ADVERTISEMENT

With all the dismissive talk about WVU attendance, will Pitt travel to Morgantown as well?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
As someone that has made that trip multiple times, next year will Pitt fans travel as well to Morgantown as WVU fans to Pittsburgh?

Pitt fans have turned out and made longer drives to Charlotte and South Bend. That Pitt blue would stand out on tv and always looks great.

Most will not go there. Those who have were subjected to all kinds of abuse. From the parking lots, to the stands, restrooms, concessions stands and even the security guards…

It’s a shame. Every WVU grad I ever met has been great. One of the best persons I ever met started for WVU for 3 seasons in the 1970’s. He was a class act.

The problem is are the idiots who barely graduated from high school. They drink, raise hell and just are as classless as you can get…

As someone that has made that trip multiple times, next year will Pitt fans travel as well to Morgantown as WVU fans to Pittsburgh?

Pitt fans have turned out and made longer drives to Charlotte and South Bend. That Pitt blue would stand out on tv and always looks great.

Hell no. I have been there and have no desire to go back.

I vowed never to go there again. They are just horrible. We got spit on, beer cans thrown at my wife (who by the way wasnt even cheering, just being nice) and I, every cuss word, our car was keyed, had to punch a guy that came at me drunk as hell. I wont make that trip.

We went to Tennessee last year, that was unbelievably awesome, the Tennessee fans were great, 100% great. We love traveling to away games, but not going to put my family at harm going to morganhole

Well, for one, tickets will be tougher to get. Their stadium is smaller and they have more season ticket holders, and they'll probably sell all the 'extras' to season ticket holder first. So, Pitt fans will only get tickets through the Pitt visitor allowance, or the secondary market (i.e. there will no individual ticket sales from WVU). I expect Pitt to sell out their visitor allotment and then maybe a 1,000 more Pitt fans will buy from the secondary market.

However, as others have noted, it is really not a safe environment there for Pitt fans. And that' a shame. And that's why I didn't care the rivalry went away for a while no matter how fun last night was. Pitt should have demanded some safety improvements for their fans before agreeing to renew.

I live in the Char Valley area and can literally be to WVU stadium in an hour (without game day traffic) and will probably pass on the game next year. I went to every road game last year and am doing so this year. But I am going to miss a road game an hour from my home because I don't want to wander into a lawless den and get hit with beer bottles, drinks poured on me, sucker punched from behind...these are all things that have happened there in years past.

Reactions: CCHS82
I don't blame any Pitt fan who doesn't want to go to that shithole in Morgantown. I'll never go there again. I value my safety and the safety of my family too much to subject them to their senseless behavior. Pitt can beat that team anywhere and won't need a bunch of fans to do it. I'm sure there will be some brave souls down there next year, and more power to them. I wish them well and stay safe, if possible.

Reactions: CCHS82
I vowed never to go there again. They are just horrible. We got spit on, beer cans thrown at my wife (who by the way wasnt even cheering, just being nice) and I, every cuss word, our car was keyed, had to punch a guy that came at me drunk as hell. I wont make that trip.

We went to Tennessee last year, that was unbelievably awesome, the Tennessee fans were great, 100% great. We love traveling to away games, but not going to put my family at harm going to morganhole
RULE OF THUMB: If the opposing teams main color is orange, the fans will be great. The best opposing fan bases I ever met were:

Clemson
Oklahoma St
Tennessee

It’s not even close in my book…

Same. It wasn’t enjoyable in any way when we were there

I went one time. I think I'm good after that. I'll go to the West Mifflin Walmart if I need my fix of Neanderthal. Every other fan base I've been around has been hospitable at their place. These people are just a different breed. They prod the shit out of you, and you are their entertainment as much as what is on the field.

No. I would only go if I get seats in the Pitt section. I cannot sit amongst WVU fans. Its like sitting with 3rd world denizens. Its not fun for me, would rather watch on TV. I imagine the majority of Pitt fans feel the same way. That said, I'm sure my rank will allow me to get Pitt seats so I'll be there.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
When I was a kid, my dad had a chance at some tickets down there. He turned them down and explained that he just couldn't take a kid to a game there. I would hope things have improved but I don't know if that can be counted on, or not. Would be interesting to hear from some Big12 fans on that.

No. I would only go if I get seats in the Pitt section. I cannot sit amongst WVU fans. Its like sitting with 3rd world denizens. Its not fun for me, would rather watch on TV. I imagine the majority of Pitt fans feel the same way. That said, I'm sure my rank will allow me to get Pitt seats so I'll be there.

Even though I think it was 80/20 last night, a big chunk of that 20 was in the closed end zone. We were in the first row up there, so I didn’t spend a lot of time turning around and evaluating it - but it seemed like a a lot. And was really annoying.

The problem is it’s the same thing over and over. I get Pitt rhymes with shit. Wow so cool - did a Nitter teach them that?

Come up with something new if you want banter.

As far as going there - it’s just a different dynamic. When you have a city like Pgh, a number already live in the area.

Plus…even though some of you hate on it…the north shore is an iconic American sports destination. So many WVU fans I saw had their cameras out - even away from the stadium.

Then you add fan behavior. So no, if we only bring a couple thousand next year, I don’t look at that as apples to apples in terms of fan loyalty. It’s just different.

The last time I went to Morgantown for a game was 2003.

Here's what happened to me.

I made the mistake of going to the game in my van that has a license plate of "UPITT 89". When we got back to the van after the game, both the driver and passenger doors were keyed, and garbage from a tailgate had been dumped all over the van. Food, beer, condiments... everything.

INSIDE the game... when WVU took a late lead and it was clear we were going to lose.... as we walked out we were pelted with oranges. Yes, oranges. Pitt had a chance to go to the Orange bowl if they had won out. Fitz played great, but WVU's offense dominated us.

Anyway... I decided that I would watch all future Pitt-WVU away games on TV. I don't need that aggravation. And that's a shame... because it is the only road venue where I will NEVER return. Even at PSU nothing like that had ever happened.

And this was after a game WVU won. Imagine what they would have done to my van if they had lost?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I plan on going… I don’t expect anyone to vandalize my vehicle because I have Pa plates

Don’t feed into the Attendance crap. Who gives a crap how many Pitt fans go there? Who cares how many WVU were here? The crowd was nice, it was loud, there were far more of ours than theirs, and next year there will be far more of theirs than ours. As to be expected. The W is all that matters.

Reactions: 303vND and Dan1911
The last time I went to Morgantown for a game was 2003.

Here's what happened to me.

I made the mistake of going to the game in my van that has a license plate of "UPITT 89". When we got back to the van after the game, both the driver and passenger doors were keyed, and garbage from a tailgate had been dumped all over the van. Food, beer, condiments... everything.

INSIDE the game... when WVU took a late lead and it was clear we were going to lose.... as we walked out we were pelted with oranges. Yes, oranges. Pitt had a chance to go to the Orange bowl if they had won out. Fitz played great, but WVU's offense dominated us.

Anyway... I decided that I would watch all future Pitt-WVU away games on TV. I don't need that aggravation. And that's a shame... because it is the only road venue where I will NEVER return. Even at PSU nothing like that had ever happened.

And this was after a game WVU won. Imagine what they would have done to my van if they had lost?
Some guy took a swing at me but missed in the AB shoe game. I was being obnoxious though. In the Fitz game, some guy was throwing glass bottles into the Pitt section. I dont think anyone got hit but geez, that could literally kill you if it hits you in the head at the right speed.

As long as Pitt wins, who cares?

I wouldn't attend unless I could wear plate carriers and lots of kevlar.

Even though I think it was 80/20 last night, a big chunk of that 20 was in the closed end zone. We were in the first row up there, so I didn’t spend a lot of time turning around and evaluating it - but it seemed like a a lot. And was really annoying.

You do know that that is where most of the visiting team's ticket allotment is, right?

Id say 10-15k make it.
Really all depends on how many tickets pitt can get for season ticket holders… since there wont be any single tix avail to buy…

course many of us can pull the “buy season tickets to wvu and sell off all but the brawl”… depending on their home schedule it might be the best approach $

As long as Pitt wins, who cares?

I wouldn't attend unless I could wear plate carriers and lots of kevlar.

:) I make armor, my company, DSM Dyneema ate DuPonts lunch about 10 years ago, so almost all armor is now Dyneema. Ultra High molecular weight polyethylene not para aramid (kevlar) anymore :) Only armor that is poor quality and cheap use kevlar now

Sorry, just had to say it, carry on.

Reactions: Dan1911
If I can carry an AR-15 with 100 rounds of ammo into the stadium, I might consider going. Otherwise, I wouldn't go near Morganhole. Pitt can beat them with or without our fans in the stadium.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I don't blame any Pitt fan who doesn't want to go to that shithole in Morgantown. I'll never go there again. I value my safety and the safety of my family too much to subject them to their senseless behavior. Pitt can beat that team anywhere and won't need a bunch of fans to do it. I'm sure there will be some brave souls down there next year, and more power to them. I wish them well and stay safe, if possible.
I hit reply on yours but this is really for everyone. It's disheartening to hear this and the way you guys are describing it sounds sincere instead some of the other stuff we've heard that we knew was nonense. I'm sure it is rough for pitt fans down there but not all fan bases are treated that way. Honestly, they're not. But with that being said, this is what I have to say for what it's worth.

The thing is, we say eat crap pitt for the most part, because it ryhmes. But honestly, what else do we razz pitt about? We laugh when we say it out of a fun loving jab. But when reading the pitt boards you guys have an entire range of insults on us from CC college to incest to inbred, etc., etc and it goes on and on. A lot is joking and some are funny but lets face it, many of you seem to believe a lot of it and some of it is downright mean spirited. We get no credit for our academics that have accomplishments where we've produced high level business and academicians, as well as sports teams. We've done pretty darn well for what we have to work with. But to you guys it's all about overall rankings when our individual schools have done quite well and have/had some high rankings (journalism, engineering, forensics which is I think rated second in the country and world class, just for example).

The truth is, you guys are doing the same thing to us that PSU does to you, they look down on you the way you look down on us and in turn, we hate you the way you hate PSU. It makes perfect sense.

And honestly, I'm not trying to downplay or excuse the bad behavior because people all over are plain ignorant anymore. And if you think this doesn't happen between a lot of rivals then you're kidding yourselves. Again, no excuse because if I had a lot of money and a say so at WVU, the behavior aspect would be a priority to see exactly how bad or much of it is true and do something about it.

There is a serious cultural problem in our society and it's been coming to a head for a while now. People trying to live through their team. Brown is getting crucified on our boards right now because he forgot to please them.

All we want is respect because we're tired of being pounded on and insulted and disrespected. We don't treat others if they treat us fair. We've had plenty of accolades from visiting Big 12 fans. That's all so feel free to fire away.

The oversized Heinz Field hurts Pitt in big games because it opens up so many seats on the open market beyond the season ticket base. There won't be nearly as many Pitt fans in WVU simply because the seats will have to be purchased on the secondary market and will be overpriced to go into that glorified high school stadium West Virginia plays in.

I hit reply on yours but this is really for everyone. It's disheartening to hear this and the way you guys are describing it sounds sincere instead some of the other stuff we've heard that we knew was nonense. I'm sure it is rough for pitt fans down there but not all fan bases are treated that way. Honestly, they're not. But with that being said, this is what I have to say for what it's worth.

The thing is, we say eat crap pitt for the most part, because it ryhmes. But honestly, what else do we razz pitt about? We laugh when we say it out of a fun loving jab. But when reading the pitt boards you guys have an entire range of insults on us from CC college to incest to inbred, etc., etc and it goes on and on. A lot is joking and some are funny but lets face it, many of you seem to believe a lot of it and some of it is downright mean spirited. We get no credit for our academics that have accomplishments where we've produced high level business and academicians, as well as sports teams. We've done pretty darn well for what we have to work with. But to you guys it's all about overall rankings when our individual schools have done quite well and have/had some high rankings (journalism, engineering, forensics which is I think rated second in the country and world class, just for example).

The truth is, you guys are doing the same thing to us that PSU does to you, they look down on you the way you look down on us and in turn, we hate you the way you hate PSU. It makes perfect sense.

And honestly, I'm not trying to downplay or excuse the bad behavior because people all over are plain ignorant anymore. And if you think this doesn't happen between a lot of rivals then you're kidding yourselves. Again, no excuse because if I had a lot of money and a say so at WVU, the behavior aspect would be a priority to see exactly how bad or much of it is true and do something about it.

There is a serious cultural problem in our society and it's been coming to a head for a while now. People trying to live through their team. Brown is getting crucified on our boards right now because he forgot to please them.

All we want is respect because we're tired of being pounded on and insulted and disrespected. We don't treat others if they treat us fair. We've had plenty of accolades from visiting Big 12 fans. That's all so feel free to fire away.

That's actually a good reply and I thank you for that. My perspective comes from actions that wvu fans habitually engage in against Pitt fans, players and coaches. It's well documented and I'm not going to waste anyone's time rehashing it here. But actions speak louder than words, and wvu fans' actions are routinely disgusting when it comes to Pitt. I'm not talking about the vulgar chants. That speaks more to the infantile mentality of the people yelling those chants, and that won't hurt anyone. I'm talking about the physical actions taken by wvu fans that hurt people and destroy property. That is why I refuse to attend a game at wvu ever again.

You have to earn the respect you desire. As long as your fanbase engages in these neanderthal tactics and actions, you won't get any respect from anyone.

Last edited:
Which third world denizens are you speaking of?

Id rather lay in a landfill naked then go back there. My experience there has been horrible and its been 25 years

That's actually a good reply and I thank you for that. My perspective comes from actions that wvu fans habitually engage in against Pitt fans, players and coaches. It's well documented and I'm going to waste anyone's time rehashing it here. But actions speak louder than words, and wvu fans' actions are routinely disgusting when it comes to Pitt. I'm not talking about the vulgar chants. That speaks more to the infantile mentality of the people yelling those chants, and that won't hurt anyone. I'm talking about the physical actions taken by wvu fans that hurt people and destroy property. That is why I refuse to attend a game at wvu ever again.

You have to earn the respect you desire. As long as your fanbase engages in these neanderthal tactics and actions, you won't get any respect from anyone.
No, I wouldn't expect WVU's base to get any respect acting badly like that. But I think you're missing my point and that is the disrespectful attitude toward West Virginians goes back a lot longer than fan behavior, at least in some circles, don't ya think? I think it runs deeper than fan behavior at sporting events, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 7209
:) I make armor, my company, DSM Dyneema ate DuPonts lunch about 10 years ago, so almost all armor is now Dyneema. Ultra High molecular weight polyethylene not para aramid (kevlar) anymore :) Only armor that is poor quality and cheap use kevlar now

Sorry, just had to say it, carry on.
You guys into ceramics, too?

No, I wouldn't expect WVU's base to get any respect acting badly like that. But I think you're missing my point and that is the disrespectful attitude toward West Virginians goes back a lot longer than fan behavior, at least in some circles, don't ya think? I think it runs deeper than fan behavior at sporting events, but that's just my opinion.
It definitely does. Some is justified, but a lot isn’t. I get it - WV is backwards. It’s rural. It has its economic hardships. But, damn, almost anytime I’ve been there (not for football games), the people have treated me and my family with nothing but respect and hospitality. And, row, we hat a beautiful state. We spent a weekend this past January at New River Gorge and another weekend for the Highlands Sky 40 Miler near Canaan Valley and Blackwster Falls. We absolutely loved both weekends. Hell, I bought my last two cars in Motown.

I live in Fayette County, PA, so I empathize with the reputation Wv has. Like Fayette County, WV definitely has bad apples that play into that stereotype. However, a lot of folks a lot closer to Pittsburgh are flat-out arrogant about the class of the region, and it is unwarranted. You don’t have to go too far out of Downtown Pittsburgh to find a lot of people that live up to the same stereotypes that Pittsburghers throw at WV, Fayette and Greene Counties, etc.

And the statement made by someone earlier that Pitt fans view WVU the same way PSU views Pitt was 100% spot on.

thank you. worked in north central wv for 15 years. nicest people on earth.the fans at wvu-you can have them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT