ADVERTISEMENT

Will be very interesting to see over the next few weeks and months

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
(1) Which players stay and which go from current roster (w/last November's 2 recruits), and
(2) If any new immediate roster help is added (JUCOs, Grad Transfers, etc.)
(3) If any quality 2019 recruits commit

Should be fun.

If he likes any/all of the local kids. Take a run at Mitchell, Stone and Austin. Lay the foundation with 4 year players. Then get after Morton and other national recruits in 2020.

(1) Which players stay and which go from current roster (w/last November's 2 recruits), and
(2) If any new immediate roster help is added (JUCOs, Grad Transfers, etc.)
(3) If any quality 2019 recruits commit

Should be fun.

If he likes any/all of the local kids. Take a run at Mitchell, Stone and Austin. Lay the foundation with 4 year players. Then get after Morton and other national recruits in 2020.

No doubt what you say is important. A foundation for success in 3-4 years is important. But Capel cannot neglect improving the on the floor results in the near term either.

A new coach has to produce encouraging results early on both on the court and with promising recruiting. The two go hand in hand because it is much harder to sell recruits if you can't also point to at least an upward trajectory in terms of Ws vs Ls. I do think that Capel understands this dynamic and most likely will be successful at accomplishing it.

Capel doesn't need to have a winning season and an NIT bid in season #1. But he does need to immediately do better in Ws vs Ls than Stallings did this past season (i.e., have double digit Ws and not be 0 for in the ACC) and he needs to have a better recruiting class inked to LOIs in November than Stallings had last November. The former will require some player retention plus some supplementation with JUCO and Grad transfers. The latter will be pure salesmanship as season #1 will not have played out.

IMO, in Season #2 Capel needs to field a team that at last finishes in the vicinity of a 0.500 record (i.e., 16-17 wins) with continuing good recruiting evident in his second November LOIs class. The former should be the result of the improvement from maturing players. The latter will reflect both salesmanship and being able to point to the upward trajectory shown in season #1.

The next few months will be very exciting. Which players will stay, the ones that leave and the uproar that will cause, new commits or those reaffirming, any juco or grad transfers along with the assistants to hire. I haven’t seen this type of positive buzz with the basketball team in a long time.

I hope the fans get behind the coach and understand that this will be a rebuild. Coach will need time to get his type of players but better days are on the horizon.

The next few months will be very exciting. Which players will stay, the ones that leave and the uproar that will cause, new commits or those reaffirming, any juco or grad transfers along with the assistants to hire. I haven’t seen this type of positive buzz with the basketball team in a long time.

I hope the fans get behind the coach and understand that this will be a rebuild. Coach will need time to get his type of players but better days are on the horizon.

Yes some time and patience will be required of fans. Barring a miracle future very early future NBA all-star recruit or two, most likely we will not be have an NCAA bid team until at least season #3, more probably not before season #4. But, it will require evidence of steady improvement in the interim to keep many Pitt fans from grumbling. Fans will not remain patient too long if they see another under 10 digit win season like this past one and don't see a few top 100 recruits inked to LOIs by November 2019. That being said, it appears Capel is the man who can avoid the former and accomplish the later.

It's unfortunate, but Capel needs to pull in some new players and turn over the roster. Otherwise Stallings' tenure will continue to weigh down the program. The new players, along with whom he brings in as his assistants, will be the main factors. Who among us wants to wait another two years for Pitt to be competitive?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT