ADVERTISEMENT

Why exactly is Tate Martell eligible?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Will the NCAA be denying ANY hardship request anymore? Did they just do away with the sit out rule without officially announcing it?

I have no problem with the NCAA allowing this as long as they’re consistent. If the head coach leaves/quits/fired players should essentially be free agents and allowed to go wherever they want.

FWIW had Urban stayed Martell would’ve also and taken his chances to compete against Fields, at least that’s what his family was saying to local media in Las Vegas.

Personally I’m shocked he didn’t transfer to UCLA to compete for the job against his old high school teammate Dorian Thompson Robinson. Supposedly Chip Kelly openly courted him.

Simple. The real powers have figured out that they will be able to poach really good players from mediocre schools.

Reactions: Farnox
Fields and Martell never should have been eligible, but the NCAA is as gutless as they come. Whatever happened to competing, or sitting out a season and learning about making decisions in life? These two clowns made bad decisions and don't have to learn from it.

Reactions: BiggCliff412
Fields and Martell never should have been eligible, but the NCAA is as gutless as they come. Whatever happened to competing, or sitting out a season and learning about making decisions in life? These two clowns made bad decisions and don't have to learn from it.

Clown? You mean kids. Geez, people get a pass for all kinds of crappy behavior. This is just changing schools. Kind of like changing jobs? Switching majors? It happens.

Fields dealt with racist crap at Georgia. I think by definition, the hardship waiver applies for him (documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete...yes?). He hired an attorney to navigate the process but I don't blame him.

Martell is more questionable versus the rule but I don't have a problem with a kid transferring when a coach leaves. It certainly wasn't his fault that his school was suddenly embroiled in a scandal that forced the coach out after he got there. There isn't as much being said about the deeper backstory here other than alleged "problems".

The percentage of transfers in football is unchanged over the last 20 years. Who knows if things will change in the near future, but the sky hasn’t fallen.

No accountability these days. Fields made a bad decision and has his lawyer make some crap up to be eligible. Very unique circumstances should allow immediate eligibility. “I don’t want to compete” isn’t a good reason to me, but that is just me.

And if kids were allowed to be transfer eligible if a coach jumped, would it be healthy if 40 players transferred and were eligible elsewhere?

Yeah, everyone knows that kids that transfer are too weak minded to ever make it to the NFL. Just ask Troy Aikman, Jeff Hostetler, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Jeff George, Vince Ferragamo, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, etc.

Boy were those players stupid. I bet if you asked them they’d tell you they regret the $millions that they made after being able to demonstrate their skills by transferring.

Yeah, everyone knows that kids that transfer are too weak minded to ever make it to the NFL. Just ask Troy Aikman, Jeff Hostetler, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Jeff George, Vince Ferragamo, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, etc.

Boy were those players stupid. I bet if you asked them they’d tell you they regret the $millions that they made after being able to demonstrate their skills by transferring.
They sat out their year though three of the guys on your list never sat. Nowadays it is I don’t want to compete so let me go elsewhere immediately, boo hoo.

What I read he used the argument of a new coach but that OSU wasn't heartbroken he left.

This kid is a wreck. I just looked him up to see what the big deal is and got his wiki page. He's been to 3 different high schools, verbaled to Wash, switched to Tex A&M, then committed to Ohio State. Now he transferred to Miami.

I'm gonna guess he doesn't finish at Miami.

This kid is a wreck. I just looked him up to see what the big deal is and got his wiki page. He's been to 3 different high schools, verbaled to Wash, switched to Tex A&M, then committed to Ohio State. Now he transferred to Miami.

I'm gonna guess he doesn't finish at Miami.

As much as I like Martell the player it’s hard to argue with this. He and his family have always had a sort of entitlement syndrome.

If he can just get to playing football I think he’ll do well at Miami, he’s a player. Whether or not he can do this is questionable though.

In the near future transfers will be immediately eligible, no questions asked. That’s where this is headed and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing

Reactions: pbrad
I would like to know what racial comments were made to Fields when 70% of the Georgia team is black. I never did like the idea of "student" athletes having to sit out a year when coaches could move freely. Times change, rules change and the NCAA is slowly losing control.

I would like to know what racial comments were made to Fields when 70% of the Georgia team is black. I never did like the idea of "student" athletes having to sit out a year when coaches could move freely. Times change, rules change and the NCAA is slowly losing control.
The NCAA now has zero control as a governing body. What they do have is a money making machine in men's football and basketball. All they care about is the precious cash these young men generate. Anything that stands in the way of their cash cow, such as the current basketball scandal with the FBI involved, they turn a blind eye to. They want their glamour teams to be there year in and year out so they can max out on cash, anything else they hope gets swept under the rug.

Reactions: pbrad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT