ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball

Black Panther

Head Coach
Jul 9, 2001
Panther Hollow
Pitt finally pulled away from a pesky Lamoyne team tonight.The won by 17,but it was only a three point game at the half.This is Laymoynes first year in D1.

LeMoyne is bad. They are now 2-10. They've played two teams in the top 25. They lost to Colorado by 59 and to USC by 51.

It seemed like the whole team was just out of sync for most of the game. This is a game that I think Liatu King could have completely dominated. But she played like as if she thought that too, and just seemed too much in a hurry all the time. She had 12 and 7, but with 6 turnovers.

Aaryn Battle was the person who played the best. 17 and 6 with 3 assists and 2 turnovers. She seems to have gotten a lot more comfortable with college basketball since the beginning of the season. So that's one good sign.

And somehow Marley Washenitz has turned into a superior rebounder for a point guard. She had 10 tonight. That means her last four games are 10, 7, 9 and 10. Where did that come from? She only scored four points on 2-5 from the field, but you can't complain about 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 turnovers (still too many), 5 blocks and 3 steals.

The one thing that drives me crazy (and apparently coach Verdi as well) is that this team is just so, so bad at making passes into the post. I don't think that any of them are good at it, or even just average. There were so many times tonight where a good post entry pass would have gotten a layup, and instead what it got was a turnover. They really need to fix that, and yet I'm not sure they can. At least not in the short term.

Unfortunately, there are a couple big beat downs coming soon. Virginia Tech this weekend is going to be bad. Notre Dame next week might be worse. And there are several others after that that are not going to be pretty at all.

BTW, if anyone was watching the stream until the end, did they say what the Pitt bench got the technical for with just over a minute left in the game. My complete speculation is that when they put Raeven Bosewell into the game that she was either wearing the wrong number or she wasn't listed in the official score book at all. The Pitt bench didn't seem bothered by the technical, so it had to be something like that.

The other thing is, did they say why Bella Perkins did not play? She was dressed and went through warm ups, but she didn't even get in at the end when they put Rust and then Bosewell into the game, so there had to be something going on there.

Reactions: gary2
LeMoyne is bad. They are now 2-10. They've played two teams in the top 25. They lost to Colorado by 59 and to USC by 51.

It seemed like the whole team was just out of sync for most of the game. This is a game that I think Liatu King could have completely dominated. But she played like as if she thought that too, and just seemed too much in a hurry all the time. She had 12 and 7, but with 6 turnovers.

Aaryn Battle was the person who played the best. 17 and 6 with 3 assists and 2 turnovers. She seems to have gotten a lot more comfortable with college basketball since the beginning of the season. So that's one good sign.

And somehow Marley Washenitz has turned into a superior rebounder for a point guard. She had 10 tonight. That means her last four games are 10, 7, 9 and 10. Where did that come from? She only scored four points on 2-5 from the field, but you can't complain about 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 turnovers (still too many), 5 blocks and 3 steals.

The one thing that drives me crazy (and apparently coach Verdi as well) is that this team is just so, so bad at making passes into the post. I don't think that any of them are good at it, or even just average. There were so many times tonight where a good post entry pass would have gotten a layup, and instead what it got was a turnover. They really need to fix that, and yet I'm not sure they can. At least not in the short term.

Unfortunately, there are a couple big beat downs coming soon. Virginia Tech this weekend is going to be bad. Notre Dame next week might be worse. And there are several others after that that are not going to be pretty at all.
So, you thought LeMoyne was bad? LOL I thought
they were probably the worst team our women played
against this year. Unfortunately for a good part of the
game we played pretty close to their level. At least it
looked that way from my couch watching it on tv. My
guess is the X'mas lay off hurt them. This game was a
lot closer than the final score.

As for Marley W and rebounding I can kinda see why. She
often plays like it's Demolition Derby. She not only crashes
the boards, but she crashes into opponents on the break.
She also crashes into her own team mates. She had 5 blocks,
that too is unheard of for a guard, let alone a point guard. But
then again....Demolition Derby. She also hits the floor more
than most players hustling after loose balls. She's tough.
7 Assist vs 4 TO's, not that bad, but I thought she had more
than 4 TO's. She's an athlete, and IMO would be a great
football player, Fullback, Inside LB'r or maybe strong safety.
10 rebounds! Great!

You're right about Battle. Also, she's smooth, takes what's there,
and doesn't force it.

Malcolm? Not her best game. She has to shoot more. She's a
bit slow and that doesn't help, but she can hit.

Passes to the post?? Are you sure? LOL. They continually force it
in there. Lobs that won't work because we' have no height in there.
Bounce passes when they're covered inside. We had 21 TO's, AGAIN.
21 against this team? Well, of those 21, many were often a result of
those passes inside when it's not there.

All in all, a win. I'll cut em a break and say the long layoff hurt them.
As we all know, what's coming up is downright frightening. As long
as they keep their spirits up, and retain their team chemistry which
seems very good, let's see what they can do against VERY superior
competition.

Oh, one last thought. Those fouls against
King were ridiculous. The spin move was not
a travel. Two of her offensive charges were
very poor in my estimation. The one benefit
of watching the game on tv, is you get to see
the replays. The ref clearly IMO, missed all
three of those. By the way, I felt he was
trying to control what was happening on
the floor. You guys who were there, what do
you think?

Nice to see Battle improving with experience. That may be one of the few positives from this season.

Seriously - I don’t expect them to win another game. Maybe if Malcolm and Battle and Perkins all get hot from three in the same game…

Go Pitt.

The t was for wearing a wrong number.Apparently she was listed as #5 but was wearing #55.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. She normally wears 5 and the 55 jersey she was wearing didn't have her name on the back. It's still kind of odd though, because if they would have just put her in the book as number 55 before the game everything would have been OK.

Malcolm? Not her best game. She has to shoot more. She's a
bit slow and that doesn't help, but she can hit.

It was no coincidence that when she started to score we started to pull away.

They desperately need her to make some threes every game, just to force the defense to guard the perimeter.

Seriously - I don’t expect them to win another game. Maybe if Malcolm and Battle and Perkins all get hot from three in the same game…

Wake would be the other really bad team this year. They are 4-8, and have lost to North Carolina A&T and barely beat Norfolk State. But otherwise, yeah, it will be a big upset if they win a conference game.

Wake would be the other really bad team this year. They are 4-8, and have lost to North Carolina A&T and barely beat Norfolk State. But otherwise, yeah, it will be a big upset if they win a conference game.
Having said that,

Initial impressions of Verdi?

Nice to see Battle improving with experience. That may be one of the few positives from this season.

Go Pitt.
I actually think she could do more than she's doing.
We took the game over when she controlled much
of the offensive action in the 3 Qtr. What I like about
her is she seems do do it effortlessly. She can get to
the hoop, she has a decent shot, and could probably
run the point. However putting her at the point would
put Marley W at shooting guard. I'd like to see Battle
and Malcolm getting off more shots from the outside,
and not force it inside.

Not "expecting them to win another game?" I wish I could
argue, but I have to agree. Maybe as JPF posted, Wake is a
poor team and we might have a chance there.

Having said that,

Initial impressions of Verdi?

I think he's going to have a stroke before this season ends!

Seriously though, they are so undermanned that I don't think you can get a really good read. I mean he's doing what he needs to so far, but the talent on this team is so bad that if Geno Auriemma was the head coach they wouldn't be winning many games. He's got a huge job in front of him to bring in players, and then if he can do that we can see if his coaching is good enough at this level.

Not "expecting them to win another game?" I wish I could
argue, but I have to agree. Maybe as JPF posted, Wake is a
poor team and we might have a chance there.

If you are just talking about a chance, they'll have a chance in a couple other games. They play BC twice and they could win one of those. Virginia and Georgia Tech weren't much better than us last year. I don't know how much either of them may have improved, but as the season goes on it would not be a shock to beat either of those.

Don't get me wrong, we certainly won't be favored to beat any of those teams. But if you play five or six games where you are a 25-30% underdog you are more likely to win one or two than to lose them all.

I don't know anything about the supposedly weaker teams
in the ACC, so maybe there's a chance. What I watched last
night was us at it's worst, We play like that against Syracuse,
VT, ND , Duke etc, we have no chance. Hopefully that game
was due to X'mas layoff. One or two wins against the teams
you mentioned will be a reach. I can't imagine any of those
teams being in the same stratosphere as LeMoyne who hung
with us for a major part of the game. A winless conference
record will take a major effort by the coach to keep his players
being motivated and staying positive. "One or two" wins will
go along way in that effort.

I think he's going to have a stroke before this season ends!

Seriously though, they are so undermanned that I don't think you can get a really good read. I mean he's doing what he needs to so far, but the talent on this team is so bad that if Geno Auriemma was the head coach they wouldn't be winning many games. He's got a huge job in front of him to bring in players, and then if he can do that we can see if his coaching is good enough at this level.
"Stroke?" LOL Well you get a first hand look at his in game histrionics,
body language, etc . It doesn't show on the tube.

Answering Gary's question, I'd agree with your assessment....."he's
doing what he needs to do so far." Given the talent level, he can
only do so much.

What I do see is an attempt to actually play bball, and they do
seem to have a clue as to what they're trying to do. They're just
not good enough to pull it off continually. Judging by what I see on
the floor, it's a big improvement over the last several years.

He can be, let's say, very demonstrative in the huddles when they are not playing well. And as we know, they are frequently not playing well.

It also looked like he was ready to strangle one of the refs after one of those charging calls on King last night.

An interesting side note on the number mess up.When I was playing our scorekeeper put me down as #14 and I was actually #15.Somebody alerted our coach before someone caught it. And at halftime I took 14 and gave my number 15 to the other guy.

An interesting side note on the number mess up.When I was playing our scorekeeper put me down as #14 and I was actually #15.Somebody alerted our coach before someone caught it. And at halftime I took 14 and gave my number 15 to the other guy.
I've seen it happen a number of times. Often it's picked
up before the game even starts. I've actually seen the
game begin with a technicalfoul being called for a
scorebook error. Easy to blame the coach; easy to
blame the scorekeeper. Answer....one of the the
assistant coaches should be assigned to check the
book before it's submitted and before the game
actually begins.

I've seen it happen a number of times. Often it's picked
up before the game even starts. I've actually seen the
game begin with a technicalfoul being called for a
scorebook error. Easy to blame the coach; easy to
blame the scorekeeper. Answer....one of the the
assistant coaches should be assigned to check the
book before it's submitted and before the game
actually begins.

An assistant actually does that. And the Pitt bench basically didn't react at all when the refs were talking about it and then assessing the technical. The refs didn't even go over to the bench to explain the call to Verdi. It seemed pretty clear that he knew what was going one. Which makes me think that something happened that they knew they were going to get the technical called and they didn't really care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT