ADVERTISEMENT

Article With recruiting done and the roster built, Stallings likes what he sees

Thanks Chris!

Come on guys. Get this thread going! Great stuff in the Stallings interview. I love this quote:

“I don't know where our talent level will rank in this unbelievably tough conference (ACC), but I got the feeling that our effort level and toughness level will be pretty good.

Stallings seems to like this group. Let's see what they can do. Sounds like Carr, Stewart and Luther will have big roles. He mentioned Kham Davis by name too so maybe he has a good future here. Wilson Frame has some habits to break and hopefully he can work them out by January.

What other nuggets are worth discussing??

Reactions: Saboteur
Not expecting much as I think it’s us and BC fighting to not finish last. But if the effort and toughness is there and remains it’s at least a positive step in the right direction.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I think this year's theme from Stallings will be very, very positive even as the losses mount and he will say things like "this group is keeping their head up, they are coachable, and we are seeing improvement every day even if you don't see the results on the court." All of that may be true but its in his best interest to say it whether these guys are any good or not.

I think this year's theme from Stallings will be very, very positive even as the losses mount and he will say things like "this group is keeping their head up, they are coachable, and we are seeing improvement every day even if you don't see the results on the court." All of that may be true but its in his best interest to say it whether these guys are any good or not.
Won't put fannies in the seats.

Reactions: TONY13
A positive result would be to win 3-4 games in the ACC, and not finish in last place. For 3 or 4 of the young guys to look like keepers, with at least one looking like a future star.

I agree that wouldn't be terrible.

I just find it astonishing that a fanbase that found 11-7, 8-10, and 9-9 in our first three ACC years to be so unbearable and offer, that now we are willing to say a 3-15 record would be a positive.

A positive result would be to win 3-4 games in the ACC, and not finish in last place. For 3 or 4 of the young guys to look like keepers, with at least one looking like a future star.

I agree that wouldn't be terrible.

I just find it astonishing that a fanbase that found 11-7, 8-10, and 9-9 in our first three ACC years to be so unbearable and offer, that now we are willing to say a 3-15 record would be a positive.

We realize we are on self-imposed probation. That's why.

The guys pretty candid. Always has been. I find the quote refreshing because he's always been one to say what he believes.

I guess this is the point at which this thread turns into an anti Stallings bash session.
I think Stallings soured on the bad attitude pretty quickly last season. He's clearly not inclined to babysit. That brings out the worst in him....I'm.the same way.

The guys pretty candid. Always has been. I find the quote refreshing because he's always been one to say what he believes.

I guess this is the point at which this thread turns into an anti Stallings bash session.

Has he always been one to say what he believes? I know he was very willing to rip players he inherited from Dixon in the media. I don't think that's the same thing as "telling it how it is." He shows a lack of reflection and self awareness with quotes like this: “We’ve had to do some unconventional recruiting because of the sheer numbers of what we’ve been forced to do.” This dude gutted his own roster and was unable to retain his best returning player, and is still deflecting. He wasn't forced to recruit 11 players - that was his choice for constructing his roster for this year.

Another example, "I don’t know where our talent level will rank in this unbelievably tough conference, but I’ve got a feeling that our effort level and our toughness level will be pretty good." Sounds like another excuse-in-the-making - my conference is hard so it's not my fault that my team stinks.

I hope this team exceeds expectations, but if it's as bad as most think it will be I will be very interested to follow Stallings' comments in to the media and compare them to the way he talked about Artis and Young last year.

EDIT: At the end of the video he does take credit for last year's debacle - it just didn't make it into Chris's article. Mea culpa, credit to Stallings for accepting responsibility.

Last edited:
Has he always been one to say what he believes? I know he was very willing to rip players he inherited from Dixon in the media. I don't think that's the same thing as "telling it how it is." He shows a lack of reflection and self awareness with quotes like this: “We’ve had to do some unconventional recruiting because of the sheer numbers of what we’ve been forced to do.” This dude gutted his own roster and was unable to retain his best returning player, and is still deflecting. He wasn't forced to recruit 11 players - that was his choice for constructing his roster for this year.

Another example, "I don’t know where our talent level will rank in this unbelievably tough conference, but I’ve got a feeling that our effort level and our toughness level will be pretty good." Sounds like another excuse-in-the-making - my conference is hard so it's not my fault that my team stinks.

I hope this team exceeds expectations, but if it's as bad as most think it will be I will be very interested to follow Stallings' comments in to the media and compare them to the way he talked about Artis and Young last year.

EDIT: At the end of the video he does take credit for last year's debacle - it just didn't make it into Chris's article. Mea culpa, credit to Stallings for accepting responsibility.
Besides Johnson, what other players should he have kept? If he's going to get his clock cleaned then don't you think it should happen with his players instead of the deadwood he got rid of? Also, I haven't heard but has Manigault landed anywhere?

Besides Johnson, what other players should he have kept? If he's going to get his clock cleaned then don't you think it should happen with his players instead of the deadwood he got rid of? Also, I haven't heard but has Manigault landed anywhere?

Without having seen practices, I'm not saying he should or should not have kept any of them. I'm only saying that he chose not to, and should not be given a pass for having 90% roster turnover. To his credit, he more or less acknowledges the same later on in the interview.

I watched the video and got a different/better vibe than from the selected quotes.
Nothing wrong with the quotes selected, but there's always a disconnect.
I also watched the players in the background...they were eating lunch.
Much good body language to be found. Talent without drive is frustrating. Wasted.
If Stallings can get these guys to play hard and give it all they have then I will be completely satisfied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT