knowledge of it is the way that you continue to call those glorified pickup games last summer a high school baseball season.

These people act like its the most impossible thing in the world to play HS baseball until say June 30 or the 1st week of July but the same kids played HS baseball until mid-August last season. Its not impossible. Somehow, some way, kids can still find their way to Ocean City and travel ball games can still get played.

A lot of those kids play ball in the summer. Now you're excluding them from those teams. Also, we forgetting about track, tennis, and lacrosse athletes or does only baseball and softball count?

If someone knew absolutely nothing at all about this topic all they would need to know about your knowledge of it is the way that you continue to call those glorified pickup games last summer a high school baseball season.

I don't understand your logic. They were HS teams, HS players, the same uniforms, and coached by the same coaching staff. The only difference was it wasnt under the PIAA. So stop that.

Also, I didn't even realize they had playoffs and championship at the Wild Things field. Wow. Inotherwords, completely indistinguishable from WPIAL Baseball. Look at that, the world didn't end. Looks like I was slightly wrong on the date. It ended August 3, not mid-August. Incredible they were able to have HS baseball in the summer. Most of you brainiacs act like this is an impossible feat because the kids want to go to Ocean City for a long weekend.

I don't understand your logic.

You could have just stopped right there.

The fact that you actually took the time (one would assume) to read the links provided about that "league", including the one that you provided, and you still can't figure out how it was different than normal high school baseball does not say good things about your ability to think logically.

You could have just stopped right there.

The fact that you actually took the time (one would assume) to read the links provided about that "league", including the one that you provided, and you still can't figure out how it was different than normal high school baseball does not say good things about your ability to think logically.
He has to be trolling, because nobody can be that dense.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

How was it different? No pitch counts? Coaches DESPISE pitch counts so anyway to get out of that and they'd do it.

Dude, it was HS baseball. Its ok. I was right and you were wrong. It was HS baseball in the summer and we all survived it.

How was it different? No pitch counts? Coaches DESPISE pitch counts so anyway to get out of that and they'd do it.

You just simply keep proving that you didn't read the articles.

The fact that you can't understand the difference between high school baseball and a baseball game played by kids who are high school aged again does not speak well to your ability to think logically.

You just simply keep proving that you didn't read the articles.

The fact that you can't understand the difference between high school baseball and a baseball game played by kids who are high school aged again does not speak well to your ability to think logically.

So what in your mind didn't qualify this as a HS Baseball league? HS teams with their coaches dont do it for you? You require PIAA governance?

Dude, it was HS baseball. Its ok. I was right and you were wrong. It was HS baseball in the summer and we all survived it.
What you described is not high school baseball. It was baseball played by some high school aged kids during the summer, which thousands of high school aged kids already do every year in various real summer leagues with team sponsors, national tournaments (think AAABA). Good players would have to give this up to play your version of delayed spring high school sports (they won't). Seniors who do not plan on playing spring sports after high school may have other important things in their lives already planned for the summer and will not be able to play (and lose 2 years of spring sports during their high school careers). Terrible idea.

My final post on this:

It was high school kids playing baseball. It wasn't high school baseball. And the kids that participated in that either weren't travel ball players or they choose to participate in the summer rec league that you keep talking about. The point here is that they probably didn't or couldn't do both. The only way they could've done both is to miss significant time for one of the teams. Sure, there may have been a kid that only participated in the pretend HS league on Monday and Tuesday (only the really big travel tournaments play on Mon or Tue) and if they did, it probably wasn't the pitchers (at least not the good or smart ones). Also, why would you want to put the spring sport kids in the position of having to choose between playing HS ball or playing travel ball? Why would you want to put a kid in position to either miss games or go on a family vacation? Why would you want to put a kid in position to either miss games or miss work? Didn't they already sacrifice all of this last year?

Reactions: Ski11585
I have watched this debate going on. I grew up in Iowa many years ago. Iowa plays high school baseball in the summer as do other states. How can they possibly do that and not ruin all high school baseball player’s lives every year? Kids in Iowa play summer ball beginning at the end of high school ball. These kids do go on vacation. These kids play ball in college and actually get recruited by college recruiters. I have always wondered why PA baseball begins so early and ends so early. Begin play later and end later will also avoid all the bad weather with so many rainouts/cold outs early in the season.
There is absolutely no good reason not to play baseball later except that would make things “different”.

Seriously why don't you just step away from the TV, the computer and wrap yourself in a biohazard suit, go to a bomb shelter and someone will come and get you when it's safe to come out in 100yrs. You cannot be this afraid
Wasnt there a movie with Brandon Frasier who did this. Went into a bomb shelter and came out 20 years later? This is what SMF should do.. he'll come out in 2030 expecting the earth to be barren and scorched

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
What you described is not high school baseball. It was baseball played by some high school aged kids during the summer

The fact that he can't understand that, even after linking an article that clearly said that's what it was, would boggle the mind if it was anyone else but him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT