ADVERTISEMENT

William Jeffress

Kid has decent athleticism. Another example of a kid who has failed to improve

At least with JD raw players improved after 3 years. Makes you wonder what they do with these guys to help them develop

Not ripping on him but he should be much better offensively if the coaching staff had any ability to develop players. Santos did nothing until he went to Dayton. Will should follow his lead and transfer
This.
Bub senior is cringing right now.
The twins have no net gains, fede went backwards, jc cant scheme hinson open....the.coaching sucks.

Not ripping on him but he should be much better offensively if the coaching staff had any ability to develop players. Santos did nothing until he went to Dayton. Will should follow his lead and transfer
Again
This entire thread is stupidly timed
He literally took 3 shots and made them all

Everyone who chimed in on this thread is proof positive of predetermined opinions

I agree you aren’t ripping him. Will is clearly a good kid who gives everything he has. But what I think you are saying is with actual coaching he would be further along in his development. With JD and many other coaches Will wouldn’t be a star but he would be much more capable of contributing then he does now.

I’m sure Jason is putting in extra time with Will…yeah right. Better luck finding Jason at Mineo’s pizza, I was always a Aiello’s guy when I lived in PGH. My cousin has ran into Jason a few times at Mineo’s, they seem to know him well. Prob a better chance finding him there than at the Pete.

Reactions: PittPoker
I agree you aren’t ripping him. Will is clearly a good kid who gives everything he has. But what I think you are saying is with actual coaching he would be further along in his development. With JD and many other coaches Will wouldn’t be a star but he would be much more capable of contributing then he does now.

I’m sure Jason is putting in extra time with Will…yeah right. Better luck finding Jason at Mineo’s pizza, I was always a Aiello’s guy when I lived in PGH. My cousin has ran into Jason a few times at Mineo’s, they seem to know him well. Prob a better chance finding him there than at the Pete.
Thanks. Thats exactly what I was saying.

Reactions: 4upmc
The top 100 recruit has been HERE 3 years and averages 3 points a game yet somehow has tons of defenders. Gimme a break. Congrats on his 3 field goals tonight. His entire career he has ran around the court like a giant 6 year old while committing stupid fouls, having no idea how to shoot a basketball or defend in his THIRD YEAR. He is the epitome of why this program is where it is. I’m talking basketball only, I’m sure he’s a great kid with a bright future (absolutely not anywhere near a basketball)

I thought Will was on of the few that played well last night. He is what he is at this point. Good hustle and boards well.

Reactions: TD_6082
The top 100 recruit has been HERE 3 years and averages 3 points a game yet somehow has tons of defenders. Gimme a break. Congrats on his 3 field goals tonight. His entire career he has ran around the court like a giant 6 year old while committing stupid fouls, having no idea how to shoot a basketball or defend in his THIRD YEAR. He is the epitome of why this program is where it is. I’m talking basketball only, I’m sure he’s a great kid with a bright future (absolutely not anywhere near a basketball)
You can keep some thoughts to yourself

You can’t get blood out of a stone. Santos always appeared he could be an offensive weapon, Jeffress never has.

Maybe Santos takes the leap here if he stays but we’ll never know. But it’s hard to imagine he developed that quickly under his new coaches.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
You can’t get blood out of a stone. Santos always appeared he could be an offensive weapon, Jeffress never has.

Maybe Santos takes the leap here if he stays but we’ll never know. But it’s hard to imagine he developed that quickly under his new coaches.
You could be right, not arguing per se. My main point unlike the JD era where guys improved significantly, I cant think of one example with this staff. It also sems inconceivable that even if a kid isnt gifted offensively, you would think youd see some improvement in his shooting and handle.

We saw flashes with Nate when he was here. Whether it was just a change in scenery, coaches that showed more confidence or just better coaching its hard to say what has sparked the improvement

Will hustles, plays strong defense on a very weak defending team . Not a complete player but solid . He is not the problem . The Capels are the problem
He’s a top 100 recruit who has improved ZERO, I’d say he sucks buddy. This isn’t the citadel , hustle and effort with 0 basketball skills is embarrassing

He’s a top 100 recruit who has improved ZERO, I’d say he sucks buddy. This isn’t the citadel , hustle and effort with 0 basketball skills is embarrassing

At least he gives hustle & effort. Some with more talent don't always even do that.

That's not on the player as much as the coaches, who are paid handsomely to evaluate and develop talent.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
At least he gives hustle & effort. Some with more talent don't always even do that.

That's not on the player as much as the coaches, who are paid handsomely to evaluate and develop talent.
This is embarrassing some of you have fallen this low. So all an ACC program paying its coach a billion dollars a year needs is top 100 recruits in their JUNIOR YEAR who only know how to run hard up and down a basketball court

This is embarrassing some of you have fallen this low. So all an ACC program paying its coach a billion dollars a year needs is top 100 recruits in their JUNIOR YEAR who only know how to run hard up and down a basketball court

The staff is free to recruit over him. Just because some recruiting service declares a guy a top 100 doesn't mean he can play.

This!!! No doubt the kid is a solid glue guy. He does all the little things But on a team that lacks the big things it’s a shame he’s not more than that. I don’t buy that this kid lacks the potential to be better. Quite the contrary I would submit that if he had come in under Jd he’d be a solid 10 -15 ppg type player by now with a much better handle.

You could be right, not arguing per se. My main point unlike the JD era where guys improved significantly, I cant think of one example with this staff. It also sems inconceivable that even if a kid isnt gifted offensively, you would think youd see some improvement in his shooting and handle.

We saw flashes with Nate when he was here. Whether it was just a change in scenery, coaches that showed more confidence or just better coaching its hard to say what has sparked the improvement

Champagnie and Burton improved tremendously. Toney as well. Also Sibande who looked like he wasnt an ACC player early on.

The issue is we dont have players long enough. Nobody does. These are 1 year teams now. At best, you are going to have a player 2 years. The main responsibility of a coach now is individual year roster construction. This is the AAU model. AAU programs dont "develop." They try to get the best players they can so they can win tournaments. The coach isnt developing a 14U team so they can win at 17U. No. Its win right now. That's what college basketball is.

Champagnie and Burton improved tremendously. Toney as well. Also Sibande who looked like he wasnt an ACC player early on.

The issue is we dont have players long enough. Nobody does. These are 1 year teams now. At best, you are going to have a player 2 years. The main responsibility of a coach now is individual year roster construction. This is the AAU model. AAU programs dont "develop." They try to get the best players they can so they can win tournaments. The coach isnt developing a 14U team so they can win at 17U. No. Its win right now. That's what college basketball is.
Did Burton improve or was he simply more effective with better talent around him. Not sure how you can say Sabande improved since until his last year injuries prevented him from playing more than a handful of games.

DId Toney improve that much due to coaching or just maturing? His rebound stats were flat. His breakout year where his scoring increased from 9.5 to 14.5 was more due to playing playground hoops on a bad team and taking more shots. HIs turnovers increased too that year. When he went back to Arkansas in more of a structured offense his scoring reverted back closer to the mean of 10.5 ppg.

I wouldt use him as a great example of this staffs ability do develop players when compared to guys like Lamar, McGee, Wann, etc.

Am I in the bizarro world ?
This actually made sense

Did Burton improve or was he simply more effective with better talent around him. Not sure how you can say Sabande improved since until his last year injuries prevented him from playing more than a handful of games.

DId Toney improve that much due to coaching or just maturing? His rebound stats were flat. His breakout year where his scoring increased from 9.5 to 14.5 was more due to playing playground hoops on a bad team and taking more shots. HIs turnovers increased too that year. When he went back to Arkansas in more of a structured offense his scoring reverted back closer to the mean of 10.5 ppg.

I wouldt use him as a great example of this staffs ability do develop players when compared to guys like Lamar, McGee, Wann, etc.
Those guys likewise improved with experience -
So it seems like a double standard to say those are due to coaching , where the Capel players aren’t .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT