ADVERTISEMENT

Why drug testing is a good thing...

pittdan77

Athletic Director
Jan 5, 2011
The Vast Wasteland of Central Pennsylvania
With the "rumors" that a few players were suspended for positive drug tests, some of you suggested that to win, the program has to get around those. This article is why you are wrong and why you'd be failing the kids to just let them slide.

Josh Gordon says Baylor assistant helped him cheat drug tests
By John TaylorOct 10, 2017, 12:52 PM EDT (NBC Sports)

It’s been a while, relatively speaking, since there’s been a negative story regarding Baylor football, so I guess you could say we were due.

In a book released in late August on the sexual assault scandal at Baylor, the athletic department’s drug testing policy, or lack thereof, came under heavy fire. It was alleged that the program circumvented the university’s harsh policy on drugs — one positive test for marijuana resulted in a semester suspension, a second likely expulsion — by avoiding random drug testing. Not all of the random tests were avoided, however, as former Bear wide receiver Josh Gordon was dismissed from the team in August of 2011 after he failed a second test.

Now attempting a comeback in the NFL — the 26-year-old hasn’t played in a game since 2014 because of drug suspensions — Gordon opened up to Uninterrupted.com in a documentary that debuted Tuesday morning, telling the website among other things that, while at BU, an unidentified Bears assistant coach helped him pass what otherwise would’ve been failed drug tests.

From the Akron Beacon Journal:

Not too long after I got arrested for possession of marijuana at Baylor, one of my coaches came by saying, ‘You are going to get drug tested by the compliance office. This is how it’s going to work. This is what they are going to do. If they do call you in, here goes these bottles of detox,’” Gordon said. “He showed me how to drink them, showed me how to take them. That was my first real experience with getting over on the system and that authority not really being taken serious because it was kind of being guided by somebody that’s employed by the same university.”

Gordon explained he failed a drug test at Baylor when he ran out of the masking agent and the coach didn’t replenish his supply in time.

“I failed the drug test because I was getting high,” Gordon added with a laugh.

Since last year’s purge of the football program and athletic department, the university has revamped its drug policies when it comes to student-athletes. ESPN.com has the details of that new policy:

It calls for a six-month probationary period for the first positive test for marijuana; one year of probation and ban for 33 percent of competition for a second; one-year ban and probation for a third; and dismissal from the team for a fourth. There are more severe penalties for using street drugs other than marijuana, including a one-year ban for a second positive test and dismissal from the team after a third.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I think testing for weed is pointless. IMO, It’s less dangerous than booze and it’s going to continue to get more pervasive as time goes on. We’re going to have more and more suspensions for something that is probably going to end up legal in the near future.

ygAEwi1.jpg

I think testing for weed is pointless. IMO, It’s less dangerous than booze and it’s going to continue to get more pervasive as time goes on. We’re going to have more and more suspensions for something that is probably going to end up legal in the near future.
Exactly! Man made painkillers/opioids are a much bigger problem, and that is what they should be concerned about.

Reactions: bwh05
I'm all for drug testing. Just want all schools to play by the same set of rules. I don't think that's the case so a school like Pitt just penalizes itself...for whom and for what?

Tobacco and alcohol are the 2 most harmful drugs in America, and both are sold to anyone over the minimum age for each. Why do we need to make other drugs illegal, and criminalize their users?

I think testing for weed is pointless also. But they do it. If you let kids get away with that is that where the line stops? I don't think anyone should ever get punished for something so stupid, but you have to instill discipline. If your starting linebacker or defensive end or whatever gets a pass because he's a starter, then the best player on your team will feel like he can get away with even more.

If they really are excessively drug testing, I feel they can cut back on that. But in no way should they just become pushovers and let these kids suffer no consequences for their actions. I personally think marijuana being classified as an illegal drug is a complete joke, but if you're a college athlete it's really not that hard to just lay off it.

I had a debate with a friend about testing, which I think is ridiculous. He said he works with heavy items and doesn't want to be in danger if his coworkers are using. I said "Right, especially being EVERYONE in the workplace is falling down drunk being that's legal." Just more stupid rules from the puritans.

Reactions: bwh05
Exactly! Man made painkillers/opioids are a much bigger problem, and that is what they should be concerned about.

And we test for all the others too, but it’s so much harder to test positive because they don’t stay in your system. I don’t know why we feel the need to die on this hill.

I had a debate with a friend about testing, which I think is ridiculous. He said he works with heavy items and doesn't want to be in danger if his coworkers are using. I said "Right, especially being EVERYONE in the workplace is falling down drunk being that's legal." Just more stupid rules from the puritans.

Years ago I was on the safety committee where I worked. At one of the meetings one day the union guys came in and essentially demanded that we do a round of random testing (which we hadn't done in a long, long time), because they thought one of their coworkers was coming to work drunk and that he'd go out at lunchtime and drink some more and they thought he was going to cause an accident. There were hoping that either he'd get picked and fail, or that the thought that he might get picked might get him to stop. Instead he did something stupid that gave his boss the chance to ask for a non-random test, and he refused because he knew he was going to fail the test.

Sure they are but a rule is a rule and adherence to them are signs of character. If a stupid nonsensical rule said crossing the street at spot other than a crosswalk would result in a suspension from the team I'm guessing the kids would not do so and walk to the neared corner. Not sure why we blame the arcane rules being followed such that a kid gets free college and not the inability of the kid to follow said arcane rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT