ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I was on a three+ hour flight yesterday that left Minnesota around 5:30 local time and didn't get back home (Phoenix - MST) until after both of the selection shows had aired. I recorded both the NCAA and NIT selection shows and watched the NCAA Selection first. After not seeing Pitt announced, I switched to the NIT show. Mind you, I did not know (at the moment) that Pitt had already turned down an NIT invite! (maybe I should've come to the Basketball Board first) As the NIT brackets unfolded and it got down to the last 8 teams, it finally dawned on me that we must have declined. I figured that OK, Indiana and St John's reneged, but was quite surprised to see that we did, too

As I mentioned in a late-night post, the sudden and abrupt end to the basketball season was my biggest "shock". I certainly was looking forward (as a fan) to watching a few more games

I don't know how engaged I will be with the Tournament this year. As the Final Four approaches I'll see a lot of local news reports since the venue for the FF is in Glendale, AZ. I may skip over the first two rounds and wait until the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight before committing to watch an entire game. As I'm sure with many other "Pitt-first" fans, the Tournament is so much more fun to watch when we are a part of it

More fun when we are a part of it. Plus this is the biggest gut punch I can remember. Spent about 2 days pissed about it (it started during the buildup).

That said - I’m sure I’ll come around by Thursday.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Watched a selection show review on some network. And a panel that included Jon Rothstein was talking to a member called Bubba. He will be chair next year. What struck me is that when asked what did the committee look for most he talked about different things but then said and those things can change from year to year because members might find something else more important that year.

I thought holy hell just turn this thing over to AI with some initial parameters and then let machine learning evaluate each game and learn who are the best teams. AI could evaluate e@ch score and determine the quality of opponent on the floor at that time and come up with who really are best teams.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
More fun when we are a part of it. Plus this is the biggest gut punch I can remember. Spent about 2 days pissed about it (it started during the buildup).

That said - I’m sure I’ll come around by Thursday.
Gut punch is a good description; I'm pretty sure the players feel that way, too. I wonder if that "gut punch" for them is enough to make our three guards want to come back for another season @ Pitt? I know that Bub will be getting all kinds of advice about leaving for the NBA, but I feel another year (hopefully @ Pitt) will give him the added experience before moving on

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Watched a selection show review on some network. And a panel that included Jon Rothstein was talking to a member called Bubba. He will be chair next year. What struck me is that when asked what did the committee look for most he talked about different things but then said and those things can change from year to year because members might find something else more important that year.

I thought holy hell just turn this thing over to AI with some initial parameters and then let machine learning evaluate each game and learn who are the best teams. AI could evaluate e@ch score and determine the quality of opponent on the floor at that time and come up with who really are best teams.
It seemed pretty certain - from briefly listening to the Committee chairman who commented on CBS last night - that the SOS for the OOC games was the key factor ... this year. And speaking of AI, am I the only one here that believes that SMF is not a real person? A few other posters are close to him in their number of posts/replies ... I don't know how y'all do it (post so many)

I was on a three+ hour flight yesterday that left Minnesota around 5:30 local time and didn't get back home (Phoenix - MST) until after both of the selection shows had aired. I recorded both the NCAA and NIT selection shows and watched the NCAA Selection first. After not seeing Pitt announced, I switched to the NIT show. Mind you, I did not know (at the moment) that Pitt had already turned down an NIT invite! (maybe I should've come to the Basketball Board first) As the NIT brackets unfolded and it got down to the last 8 teams, it finally dawned on me that we must have declined. I figured that OK, Indiana and St John's reneged, but was quite surprised to see that we did, too

As I mentioned in a late-night post, the sudden and abrupt end to the basketball season was my biggest "shock". I certainly was looking forward (as a fan) to watching a few more games

I don't know how engaged I will be with the Tournament this year. As the Final Four approaches I'll see a lot of local news reports since the venue for the FF is in Glendale, AZ. I may skip over the first two rounds and wait until the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight before committing to watch an entire game. As I'm sure with many other "Pitt-first" fans, the Tournament is so much more fun to watch when we are a part of it
Grab a cold one and enjoy the tournament.

The most important thing to remember is that for all but one team, it will end in tears.

Gut punch is a good description; I'm pretty sure the players feel that way, too. I wonder if that "gut punch" for them is enough to make our three guards want to come back for another season @ Pitt? I know that Bub will be getting all kinds of advice about leaving for the NBA, but I feel another year (hopefully @ Pitt) will give him the added experience before moving on

I’m just a lowly fan/alumn and it makes me want to do more about it (donate, more games, etc).

Maybe it does for the team too, but finances are part of it. We’ll have to come strong. As far as basketball, Bub needs another year. And it could be special while making $.

I was in the same situation out all day and then checked on the results on the Board... Not very interested until maybe the sweet sixteen. I'll be out of network the 26th - 30th and offline on purpose..happy I'll be missing the games that Pitt should have been in. Until next year...H2P!!!

Basically what he was saying is that the committee members pick and choose the metrics that support the team they want to get into the dance.

The reality is the committees isn’t about picking the best 68 teams but rather picking teams that either draw ratings (see CFB) or
Try horse trade teams like politicians (ie if you let the team from my conference in I’ll support your team)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT