ADVERTISEMENT

Wild times out west

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, and USF turn down P12.

UNLV and AFA turn down P12.

Utah State accepts P12.

UNLV and AFA, who were to get special financial incentives to stay in MWC now reconsidering that.

Gonzaga seems to be going to the P12 for everything but football, which they dont have.

Even seeing UConn as a potential all-sports member. Not sure how much sense that makes for either party but you could certainly make arguments that it would. UConn football would get a spot in what could be the 5th best football league and if Gonzaga joins, the basketball league could be better than the Big East, especially since those MWC know how to game the NET and get all their teams into the NCAA Tournament. Gonzaga, UConn, San Diego State and then NET gamers Utah St, Boise, and Colorado St make for a good hoops league.

Maybe the P12 could add Temple or UMass to give UConn a traveling partner or would that dilution make it not worth bringing in UConn?

UConn in the Pac-? (I assume they'll correct the number in their conference name at some point, and have no hope of getting back to 12 conference members while maintaining even a shred of the "Conference of Champions" prestige) would have to be the peak of conference realignment absurdity.

I could see the Pac-? adding Nevada and UNLV plus one other (not Gonzaga) to get to 10 full members. No one else in the AAC or MWC makes much sense, so I'm not exactly sure who else they'd bring in. I'm sure San Jose State would sign up in an instant, but they're only marginally more appealing than the likes of Wyoming or UNM.

Ultimately, it's ridiculous that we have to go through all these machinations before the inevitable conclusion of super conferences for revenue sports (or maybe just football) and regional ones for everything else is reached.

I really don't see any bonus in joining the PAC at this time. They have become a part of the Group of 6. Unless they magically get a good TV contract, those schools are better served to stay in their GO6 conferences because the geography is probably better, and the opportunity to make the playoffs is the same.

Reactions: pittdan77
I really don't see any bonus in joining the PAC at this time. They have become a part of the Group of 6. Unless they magically get a good TV contract, those schools are better served to stay in their GO6 conferences because the geography is probably better, and the opportunity to make the playoffs is the same.
The bonus is the Pac-X brand and the better programs in the MWC shedding the dregs of the conference.

The PAC-X will be the clear 5th best conference, which means the champ will in the playoff nearly every year and the champs of the other G6 conferences will be left out.

Last edited:
The bonus is the Pac-X brand and the better programs in the MWC shedding the dregs of the conference.

The PAC-X will be the clear 5th best conference, which means the champ will in the playoff nearly every year and the champs of the other G6 conferences will be left out.

The Pac Whatever will not necessarily be ahead of the American Athletic. That will be a year to year thing which will fluctuate. The Pac brand is better but their programs arent any better than the AAC programs. The Pac is just the MWC with Oregon State and Washington State replacing Hawaii, NM, Wyoming, Nevada, Wyoming, and San Jose

That's what Memphis, Tulane, USF, and UTSA said. But if you are an MWC school, it makes perfect sense. The brand is better and it will be more money eventually.

For UConn, it may make sense. Their football needs a league and if they bring a travel partner like Temple or UMass, its really no different that Cal & Stan flying to East Coast all the time.

titanic-deck-chairs-moving-back-conflict-strategy-illustration-by-frits-ahlefeldt.jpg

Reactions: pittdan77
The Pac Whatever will not necessarily be ahead of the American Athletic. That will be a year to year thing which will fluctuate. The Pac brand is better but their programs arent any better than the AAC programs. The Pac is just the MWC with Oregon State and Washington State replacing Hawaii, NM, Wyoming, Nevada, Wyoming, and San Jose
The top end of the PAC-X is better than the top end of the AAC, and the bottom of the AAC is much worse than the bottom of the PAC-X (currently). There's no Temple, Rice, Charlotte, FAU, or UAB in the PAC-X.

Is it?

Maybe this season or last season but you cant tell me that over the next 10 years that Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, USF, ECU, Army, Navy will be any worse than Boise, Oregon State, Wash St, Colorado St, SDSU, etc.
Yes, I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money that Boise, OSU, and WSU will outperform whatever teams happen to float to the top of the trash heap in a given year of AAC football, let alone whichever of those AAC programs you want to stick with for an entire decade (I would go with Tulane, Memphis, and UTSA if I had to choose the best programs).

But again, I think a lot of the value in the new PAC-X is that the floor is much higher than the AAC or MWC.

Yes, I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money that Boise, OSU, and WSU will outperform whatever teams happen to float to the top of the trash heap in a given year of AAC football, let alone whichever of those AAC programs you want to stick with for an entire decade (I would go with Tulane, Memphis, and UTSA if I had to choose the best programs).

But again, I think a lot of the value in the new PAC-X is that the floor is much higher than the AAC or MWC.

Maybe but I dont think they would be a clear #5. They'd be much closer to the American than the Big 12. Then, there's the recruiting angle to consider. I'd expect the best West Coast recruits to go to USC, UCLA, Wash, Oregon, Cal, and Big Ten schools who will recruit out there now. Oregon St and Wash St could sell playing in a P5 before. They dont have that anymore. Are they any more appealing than Memphis, Tulane, or UTSA?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT