ADVERTISEMENT

Will Gragg

tylersmyth

Walk-on
Jun 30, 2006
Have to think he will have alot of success in Whipple's offense with his size and speed.

Whipple loves to throw to the TE's (Recruits take notice you aren't the 6th lineman anyone)

Thinking Gragg will have at least 40 catches with 600+ yards and 5 TD's this season.

Have to think he will have alot of success in Whipple's offense with his size and speed.

Whipple loves to throw to the TE's (Recruits take notice you aren't the 6th lineman anyone)

Thinking Gragg will have at least 40 catches with 600+ yards and 5 TD's this season.
Calm down there skippy. That’s a big leap for a guy who has hardly seen the field in 3 years of college football. I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume there’s a reason for that.

I also think we’ll be using multiple players at the TE position throughout the course of the year. There is no standout at the position unfortunately.

I’ll also believe Whipple is the savior of the Pitt offense when I see it.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I looked up past years to put those numbers in perspective. Dorin Dickserson caught 49 for 529 yds in 2009 and Orndoff had 35 for 579 in 2016.

That would be on par with Kris Wilson's 2003 senior season 44 catches for 643 yds - arguably the most prolific season by an individual TE in Pitt history.

Individual, because Dave Moore and Eric Seaman combined to catch 91 balls for 976 yards under Hackett in 1991, and TEs had over 1,000 yards total.

Leading TE last 5 years under Whipple

2018 - Kyle Horn 17-166-0
2017 Adam Breneman 64-764-4
2016 Adam Breneman 70-808-8
2015 Rodney Miles 33-477-3
2014 Jean Sifrin 41-637-6

Avg. 45 catches - 570 yards - 4 TD's

40 catches with 600 + yards?? I’d be ecstatic if our #2 wr had those stats. And no, I don’t want a TE to be our 2nd leading Wr.

I like the optimism and share your excitement about the TE actually getting thrown too, just think those numbers are too high.

20 -25 catches, 300 yards would be more than enough to be excited about.

The thing I took from the Whipple hire / interviews is that he get the playmakers the ball. If your TE is a mismatch and can catch - the offense will be set up to maximize it. If the WR is good, the offense is bent toward that position.

Just because UMass has an NFL right end for 2 years means Will Gragg (or any other tight end) will see the ball more than last year. Hope so, but he won’t force it to the TE just cause.

The players that show they can make plays will get the ball. Sounds simple but Canada and (now I hope Whipple) get it. There’s only 1 ball so be smart on who touches it!

Late -

Reactions: DiehardPanther
40 catches with 600 + yards?? I’d be ecstatic if our #2 wr had those stats. And no, I don’t want a TE to be our 2nd leading Wr.

I like the optimism and share your excitement about the TE actually getting thrown too, just think those numbers are too high.

This provides better context.

Those numbers are skewed by the '16 and '17 seasons - wasn't Adam Breneman a 5* recruit?

I think it shows that if the talent is there, Whipple will find ways to get the TE the ball. If not, the TE isn't necessarily a huge portion of offensive production. I think we'll see an increase in production from the last two years but nowhere near your prediction.

Gragg looks more like a big WR than a TE.

Maybe he’ll put on some weight/muscle this off-season...

Go Pitt.

Is he even starting? We landed another grad transfer TE. He'll be lucky to have 15 catches for 200 yards and 2 TDs.
I'm with you the grad transfer from Rutgers beats out Gragg quite easily.

This provides better context.

Those numbers are skewed by the '16 and '17 seasons - wasn't Adam Breneman a 5* recruit?

I think it shows that if the talent is there, Whipple will find ways to get the TE the ball. If not, the TE isn't necessarily a huge portion of offensive production. I think we'll see an increase in production from the last two years but nowhere near your prediction.
I agree again, it he has a very good TE Whipple will use him if not the TE will get about as much touches as the TE's did last season.

Weird things I think of. But anytime I noticed Gragg on the field, or more likely along the sideline (cuz he usually couldn't rate getting on the field), I admittedly bizarrely channeled his walk and stature to the distinctive strut that Dennis Rodman would have wandering nervously between plays for the Pistons and Bulls. Old school NBA watchers hopefully will know what i mean. Kind of a back arched, shoulders squared, chest out and nervous alternating perching on the balls and toes of his feet as he walked.

And as sad as it is that this weird impression occurred to me, it's even sadder that this is absolutely the sole, only, single impression the guy made on me in an entire season. He might have the moves like Rodman ("ooo ahh ooo eee ooo, he got the moves like Rodman") but brother, he doesnt play like Rodman.

So, I'll predict even with a TE friendly OC it's pretty unlikely he's going to blossom into a weapon this year.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT